Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flushed the antifeeze 2 days ago because the antifreeze was solid brown and sludgy. The car was fine yesterday when I drove it to school. Today I pulled into school and antifreeze was spewing out of the bottle. I did have more antifreeze in it than the maximum line, so I thought maybe it was trying to dump the excess antifreeze out. But earlier on break at school I went out on break and looked. There was no antifreeze left in the bottle. I had some in my car I added. I added antifreeze to in between the min and max line. I got home and the car acted like nothing was wrong. No spewing like before. But now the antifreeze was on the minimum line. Could something be stuck from the sludge-like antifreeze that was in it before? Headgasket about to blow? I just blew one in my last car over winter...and I bought this car thinking it wouldnt happen. lol Atleast not this soon. It has 95k miles. By the way the temp gauge always stayed on normal, and the check engine light never came on. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I did both. But it turns out I guess I didnt purge the system long enough. The car has been acting normal and my gas mileage went back up to normal. (I was getting 37 but lately I was getting 30). The only thing is that some antifreeze is going somewhere. A little bit disapears after I drive it for 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If the antifreeze was brown and sludgy, it could possibly mean that some motor oil is mixing with it. Is this car automatic? I would take a whiff off the overflow tank (when its cold so you don't burn yourself) and check if it smells like exhaust fumes.

Are you sure there are no leaks?

·
Registered
666 Posts
you have air in your system... run the car with the coolant tank cap off .. run it like that for 30 min (just idle it, dont drive it!) .. if you see little bubbles, there is your culprit.

btw.. coolant should NEVER be brown.

·
Registered
666 Posts
By the way... your coolant reservoir should NOT be above the minimum line when the engine is fully warmed up (driven for a mile or two) .. the coolant level goes up to the maximum line once the car cools down. Adding more coolant than this will blow your coolant all over the place because of the pressure.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure there is no leaks. I have parked it in our barn (concrete) and nothing leaked overnight. yea that was the whole reason I flushed it because I know antifreeze isnt supposed to be brown. lol I think I got all the air out. I had let it idle for 30 minutes before but I guess not all of the air got out. Im just curious as to where the little bit of antifreeze is going. Oh and it is a 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Oblivion's comment was bass - ackwards....(grin)

coolant goes UP to the max when car is fully warm, and drops as it cools. (hot liquid expands)....

Yeah, sounds like you got the air out now...

Slow leakage is OFTEN at hose connections on older vehicles. Corrosion between the fitting and the hose allows slow seepage that often is hard to see.. Look for small white-ish deposits at connections - that's evaporated coolant from SLOW leakage....

A pressure test of the system would tell you more, and allow for checking the system under pressure when it ISN'T hot, so you can look around easier without dealing with hot components...

Luck!

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks for the info!! I will look at hoses tomorrow before work. Once again my car has been acting fine. Except a tiny little bit is gone from the bottle. The weird thing is, is if coolant is leaking, wouldnt there be drips on the floor from where it leaked? So far there have been no signs of leakage other than coolant missing.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Steam could be the culprit. If there is a slow leak, like Jerry mentioned, it could be doing two things. First, it is only letting a little water out. It isn't fast enough to leave a drip, and only happens under pressure with a hot system. It evaporates and leaves those white deposits. Second, it lets air in the system. That reduces pressures and increases operating temperatures, letting some of the antifreeze boil off.

Pressure test it to check it cool and see if you have any damp spots around the connections. If you haven't already done so, replace the clamps. I hate the stock pinch ones.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That makes sense! Alot of my stock clamps are completely rusted. I will look in the morning and see if any lines are damaged, check for damp spots, and check for white deposits.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I checked all the lines and there wasnt any white deposits or damp spots. Alot of clamps looked rusty but that was about it. I will look around about doing a pressure test. Or have an actual shop do it because I also need a tire repaired again. lol

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
If you have an air compressor and a second cap that you can put a hole in then you can pressure test on your own.

I think the shop charges an hour labor for it, and that sucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts