Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i have a 03 svt and i am having a little trouble with getting power out of it. To start i put forged rods and 8.2 to 1 forged pistons which lowered the compression so i could run more boost. I also put arp main studs and head studs on it to help hold things together. I then put the gude kit on which was a rather extensive process in its self. I thought everything was good with the car until i took it to the tuners. I decided that i would run about 18 lbs of boost for the 42 lb injectors so that how the car was when i took it to the tuners. After the tuner got the air fuel ratio right he began to look to make power, however, he said that the turbo was taking to long to spool up and at 12 lbs lbs of boost the car was only putting about 210 hp to the wheels when he said it should be putting down around 300. I am a little confused as to what i should do because the compression on the motor is fine, it just wont make any power. After looking through these forums for the first time to try and find help i found out that the gude kit was a horrible choice anyways, im just not sure where i should begin to look for problems. Any ideas? thanks

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
well id say try and get in touch with tom, he should be able to answer your questions, what turbo is the kit running? 210 at 12psi sounds low i know that some people are puting down similar to that on regular zetecs with 9psi, it depends on the turbo though again more information is needed.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Rikuum said:
I know your problem! You have a GUDE turbo kit... ><
seriously i wish you did some research before you baught that kit.

what are you using to tune the car SCT pro racer??

i suggest you get rid of it and go to super snail fab for a manifold + downpipe then get a gt28rs and have tom mod it to use the t3 flange and go external wastegate. get some 2.5" aluminum bends and a precision fmic and build your own kit.(or get toms fmic kit)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I hate to say but i have never heard anything but bad reviews about the Gude setup.

·
FF Affiliate
30,980 Posts
gude sucks and there isnt any way around that , Now that you have it 12 psi is about all there turbo will produce safely

12psi and 210HP is about right in my book for the Focus 8.2 compression is a little low but if your shooting to 30+ later and dont have eagle rods you will be fine

First let me say if your tuner sais you should have 300 with 12psi he hasent done any Focus tuning and i would try to find a tuner that has

Did you take off the VCT and replace it with a ADJ gear, would need to see your dyno but sounds about right to me for 12psi

Tom

·
Registered
228 Posts
1turbofocus said:
gude sucks and there isnt any way around that , Now that you have it 12 psi is about all there turbo will produce safely

12psi and 210HP is about right in my book for the Focus 8.2 compression is a little low but if your shooting to 30+ later and dont have eagle rods you will be fine

First let me say if your tuner sais you should have 300 with 12psi he hasent done any Focus tuning and i would try to find a tuner that has

Did you take off the VCT and replace it with a ADJ gear, would need to see your dyno but sounds about right to me for 12psi

Tom
My lastest dyno has me at over 280WHP at 12PSI with 316 ft/lbs torque. Compression is 8.1. [?]

Installman

·
FF Affiliate
30,980 Posts
installman said:
My lastest dyno has me at over 280WHP at 12PSI with 316 ft/lbs torque. Compression is 8.1. [?]

Installman

Yes with a bigger turbo much more efficient, better flowing turbo manifold im guessing some cams maybe a ported head with larger valves all add up to more efficient combustion = more HP at lower boost , the gude kit will do good not to blow the engine but will never hit those numbers in my opinion

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts