Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
01 ZX3, Man, w/AC.
When started cold the engine has a deep growl with an associated vibration. The wierd thing is when you turn to the left it goes away. Driving straight or to the right and it continues. This vib follows engine rpm.
Once warmed up, then shut off and restared after a short rest, the noise goes away!
This is a stock ZX3 with 81k miles.
AC on/off makes no difference. A mechanic thinks its the tranny, however, I'm skeptical because the vib follows engine rpm, not drive train rpm. I've owned this car since new and there's no accident damage.
The only major problem was a half a tank of water purchased from a local gas station about two yesrs ago! $500 repair and a big fight from the company to finally get reimbursed.

Any idea's? Anybody? [???:)]

·
Registered
220 Posts
FORD: 2000-2006 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 04-24-10 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2006 Focus vehicles may exhibit an excessive engine vibration at idle, most noticeable when the transmission is engaged in reverse. This condition may be caused be small stones, road debris, ice or snow packed/lodged in the rear engine roll restrictor.

ACTION:
Inspect the rear engine roll restrictor for debris and install service shield if necessary.

That might be your problem but to me i dont think so. Let me get your VIN in a PM and i will look further into it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this sounds exactly like the issue I have. Where is the "rear engine roll restrictor"?

Anybodyelse have an idea what would cause symptoms like this if it's not the "rear engine roll restrictor"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow

In the year 2000, my wife and i bought a 2000 Ford Focus LX 2.0 L Single overhead CAM.

It drove great, then in 2004 my wife and i got a divorce, and i have not seen the car for a while. then she gets another car and gives this Ford Focus to me, the reason she said she was sick of putting money into it, she had to purchase rear springs for it, and all kinds of things, so she gave it to me, the only thing wrong with it that i can see was 2 thingss.
#1 the Steering collum was broke, so i replaced it.
#2 a anoying vibration, when i start the car in the morning, it vibrates badly, that is because when you first start a car (COLD START) it will idle higher until it warms up.

it does still vibrate when it's warm, how ever not as bad, unless i give it a bit of gas when i'm in park, when i speed up, driving, it goes away, how ever when i take my foot off the gas to slow down it vibrates the worst at that point, when i'm in park and i step slightly on the gas it will vibrate, when i hold the brake and put it in drive and give it some gast the vibration is not bad at all, goes away, when i put it reverse and give it gas the vibration is is loud and shakes the dash.

Now this tells me that the rear motor mount is worn, the reason i think this is because when i put it in drive that motor mount is not dependent because the enigne rotates the other way so the vibration goes away, when i put it in reverse the motor will rotate a bit the other way, towards the radiator, and therefor that rear motor mount is not holding the engine as well and shakes the car.

also when driving when i speed up it goes away because the force of the engine leaning towards the firewall it's resting and pressing on the bad mount there for will not shake, but when you take your foot off the gas of course the engine will move back to it's resting position and then pull on the bad motor mount and sake the car.
so, i believe that the problem is in the motor mount. and seems to be common with ford Focus 2000-2006
Any of you experts let me know if i'm correct, i have also been thinking of a bad lower motor parts, like the camshaft is unbalanced or bent or something, but i don't think so because it would get worst by giving it more gast weather it's in forward or reverse correct?

TELL ME WOULD YOU SAY IT"S MY REAR MOTOR MOUNT?

Don

·
Registered
33 Posts
Front passenger motor mount for sure ! Replace it and you'll get your silent and quiet FOCI again. Hope this help a little bit ! Thanks ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts