Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now I have the Roush suspension. I still feel that my cars handling characteristics are, well, not good enough. So, I'm think of moving to the H&R race springs which are significantly stiffer from what I've read. Now my question is, would I need or should I get new shocks/struts. Keep in mind I have the Roush suspension kit.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A good match for H&R race springs are Koni adjustable shocks and struts. Those are a serious spring and you need a very good shock to dampen them. I haven't seen a posting for Roush's spring rates but I don't think they're close to H&R's 325 lbs/ in front and 375 lbs/in rear ratings. From what i have read, most Roush parts are rebadged Ford racing parts.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm. I think I read somewhere that the roush's are actually eibach sport springs. Which are F 262 R 171. Which still isn't close to the same. I've read that you and some others don't think anything other than koni will work. However I also read that a guy road a few thousand miles on the svt shocks and have yet to have a problem. Now, I know eventually he will. But if I could get oh idk 30,000 out of them I would be happy.

Now, I understand how lowering springs can screw up stock shocks/struts, but how can stiffer springs ruin shocks already made for that drop? A stiffer spring wouldn't allow as much movement so, how does this make sense?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just had a look at the ford racing shocks/struts and thats definitely what mine are. So I'm going to take an educated guess and say thats what the springs are as well. I have no idea what the pring rates are for those springs. Perhaps someone can chip in here?

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
the ford racing ones are the eibach pro, not to be confused with the sport. The sports are progressive whereas the pro springs are linear.

But yeah, best shock for that would have to be Konis.

Personally, i would save some money and sell those, then get full coilovers that have dampening adjustability.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks. At least I know what the darn things are now. I'm still looking for something cheap that will give me a much better ride.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
here's a dumb question but have you tryed upgradeing sway's to make it handle better? beleave me bolting up just the rear sway is not enough.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I haven't. When I pay this car off I plan on keeping it and turning it into a track car. I would just go a head and buy coil-overs, but, I don't have the money for that right now, so I want to buy something cheaper that will simulate the ride as best as possible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Roush springs are rebadged progress springs as is the rear swaybar.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be to big of a drop for the shocks that I have. The h&r race are only .5 lower than the front and .25 in the rear I believe

·
Registered
476 Posts
i have the roush stuff and i like it. just upgrade the sways. dont waste money

1 - 13 of 13 Posts