Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have officially owned my car (SE Focus Hatchback with Sport/Winter Package and moonroof) for a week this coming Saturday (Aug 28). I currently have just shy of 500 miles on it (did a couple of trips up and down the state that weren't my typical driving habit), but it allowed me to get used to the car much quicker.

Got out of a 2005 Escape Limited, and boy, what a difference. On the highway I've been averaging 38mpg, with 33mpg currently displaying for my city driving. Love the way the car handles, and all of the reviews I have watched and read were correct, it doesn't feel like a compact car when you drive it. I haven't used the SelectShift option yet, but the dual clutch system, for the most part, seems to be pretty solid. The only time I question it is when I am at a complete stop and left off the brake....it seems like the computer isn't sure if I want to remain stopped or I want to start to go, it's almost as if the trasmission stutters a little bit (that's the only word I could thing of) during this time. Other than that, absolutely love it.
I've had some passenger, both in the front and the rear, and neither complained about the room (they were 5'8" and 5'6", I'm 5"10" myself). I did have to drop the height of the drivers seat because my hear was rubbing the ceiling, but after I did, it was much better. Doesn't look as though the passenger seat allows for height adjustment however. The SYNC system is both great and a pain at the same time. Seems to work well for all of the audio stuff, not so much with interacting with my phone however. Sometimes an audible tone will play for a text message (of which I can never reply to from SYNC) but most of the time it will not. I've been told the audio quality over the phone can be spotty, sometimes I sound find, other times I've been told it sounds like I'm talking into a can underwater. Issues, yes, but still enjoy the system, just wish it worked with Sirius on non-MFT models.

So, at almost a week in, I'm absolutely loving this car. I finally paid off my 2005 Escape back in January, and was really looking forward to not having a car payment for a while, but the gas mileage (no more than 22mpg on the highway, average of 20), just wasn't cutting it. I think I made a good choice, and would certainly recommend the car to people looking at this car segment.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
have had a few issues with the other end hearing me through the car as well. probably depends on phone signal and the car, cant expect the car to solve signal issues.

you should hear a text tone through the speakers when you have the car set to bluetooth audio, but no other time that i have heard.

glad youre enjoying the car! how fast do you drive on the highway to get 38mpg? I can't seem to get up past 31-32 but I drive 75-80.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive 75 on the highway (lock me cruise control in right there).
I do hear the text tone through the car speakers when I have it on bluetooth audio, but when I don't, I'll hear an alert sound about 15-20% of the time that is coming from SYNC when I receive a text...it just doesn't happen often or all the time.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
glad youre enjoying the car! how fast do you drive on the highway to get 38mpg? I can't seem to get up past 31-32 but I drive 75-80.
Christ! Speed limits on my roads are 55 to 65... Needless to say, after my last $263.50 ticket, I hardly speed anymore.

So far I've found my fuel consumption to be:

50 mph: 47 mpg
55 mph: 45 mpg
60 mph: 42 mpg
65 mph: 40 mpg
70 mph: 37.5 mpg

and apparently:
80mph: 32mpg

I bet cruising at about 35mph you could hit 53-54 mpg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts