Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in the drive through line at Taco Bell today and I looked down and happened to notice that my coolant temp was a sitting around at a little more than 3/4 up. I looked over to my oil temp and it was in the red.

The car was idling at about 900rpms. I had been sitting there for maybe 6-8 minutes. Temperature outside was a pleasant 60F. And I hadn't been driving hard before pulling in. In fact, I'm pretty sure the temps were normal when I pulled in.

So I kinda freaked out and cranked the heat on full with the blower on 4. After about 45 seconds the temps quickly got back into the normal range. I turned the heat off. A few minutes later as I was waiting to get back into traffic I saw that the temps had spiked again and were back into the red. I cranked the heat and temps were back to normal by the time I parked at work, about a block away. (And no, I didn't drive a block to go to Taco Bell. I drove around and did other stuff first [:D]). This is the first time I've seen it do this. It never does it on the highway.

My first idea is that after 30000 miles the coolant needs a flush and refill. I've got nothing to do after work so I'm going to try that.

So I've got a couple questions. What coolant is best for the SVTF? Which water wetter is good to use, and easy to find? And lastly, if it's not the coolant, what the hell is going on? Busted thermostat?

Thanks for reading!

Cliff notes:
1.) Car overheats at idle. Redline temps.
2.) Blast heat, temps go down.
3.) 5 minutes later, temps spike.
4.) Blast heat, temps go down again.
5.) Doesn't do this while highway driving.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thermostat, fan motor, fan relay, fuse.....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome to the club. It only happens to me in traffic jams in the summer, so I just don't get in them. From what I understand, it can be traced back to a resistor built into the fan switch, but I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Coolant can normaly hold fine for upwards of 75-100k miles, sometimes more.
Might have an air bubble somewhere...I dunno enough about the cooling systems on these cars though.

Should still be under warrenty? Take it in!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did a little more reading and learned about the relays failing.

Sooooo, I drove it home and watched the temp guages the whole time. They didn't as much as bump, hiccup, cough, sneeze, or fart. Pulled into the driveway at home and let it sit at idle for five minutes and a.) didn't hear the fans come on, b.) turned on the AC, fans did come on, and c.) the car started overheating.

Off to the dealer she goes... and I think once back from the dealer, I'm going to sell the goddam thing. Bought it in September and it's been in the shop every month since. I need something reliable and can't afford a second car to drive once I no longer qualify for the loaner.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I found I had a coolant leak...very small, but it was enough to run me 90% dry on coolant! Scared the S outta me!!

I'm doing a thermostat and might swap to SPAL fans...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
i had a combination of problems in my car...
it was the fan cables...and then it was the fan fuse... (a big fuse i the engine compartment)
once i change te fuse the car had not overheat...
check on that..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2015 focus se overheated when I got on it pretty hard on a hill 2 days ago, we let it cool down and she ran fine, yesterday I was driving to pick her up at work and it over heated sitting in traffic, once I started driving it was ok. but overheated in traffic again. it has never done this b4. its got 60,000 on it and there is coolant in reservoir.

·
FF Affiliate
30,237 Posts
See if your fans are coming on when it gets hot , if they do then change the thermostat and flush the cooling system when you change it

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the club. It only happens to me in traffic jams in the summer, so I just don't get in them. From what I understand, it can be traced back to a resistor built into the fan switch, but I'm not too worried about it.
I have been having this issue now for about 2 years and I had read people said they had a radiator leak. I checked my radiator cap and sure enough, the gasket was shot on my 2010 Focus and even folded over in one spot. I spent $11 for a new cap and I haven't had any issues again. Leak found and solved.

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
I've spent $1 on a piece of rubber that I then cut to make a new gasket to use on old cap to do the same, problem solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts