Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 3 weeks into my '14 Focus SE 5-speed with 201A package. I like the car overall - and I love the ride-handling balance. You can tell the suspension was tuned by Ford of Germany. It is a very solid feeling (and sounding) car as well. But I do have a few gripes.

1. The cupholers just suck (as noted in many other threads). Too small, too close together, too close to the armrest. I curse the rubber insert daily. I use a thin coozy on my cans of Mt Dew, and it's a wrestling match any time I want a sip.

2. The waterflow around the side windows stinks. If you try to crack your window while it's raining (even lightly), you and the drivers door get soaked. Maybe it's an aerodynamic/flush-mounted glass issue common to more and more new cars, but it sucks.

3. Even without the complicated MFT system, the sync/radio/controls menus are not very intuitive or well laid out.

4. The plastic around the radio scratches really easily - I don't have any jewelry on my right hand, and it already has small scratches.

5. A little choice on interior colors would have been nice. I like lighter interiors over black. The huge back dashboard and door panels show every speck of dust. And while the leather and stitching on the seats are nice, I really would have preferred grey or tan. Again, this seems to be the trend in newer cars these days. I was really interested in an Accord Sport with a 6-speed - until I found out you can have it in any color combo you want, as long as it's grey or black, with a black cloth interior. [:(]

6. No light at the ignition switch. With all the ambient lighting in the door pockets and door pulls and such, you'd think it wouldn't be too much trouble to light up the ignition switch a bit so you don't have to fumble around with the key in the dark. Jeez, my 18 year old Honda has a little ring of light around it when you open the door!

7. A few cubbies/bins would be nice as well. There is no reason the radio needs to take up 3 DIN spaces, other than futuristic styling. Another could be in the dash panel under the light switch.

And finally, I love the gas mileage of the 2.0L, but I'd gladly give up a couple MPG for the added power and torque of a 2.2-2.4L engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have no major gripes. One minor as you said is the cup holders...I swear daily at the stupid little flappy thing. Love the car!

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Wish the fuel tank held more
On my last road trip with my ST I got 400 miles out of one tank. That's not terrible.

My gripe is my turbo is to small. Runs out of steam to early.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Number six is a gripe for me. Very aggravating at night. I wish I could have gotten the keyless option.

·
Registered
167 Posts
1: The rattly headliner

2: The excessively tall rear headrests (that may be a fed-spec complaint)

3: How easily my paint chips/scratches

4: The anemic A/C

5: The fact that the heat can't be fully shut off unless you have "Max A/C" turned on.

6: Odd-sized cupholders and the fore/aft arrangement of them.

7: The position of the seat warmer dials (under the lip of the armrest). There is a perfectly good dead switch location on the right of the console on 80% of our cars. Why can't the switches be there?

8: The wiper switch is backwards (up = on) from every car I've ever owned with stalk-mounted wiper controls.

9: The lack of proper map lights.

·
Registered
985 Posts
All is good at this point. Just need another 50hp to keep it fun as I already got used to the mods I have :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find the AC to be more than adequate in 100+ temps, but my window tint has to help that. What drives me crazy is the air come out the floor vents when I am on Max AC. I suspect this may be the air vent flaps not aligned correctly. This may also be causing the whistle I get from the upper vents. I'll see if the dealer can fix it.

The cup holders are ok for me, but I have low standards having owned a Mustang.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So, is the A/C really that bad, really thinking about getting a focus, and the wife has to have good A/C
It does get cold. It can get very cold. You have to use the recirc to get it that cold, however.
My wife's 9-year-old Element has a better AC. It's probably due to engine/engine bay size.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the A/C feed back, my stang is the same way, no issue with the floor vents, and we will get it tinted for sure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cup holders are inadequate.

There is no place to put my phone.

Storage slot on the left side of the console should be deeper.

Wipers should work off the left hand lever, like in my Fusion.

Switch for the rear wiper should be relocated or. It's too easy to turn it on by just bumping the end of the lever.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts