Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a new ShelbyGT500 tonight at 86th and michigan rd. It was red with white stripes and the dealer new plate said 8-05-06. That car looked freakin badass, just thought that I would share.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a white GT500 convertible sitting in the showroom of one of the local Austin dealerships, there was a GT there for awhile too.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
They are just sex on wheels. yes sir.

But.. have you seen the Rousch Mustang?!?!!? OMG!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
was it form Pearson Ford?

I love those guys, we've gotten like 20 cars from em.

·
Registered
622 Posts
!!

I saw my first GT500 last saturday driving the opposite direction on the highway. We we're both in our respective fast lanes and I could hear the engine really nicely. Sounded sweet, but ...

CrazyMatt, sex on wheels? Hardly.

The new gt500 weighs 2 tons people, 4000 lbs. Hardly nimble, and every review I've read says they have a very harsh suspension, really firm with bad road noice. Also, the rear suspension is fixed, no independent setup like on, ohh, just about EVERY CAR MADE! The 1967 GT500 weighed only 3400 lbs. The new one costs over 40k. That's just rediculous. I am going to get a real American musclecar next year, the 2008 Camaro. A real engine, not some tiny 5.4 liter, but a true 7 liter, in a much lighter car, with independant rear suspension.

2008 Camaro, a real American sports car, truely sex on wheels. 2007 GT500, a heavy, awkward, poor handling and very expensive car.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
To each his own, Cliff. THat's all I am going to say.

Drive one, then get back to me. Reviews are one thing, experience is another.

·
Registered
622 Posts
True true, I guess I am just very excited for the new Camaro. I wept the day they disco'd it in 2002, and now I get to be a Chevy man again. But one last note, the GT500 will be Vette priced. They say 40k but good luck finding one for less than 50k, dealer markup. Wouldn't you MUCH rather have a Vette that will run circles around it all day every day, both handling and performance. And the Vette get's like 26 MPG.

Solid axle rearend suspension, my biggest drawback to the GT500.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Yeah... the rear suspension is kinda like.... garbage.. you're right there... I'm just glad to see an icon return.

But yes... I am WAITING for that new Camero to come out as well...

I just hope i can get it with T-Tops... heheheh....

·
Registered
622 Posts
My last car before my Focus was a 1987 IROC 305 TPI 5 speed, ttops, it was fully fully loaded. It was hurting after being drivin hard for 8 years by me, and I was sad to see it go. I love the focus, and I plan on keeping it as my winter ride, but I have always prefered Chevy (trying to keep it quiet so my Focus can't hear me). Chevy has CRAP< CRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPp when it comes to the 4 cylinder. I test drove the CObalt SS and I swear it was slower than my non-svt duratec 2.3. P.O.S. But the Camaro, ooooooooohhh, I been droolin for this day, and it is finally here. Long live the Camaro! (almost called the Banshee btw)

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
you blasphemers, chevy sucks.

well, corvettes and camaros are pretty damn cool. and so are cobalts, and so are Silverados, but, umm, the rest of chevy sucks

·
Registered
690 Posts
you know why the gt500 has the solid rear axle? its because every true mustang owner hated when ford put the independent rear end in the mustangs and that was usually the first thing that neone that was moding the mustang would get rid of. so shelby listened to the true performance minded mustang owners and put the solid rear axle in the gt500. and i think for a car that is suppose to be a car that was to compete against the corvette, i think shelby could have done a better job at putting the fat a** gt500 on a massive diet and shed a few 100 lbs. also i think that the gt500 is underpowered for a car that weighs as much as this car weighs.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^^^

And there ya go!

·
Registered
755 Posts
It is heavy, but it still runs a 12.3 at 116. The reason I love the car is the Modability. It has the FordGT Motor, which when equiped with a TB, Exhaust, and a Tune makes over 650 at the wheels. Thats a freakin monster that will own the Vette in a line.
What the weight hurts is Handling. The car could have been priced like the Vette and kept up or out ran it if they would have put them on a diet. Aluminum block instead of Iron and a much lighter T56. I know dealers are marking them up right now, but in 3months that will stop and a 40k price tag will be easy to find.
I really dont think comparing the GT500 and the Vette is right. The vette is a sports car, while the GT500 is a muscle car that handles good. They shouldnt be compared, FOrd really dosent make a car to compare to the Vette though, so everyone compares the Fastest Mustang.

I am also anxious to see the new Camaro. With the exception of the Stang, every new or reborn Muscle car has SUCKED. GTO and Charger. I think another good Muscle car will help out both Ford, and Chevy. If Dodge makes the Challenger right we could have a new Muscle car ERA. WOO HOO

Oh, and Check out the Steeda Q530, IT OWNS, to bad it has a 70k price tag.

·
Registered
690 Posts
im like you i cant wait to see if dodge does bring back the challenger. the car looks freakin bad ass, as long as dodge keeps close to what the prototype, the car is going to be sweet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just hope we get a Good muscle car power struggle again. Like in the late 60's, that would be sweet.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^^^

I second that.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
We got to play around on one of the convertable models yesterday at the Dream Cruise get together. Right in front of us, no other people around to make it annoying. Looks pretty, but you could tell it was the proving grounds car, the rotors and calipers had as much rust on them as my daily driver SVTF did :)

One thing that really shocked me, they put Brembo's in the front but the standard SVT style brakes in the rear. Just looks a little off having Brembo's on only one axle when paying 40,980 for a sport car.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I dont think its a Sports Car.

Has anyone herd the Rumor about the BOSS comin back. IN 08 Ford will release the BOSS 302, with a 5.0L cammer crate motor as a powerplant making 390 NA. It will weigh less then the Stock V6 model and have the suspension of the GT500. SO, it will have 100 less HP, but weigh 700lbs less. I cant wait

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
^^^^^

I did hear about that somwwhere.. SHould be pretty sick if it happens...

·
Registered
279 Posts
would not that make it superior in all ways to the gt500 with that much weight loss

1 - 20 of 26 Posts