Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im still building my focus in my garage. Slowly but surely. And I keep getting asked what my hp and torque should be when Im finished, and I have a rough idea, not too much over stock... but wanted to see what you guys thought, and comparing to other foci.

AEM True CAI
BBK 65mm TB
Ported Pre-2000 Intake Manifold
Focus Sport UDPs 2pc.
AEM Adjustable Cam Gears
OBX Long Tube Headers
Magnaflow Hi flow cat.
MBRP SS cat back
XCAL 2 tuner
oh and dont forget the ractive plug wires. lol

I think that sums it up, its a 5-spd tranny, and a 2000 zx3. 139,000km Lady driven. I havent driven it yet [hihi]

Im also debating on giving the intake ports on the head some work, taking away the lobe. And cleaning up the exhaust ports and doing the same, removing the loeb and all the carbon build up. Im just thinking it would be dumb to do without ripping it off to be done, and then properly cleaned.

Im thinking I could get away with cleaning up the exhaust ports, but may not touch the intake for fear of debris falling down inside, even with a rag shoved down in.

So what do you guys think? I wont get into all the other work that will be done, weight reduction etc. Wont affect hp and tq.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
how are you adding a Cat to long tube headers? I was always under the impression you cant do that, it would be interesting if you could. You will get a lot of perfromance from porting the head out, thats one of the most restrictive parts on the car, besides the OEM cat.

Im guessing 15 horse power, but by no means am I a expert so dont take that like it comes from someone who knows all (power from NA mods on these cars is hard), the thing thats going to be really noticible is the car will be a lot more responsive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as of now the headers eleminate the stock location for the cat. So I need to fab up a piece with a flex in it to go between the headers the the cat back, so I will be placing the cat at the very start of the cat back more then likely. Also want to get another resonator on there to make it a lil more quiet.

Also, from my research and looking over dyno sheets with a list of mods the cars had, Im almost positive I will gain more then 15hp. The tuner is a big help. I have a spare head I had planned to send out to port and polish... but havent, nor do I feel like rippin that motor down farther then it is. lol.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
id say you are in the 115-120 range

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Ya, 115-120 sounds right, make sure you get a 2.5 inch flex, else you are bottlenecking ur exhaust and loosing hP

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
im thinkin if you added a big wing and an autozone exhaust tip, ud be pushin about 500 whp. Probably get mad wheel hop.

no seriously, about 120 sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yeah so the focus stock has around 100-105whp w/ a 5speed tranny, so to 115-120 is a 15 hp gain. I wasnt saying youll have 15 hp when your done, I was guestimating youll have 115-120 whp.

Another thing about the location of the cat, if you do it this way let me know if it works. They typically put the cat as close to the exhaust port on the head to heat it up quicker, so I want to know if moving it has any consequences, im pretty sure it wont, im just wondering.

Have fun with it.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I heard of one guy having full boltons running 131whp. So you'll be close to that.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
i don't have a tune and im at 117 whp. youll be in the 120-125 range, depending on altitude and temp/humidity (i dynoed when air temps were 99* and high humidity)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think you should consider getting some cams. Even if they only get you to 135 or so they really help you stay in the powerband by continuing to make power up to 6500 and shifting into the next gear later than usual. (depending on when you normally shift)

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
honestly, it depends where your car started out

not every focus is different, depends on how it reacts to mods

id say 120-125, BUT just a guess

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
i don't have a tune and im at 117 whp. youll be in the 120-125 range, depending on altitude and temp/humidity (i dynoed when air temps were 99* and high humidity)

I agree with this estimate... stock zetec manuals can be anywhere from 108 to 112 whp stock... figure about 10-12whp added without tuning the cams..

·
Registered
774 Posts
From the way I calculate my mods and the HP I have, I would say about 130 whp.

I would say that I am sitting at 125ish whp so you should be a little over that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See from the dyno sheets I have seen on Steeda etc, I was thinking 125-130hp at the wheels.

As far as the cat is concerned, I will be trying to keep it as close to the motor as possible because from what I understand, the way it works is from the heat burning up excess waste, therefore being closer to the motor will help burn it off.

I was looking for some stg 2 cams awhile back, from what I hear if you plan to turbo or even super charge it, they run better on stock cams. So I saved up for a turbo, and bought a bike a month ago or so, figure it would be way quicker then my turbo focus lol.
I got a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6, so turbo is on hold for now. Maybe sometime this winter depending on funds of course.

I have the rear engine mount wishbone as well, will help launching... its also been lowered on steeda springs, eibach anti roll kit, Energy Suspension bushings all around, the only thing I havent done as far as suspension goes, is get some descent struts. Had s et of KYB AGX's lined up but that fell through, the search continues.

I read that the focus more so then other vehicles, brakes in better when done properly when new. This was owned by an old woman, then passed to her daughter. Super nice folks, doesnt look like they drink, didnt smoke... practically church going folks. I also have all the paper work since new of maintance. So I think the motor is in descent shape, it ran real smooth before tearing it down.

I have some pics posted up, nothing recent in the last couple months but if anyone is bored and wants to take a peek. A few pics in the album were posted to show people something etc, so some of them are pointless pics.

http://mulingko.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

·
Registered
975 Posts
my dyno

header,catback,cai,plugs/wires,coil,UDP,X3,stock 01 IM, stock TB
that was untuned and the cam gears at 0,0

·
Registered
975 Posts
my TQ was 133 at i think 4500

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my dyno
header,catback,cai,plugs/wires,coil,UDP,X3,stock 01 IM, stock TB
that was untuned and the cam gears at 0,0

Impressive! and untuned... What kind of headers do you have? I read in sport compact mag (I think it was) when they through bolt ons on a foci they said the tuning and adjusting the cam gears a bit was a big improvement. So with that done, and I have the best intake mani, ported, with the bigger TB. I should be over 130whp. How many miles on your car man? oh... and are you running a cat?

·
Registered
975 Posts
i just rolled over 122k with 180 compression across the board.
and im about to slap on the turbo.

at that time i was running the ebay header. now i have an svt header and orp. when i run the svt cat i can feel a little bit less power. i also now have a light flywheel and 2000 IM so im probably floating around 135 give or take.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts