Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To begin, I do not race competitively, and if I do at all it's a road skurmish against the occasional Integra or Scion tC, but never at a track. That said--I want to lower my Focus for two reasons, each equally as important to me: 1. So I can take turns faster and 2. So it looks better with my new Konig 17" rims. My car has 50,000 miles on it with stock suspension and it came with the sway bar in the rear. I don't want to spend over 250 on this project though and that dwindles my options quite a bit. At first I considered the eibach pro-kit, but with college I can not afford to spend that much money. I also don't want my car to ride like a ricer with cut springs.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If 250 is all you got to work with, and you need it done now, then go with the SVT kit. Otherwise I would save up and do the H&R, you will get a lower stance and with better shocks it will handle o so nicely.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome!

How should I expect my car to handle with H&R's and an otherwise stock suspension?

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
my vote is for the SVT Suspension. I have that as well as Prothane Rear Sway Bar Bushings and I couldn't be happier! I believe this is what your looking for. Ride Quality is not sacrificed, Corning is much improved as well as the stance! I have my 04 SVT 6 Spoke 17's on there and they look sweet! Plus the SVT Suspension is standard on SVT Focus's so it should last for awhile, while maintaining its aggressiveness. I've very happy with it and for $245 plus shipping it's by far the best investment I've ever spent my money on. On-Ramps are my playground! It's great taking them at twice the posted limit. Again, SVT Suspension all the way!

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lildisco I like the way your car looks...That's a nice setup for sure. Thanks! Maybe i'll put a poll on here....

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
I personally cannot vouche for a H&R Kit, so Hopefully someone will who has it personally, but you can't go wrong with either of them. But the SVT Suspension comes with everything you need, the Prothane Rear Sway Bushing was on option that i was told to get and that's only $30 or so plus shipping. Have you read the suspension thread by The Frush?

Clicky Clicky

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope never read it until now! Hell of informative though. Thanks again Lildisco!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Shocks, springs, a rear sway plus proven engineering and performance for 250.00 makes the SVT the most bang for the buck. Its an outstanding deal. Add some performance tires to make it even better.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
If you are going to put on H&R springs, you better get dampers too. But since money is limited, the SVT is the best buy.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
^^^^what EGz said, if you dont want to spend alot dont get the H&R springs, alot of people just get springs and its not good, b/c itll prematurly wear your shocks and dampers, like in a year or less and the ride will be harsh. Go with the svt kit, its a great deal, but if its not low enough for you save your money until your can afford something else.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome, thanks I've decided on the SVT kit. If anybody happens to have one lying around used they want to sell me for a little cheaper PM me please. Thanks for everybody's input!

one more question if I might: If I buy the SVT kit and later on down the road decide to put some lower springs on it will I have the same premature wear on the shocks and dampers?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
You most likely would experience premature wear...generally speaking its best to stay with the springs designed for the struts.

Have fun with the SVT suspension, I just had mine installed (with the prothane sway bar bushings) today and its a big step up from the butter stock setup. The install isn't that hard, just be sure to go get spring compressors before you start, and air tools or a lift wouldn't hurt either if you have access to them

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
You can probally rent them from Autozone or Pepboys as long as you leave a deposit. Return then you get your deposit back. Call and ask. A spring compressor is about $50 give or take from who you get it from.

I've corrupted Geo, He saw mine at the Meet and was jealous [:D] [;)] I take it you like it as much as i do?

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to be the first person in the world to have a white SVT...and I ain't stopping til I get there!! ('cept the motor...)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
lildisco said:
You can probally rent them from Autozone or Pepboys as long as you leave a deposit. Return then you get your deposit back. Call and ask. A spring compressor is about $50 give or take from who you get it from.

I've corrupted Geo, He saw mine at the Meet and was jealous [:D] [;)] I take it you like it as much as i do?
I got the McPherson compressors and a coil spring compressor at Autozone...they basically "sell" them to you as a used tool, and then when you return them you get a refund. It was $90 for both, BTW.

When I got mine it was more of a spur-of-the-moment buy...I needed new suspension and I couldn't afford to drop $500+ on an Eibach setup like I wanted to so I went with the SVT kit, and I'm glad that I did. It is a big step up, and its a great deal when you consider how much it costs for what you're getting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts