Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here, I have a 01 Ford focus. Haven't been real fond of Ford but with the new design and changes it has been a great experience for me. I do have a question though. Is it possible for the shift solenoid to cause the vehicle not to go in any gear? When I put the car in gear nothing happens, but as I'm putting it back in park there's a grinding like it was a manual trans. trying to catch the gear. So is it at all possible this could be the problem or is it just what I think it to be the trans. Is gone? Anyone ever had this issue? All comments can be helpful.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The shifter solenoid physically blocks you from moving the shifter handle.

If you can move the shift lever and the car acts differently, chances are the problem is in your transmission.

So if I understand the totality of the car's symptoms:

1.) Put car into D and it goes nowhere, acts as if in neutral.(what happens when you give it a little gas?)

2,) Put shifter back into P and it makes a grinding gear sound.

The only way I can think of for an automatic to grind gears going into park, is the parking pawl is trying to engage a moving target. I have never rebuilt a 4f27e trans, but usually the parking pawl engages the output shaft directly. I suppose a broken input shaft, or torque converter issues could also make grinding noises while going into P as well.

The only time I have seen symptoms similar to those you described (plus grinding sound if you give it gas on D), one axle had lost its splines where it engages the diff. It was the same as having one drive wheel off the ground, the output shaft would spin, but the diff just sent all that energy to the broken axle and the other wheel got nothing.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
^^^ yep, clear details help.

Might even start by seeing if the shift cable is doing anything, might be WAY off (damaged/broken) and barely trying to shift it (line up marks at trans., try moving the lever to see it it does much).

Check fluid level/condition yet?

Could be just broken, you didn't mention if you'd driven it for a while and it just quit or exactly what happened.

·
Registered
16,028 Posts
Broken axle or axle out of trans or broken trans. Read elsolo's 'The only time..............' last paragragh. The final drive gears are still rolling because something that should stop them is broke. The park lugs are on the middle one in the geartrain there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts