Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This noise started a few weeks back suddenly and hasn't seemed particularly pressing but as I've kind of worked through everything else I've found wrong with the car I bought a few months back I'd figured it was as good a time as any to do the same with this one. When I'm running from stop signs to stop sign in parking lots at fairly low speed I notice a groaning sound off throttle when rolling up to stop signs and would immediately pulling away from them. I've only ever noticed the noise at low speed and it seems to come from the front right side of the car. You can kind of hear it about a second to 2 seconds after flipping the throttle at a dead stop when the car is warmed up. I'm not even sure groaning is the right noise to use it doesn't sound like a belt slipping or anything but it almost sounds like a wailing sound. My best guess is that it's something in the serpentine belt drive system. Maybe pulley bearings? It does seem worse when the AC is on but I'm assuming that's only because it puts more stress on the entire system. With the hood up and the car warm it seems to be really hard to hear outside. It seems more pronounced inside the vehicle.
Tomorrow I plan to try and narrow the possibilities down but in lieu of a video does anybody have any idea or have run into a similar issue?

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
563 Posts
If it does it when the a/c is off even if it's less pronounced then it's likely not the a/c unless it's the clutch bearing. But that's real easy to check by loosening the belt and spinning the clutch by hand. You should also check all your pulleys this way: idler, power steering, alternator, and water pump. Listen for noise and wiggle for play.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it does it when the a/c is off even if it's less pronounced then it's likely not the a/c unless it's the clutch bearing. But that's real easy to check by loosening the belt and spinning the clutch by hand. You should also check all your pulleys this way: idler, power steering, alternator, and water pump. Listen for noise and wiggle for play.
I've put a pry bar near each of the accessory pulleys I can reach and the only one that to me sounds weird is the alternator but I'm not sure if they're supposed to sound a little whiny using something as a stethoscope. What I'm hearing honestly sounds pretty much like power steering noises. I don't even hear any noise when I turn the wheel though only this whale moaning reverberation into the cabin which sounds like it's coming from the passenger side. What confuses me to no end is the total inability to hear the noise outside the car with the hood up.

I'll take a look at all the pulleys individually after work if I'm not too busy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are abysmal videos trying to capture the noise I'm hearing but you can kind of hear them when you've got headphones on and have them turned way up

I had a nice loud one that I wasnt expecting earlier and didn't record that one but hopefully someone can hear these somewhat. The conditions were the same with both AC on braking and coming up to a stop sign. I tried without AC on just to be sure it wasnt the brakes making the noise as it seems to be loudest coasting to a stop for whatever reason.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This happens only during engine deceleration or does it also happen when giving it gas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deceleration, if I rev the engine while sitting in neutral it'll start that moan and groan a second after and it'll go on for another second or two.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
If you can get the noise sitting still then remove serp belt and see if it goes away. Don't overheat engine doing it. Don't forget passenger side engine mount which can do that same noise and that if the dash is actually vibrating.

And look under car at heat shields. My wife is famous for running over whatever to deform one and suddenly you have noise where none before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can get the noise sitting still then remove serp belt and see if it goes away. Don't overheat engine doing it. Don't forget passenger side engine mount which can do that same noise and that if the dash is actually vibrating.

And look under car at heat shields. My wife is famous for running over whatever to deform one and suddenly you have noise where none before.
I'll check it. The motor mount was also at the top of my list to take a look at. I changed it for the one the previous owner had thrown in the backseat which was an Anchor mount. I probably installed it about a month ago and I've already seen the god awful reputation those mounts seem to carry. It sucks seeing as the general consensus is that Ford mounts or poly mounts are the best there depending on your application. I've checked around and the motorcraft mounts are pretty much impossible to find now with Ford ending production of them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Motor mounts look good. I gave all the pulleys a spin and replaced the belt tensioner, idler pulley, and attempted to install the belt which turns out doesn't fit my car. After doing some searching it's about 1/2" too short and when I got it all fitted onto the ribs of the pulleys and stretched onto the idler the bottom of one length of the belt was touching the bottom of the tensioner housing.

After all that and not unexpectedly the noise is still there. I still don't really know what it could be.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recorded a little better audio of the noise. You can hear me rev the engine and them the car starts making that noise which goes on for couple seconds then cuts out abruptly

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
No volume on your recordings, it's there but so low it cannot be made out even with volume at 100%.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No volume on your recordings, it's there but so low it cannot be made out even with volume at 100%.
Crap really? I know with headphones they are pretty decently audible I may have to boost the volume and see if I can make them easier to hear. On my phone using YouTube they're loud enough to hear the sound on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I boosted the audio enough that it should be audible this time. If it's not loud enough I'll try boosting it a little higher.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Earphone or headphone audio is whoppingly lower than external speakers, it won't drive them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Earphone or headphone audio is whoppingly lower than external speakers, it won't drive them.
Through my cell phone that recording is still spot on for what I'm hearing. It sounds like it reverberates. I'm honestly thinking some kind of alternator noise. What I'm hearing sounds very similar. Here's an example of how it sounds inside. It's near the end of the video.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've still been unsuccessful at tracking down where this is coming from exactly. I'm really leaning towards the alternator but I'm not 100%. If the car appears to be charging just fine which I've verified using a multimeter could the alternator still be making this kind of noise?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, absolutely.
The alternator bearing could be going bad and causing a whine. That would be completely separate from the internal diodes performing their job.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts