Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What strut is the best match for these springs? H&R said that they don't have a specific recommendation, but Konis (pfft!) or Bilsteins (not available for the 00-05) would work fine. I am hoping someone here has some experience they can share.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
I had the H&R race springs married to a set of Roush dampers on My 03, and they were a perfect pair. Not sure of the availability of new Roush shocks/struts nowadays, but if You can find em I would highly recommend jumping on em.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
i had those springs paired up with some kyb agx struts and I loved the set up.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Serious springs require serious shocks. Koni spots are about the only "serious" shock readily available for a Focus.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serious springs require serious shocks. Koni spots are about the only "serious" shock readily available for a Focus.
Ugh, what a sad statement that is. Are the FRPP Dynamic dampers any good? My experience (and the experience of many others) has been that Konis are made of compressed drier lint and end up with oil all over them faster than the hair of a Jersey Shore cast member. I have neither the time nor the budget for shocks that last only 20K. If I can get the Bilsteins (06+ only) to work with 00-05 springs, that is my first choice.

The teamDFL rule of dampers:
Adjustable
Cheap
Durable
Pick two and be happy when you get that because in many case you won't.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
There's no adjustable Bilsteins except those that come with their coilover sets that are adjustable (compression or rebound if that's what you're referring to). Bilstein HD's aren't really recommended for significant spring rate increases or drops. Koni is the only one I know that can handle both and are considered by most, an ideal match for H&R race springs which are both low and very stiff (@ 325F and 375R spring rates). Ford Racing Dynamics by Tokico may be a possible option but they are not adjustable nor exactly cheap (depending on what your definition of cheap is).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no adjustable Bilsteins except those that come with their coilover sets that are adjustable (compression or rebound if that's what you're referring to).
That is correct.
Adjustable
Cheap
Durable
Bilstein gives you the last two, Koni gives you the first.

Bilstein HD's aren't really recommended for significant spring rate increases or drops.
Not only that, but I spoke with Wes in the tech department of Bilstein USA West (San Diego) and he said there is no valving difference between the HD (B6) and Sport (B8) for the Focus. Thankfully, custom valving is only $75, but since the struts are nearly $250 each, that is rapidly getting away from cheap, so, as I said before, be happy when you get two.

Koni is the only one I know that can handle both and are considered by most, an ideal match for H&R race springs which are both low and very stiff (@ 325F and 375R spring rates).
But with Konis the question is for how long? Give me a season of high lateral loads flexing their spindly second rate steel shafts combined with some curb hopping to show up their miserable high speed leakage which blows out the seals, and I'll mail you some Koni shock oil as it will be everywhere but in the damper.

Ford Racing Dynamics by Tokico may be a possible option but they are not adjustable nor exactly cheap (depending on what your definition of cheap is).
Cheaper than Bilsteins and not too far off Konis. Tell me more about these shocks please. Monontubes? I think the original Multimatics were.

Maybe I'll just stick with the Bilkensteins. Get a revalve and be done.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The Dynamics aka mutimatic (by Dynamic) were created for the 00-05 spec focus crowd (the road race guys). These have the really nice inverted shaft design (big and beefy). The 06+ foci spec racers wanted something as well. Ford racing came up with the Dynamic by Tokico. Its not inverted but is suppose to be just as firm. You'd need to talk to some spec focus guys to verify how good they really are. Personally, I've never liked Tokicos except for the Illuminas which unfortunately aren't available for the Focus. I have revalved Bilstein HD's on my Miata and love them. I've seen revalved HD's used on rally cars and was close to getting them on my SCCA Grp 5 RX7 but college for two boys imploded that idea years ago. They are truly beautiful and versatile shocks.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
I've not had issues with my setup (H&R race with koni yellows), but its been limited to autox, driving to events, and the occasional hooning through the mountains. 3 seasons so far, but no crazy curb hopping heroics here:p

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dynamics aka mutimatic (by Dynamic) were created for the 00-05 spec focus crowd (the road race guys). These have the really nice inverted shaft design (big and beefy). The 06+ foci spec racers wanted something as well. Ford racing came up with the Dynamic by Tokico. Its not inverted but is suppose to be just as firm. You'd need to talk to some spec focus guys to verify how good they really are. Personally, I've never liked Tokicos except for the Illuminas which unfortunately aren't available for the Focus. I have revalved Bilstein HD's on my Miata and love them. I've seen revalved HD's used on rally cars and was close to getting them on my SCCA Grp 5 RX7 but college for two boys imploded that idea years ago. They are truly beautiful and versatile shocks.
It really is very hard to beat custom valved Bilsteins, isn't it? I cannot believe that the Focus units are $500/pair for the fronts. I've purchased a full set of Bilsteins for less than that before. Add in custom valving and springs, and you are close to their PSS9s and don't have the adjustability.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go with the Bilsteins. The question is whether I bite the bullet and get the new ones or revalve the Golf inserts adapted to Focus housing about 8 years ago. I am pretty sure the rears (from an e30 BMW) will do just fine.

I've not had issues with my setup (H&R race with koni yellows), but its been limited to autox, driving to events, and the occasional hooning through the mountains. 3 seasons so far, but no crazy curb hopping heroics here:p
They may do you well and as shocks, Konis generally aren't bad, but their struts are pretty miserable in my experience. They don't take side loading well; the shafts flex (evidenced by the scuffs and hot spots) and then the seals blow. I hope you continue to have success, but I tell anyone who is going to track a car with struts that Konis are a poor choice.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Do yourself a favor and listen to Geezer....he knows everything about anything suspension. The man's a legend round these parts.

For my two cents, H&R Race + Koni Yellow is a tried and proven combo.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do yourself a favor and listen to Geezer....he knows everything about anything suspension. The man's a legend round these parts.
Do yourself a favor and read the thread. Geezer and I have independently reached the same conclusion - Bilsteins are about as good as they come for reasonably priced off-the-shelf dampers. And nobody know everything about anything. Based on what Geezer has posted I am sure he knows this, but you'd do well to realize that there is always more to learn.

Anyhow, it seems 99% certain that I will end up with H&R coilovers. Found some used at a great price and I have a sneaking suspicion that they are actually Bilstein on the inside. Maybe not, but based on everything I have seen, I wouldn't be surprised. Sometimes the easy way out is the best.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Don't forget 'bout K/W's, teamDFL

·
Registered
8,023 Posts

For my two cents, H&R Race + Koni Yellow is a tried and proven combo.

God I hope not! There's lots and lots I'm still learning. It's just in my old age I've had a fair amount of experience, friends with even more experience, and the willingness to keep learning and sharing. And while I "really" like Bilsteins when there's an application available I also I Konis and personally haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned by TeamDFL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts