Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my SVT this morn, put the key in and it wouldn't turn! Tried the usual turn the wheel, jiggle the wheel, wanted to rib the damn wheel off! So Ford roadside towed it back to ford, sure hope the warranty covers this....

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to ”Ford Focus Technical Chat”...
You can fix this yourself, but it's a PITA.
There's a "How To", and several threads on this issue in these forums.

Hopefully, the Dealer will be good to you.
If not, get a hold of b16sir1991.
He can get you a new keyed ignition cylinder for a pretty good price.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"sure hope the warranty covers this...."

If you're within the 3 year, 36,000 mile limit, it will certainly be covered.

If not and you have not purchased an extended warranty, it will not.

If you have purchased an extended warranty, it all depends on the particular warranty you purchased and what's in the fine print.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If not under warranty, your Ford dealer has the part # SW-6285. List is $90.76 Instructions are in the box how to key for your vehicle. Its a pita, just sit at a table, takes a little time.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Or order the cylinder from B16 here on the list! Comes already assembled and ready to go...

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you order it from b16sir1991, it won't be hard at all. I am not very good with tools and was able to do this myself with no problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well finally got word from Ford today, only took 3 days! they said they need to replace the whole steering colum??? what the hell man.....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
then maybe there was something else wrong than just the igintion cylinder..

thank god for waranties... am i rite?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it seems that the mechanic that was looking at my car doesn't know how to drill out the lock, so he recomended that they put in the new colum. Not to sure i want Ford working on my car now. i've called other Ford's and they say this is a common thing they do all the time, 15 minutes to drill the lock out, then put a new one in. Ford's killin me!!! and as far as warranties they said its not covered! someone please shoot me in the foot.....

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
then maybe there was something else wrong than just the igintion cylinder..

thank god for waranties... am i rite?
No, but you might be right [;)]

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm so scared this might happen to me and I've got 95,000 kms. I think I'll give B1 a pm real soon.

One day I went in to a Ford dealer and ask them what the hell that racket was from the engine (valve train) and he noticed the ignition cylinder and told me once we walked back into the dealer, tell the rep that I'm having trouble turning my key!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did but apparantly I had too many kms on the odo to have it changed. It would cost about $200+ cdn not to mention the towing if I wait till it locks up completely.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so Ford calls me today, my car is done........... the damage $588.40! HOLY CRAP! I WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK TO HOLMAN FORD AGAIN! I feel as though that they took me for one heck of a ride! This is how they treat someone who has bought four cars of they're lot? Well guess what i'll buy 'em from someone else!

·
Registered
514 Posts
WOW! They sure did take you for a ride. I can't remember what I paid for the cylinder lock from b16, but I know it was under $80!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts