Focus Fanatics Forum banner

gutted stock cat?

1898 Views 26 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Fordson
has anyone gutted their stock cat, i have the svt header/cat/flex in my garage waiting to be installed and the material on the inside is lose on one end, i dont really want to by uy a highflow right now or another stocker so would it hurt anything if i ripped out the material inside the cat that ralltes around.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
12,428 Posts
Dont waste your time trying it, We already tried that route. You can get the first layer of converter media out but there is a second layer after the bend in the cat that you cant get to.

ALSO the cat media is some form of aluminum that is bonded to the metal of the shell thats a major bitch to get loose. It took 2 of us over 3 hours to get the first layer of cat media out.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
wow i would have thought that a dremel and some cut off tools would have done the trick easily! guess not.

· Registered
12,428 Posts
We literally had to BEAT it out using a driving hammer and steel rods.....

I WONT do another one.

· The Librarian
13,670 Posts
MISVTfocus said:
Well the probs with these darn HFC's are that you need to replace them "every 3 years or 30,000 miles whichever comes first."
^^^No kidding?
Both the RT and CFM products?

· Registered
12,428 Posts
My first STOCK cat melted its guts together with in the first 5k miles. I was still NA at the time with just a couple of bolt ons and the STOCK tune.

· Registered
194 Posts
Actually the material inside the cat is a platinum alloy. That's one of the reasons that they are so expensive. How Stuff Works So you are actually throwing money away when you gut your stock cat. I know that junk yards keep them and sell them to companies that will remove and re-use the precious metals that are inside the converters.

Orange SVT's cat might have melted itself together because it was running too ritch, and over time the cat's couldn't handle the extra heat that was generated trying to lessen the effects on the environment. Once we ran a v6 dodge intrepid on I think 2 or 3 cylinders. We unplugged a spark plugs from each side and tried to see how many it would take before it wouldn't run. The cats started glowing red hot after a short while. It was cool to watch.

What I also know is that gutting your stock cat is more of a HP killer than any gain. Because of the honeycomb that is in there now, and the way that they are designed, they flow in a designed fashion. When you hammer a hole through it, you create turbulence and other bad effects inside your exhaust stream and disrupt the flow of exhaust out of the system. This in turn slows down the exhaust gasses out of the engine, thus slowing down the need for air on the other end.

· BAD EGG
8,240 Posts
Question: has anyone looked at gutting the Random Tech Highflow? Their ORP looks like it's the same thing minus the internal stuff.

· Registered
3,466 Posts
WD40 said:
^^^No kidding?
Both the RT and CFM products?
The R/T warrenty card that came with mine says you need to change it every 3 years or every 30,000 whichever comes first, I was really mad when I saw that actually. I think it has to do with the material that actually does the converting, there isn't much stuff inside of it. I am contemplating buying another one right now just in case I have to replace it and no one makes them anymore.

· Registered
3,466 Posts
LastRites said:
Question: has anyone looked at gutting the Random Tech Highflow? Their ORP looks like it's the same thing minus the internal stuff.
I think it would be pretty easy I was looking at mine again, I frigging bent my headers and had to put a old stocker set on. Luckily the cat was saved but I was thinking about maybe when this one dies just cutting out the inside material and using on the track as an ORP.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
HUH... replace R/T HFC at 30k? Not me, I'll keep running that expensive bastard till I see an issue with it. I wonder why? I've never heard of a cat with a life expectancy that short..

I have to read my warranty thing better I guess, I never noticed that. Now I'll need to dig it up and read it myself...

· Registered
3,466 Posts
I'm reading and quoting right from, it's actually a SHORTER life span than I original posted.

"Random Technology Inc warrants the original retail purchaser that it's Catalytic Converters have been designed and manufactured to meet EPA emissions reductions requirements for 2 YEARS OR 25,000 MILES, when the vehicle is properly maintained."

Also...the warranty kind of screws me over even if I did fill out the card because it also says.

"Converters which have been installed on vehicles with modified exhaust systems are not warrantied...Other reasons that may void the warranty include, but are not limited to, improper installation, maintance, misuse or abuse, use in off road/racing applications...Furthermore, proof of the engine being tuned to the original manufactures specifications is also required for warranty."

Basically their warranty sucks. You have to provide a crap load of stuff to them, and they hardly cover anything anyway. And you need to send the cat back to them if you want to claim something on it, and they do a full inspection.

Reading the whole thing over again really steamed my beans AGAIN.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Oh, ok.. that means they will only guarantee it's effectiveness for that amount of time. Thats a bit different from requiring replacement at those miles.

Thats like Ford, only covering your engine for 36,000 miles (02 warranty) I didn't run right out and buy a new one when I exceeded that mileage.

You had me scared for a bit there...lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.