Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ive been having this issue for about 6 months now, when i take off hard from a stop the passenger side front cv axle sounds like it is grinding really bad. today i changed the half shaft and cv axle why its a 2 piece shaft i dont know also changed the tranny fluid since its never been done and there is 84k hard miles on the car seemed to softened the shifting up but the grinding is still there not as nearly as bad but still there when i take off hard. the only other thing i could think of is wheel bearing? any ideas on what else it could be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my passenger side. I've been to shop a bunch of times for it, so any help would be appreciated.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
today i changed the half shaft and cv axle why its a 2 piece shaft i dont know ... the only other thing i could think of is wheel bearing? any ideas on what else it could be?
It's a two piece shaft because unequal length drive shafts would produce excessive torque steer.
The inner bearing that supports the "stub axle" can fail and cause the sound you describe. Did you change the bearing with the axle? Most axle replacements include the inner bearing already mounted.

If you did, rumbling from that area could point to a failing wheel bearing in the hub as you've suggested.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i didnt, i think the bearing and hub are a sealed unit i didnt see any bearings when i replaced everything today but ill pull it apart 2mrw and see what i find ill probably go to my local parts store and buy bearing its not to much, thank you for the input the wheel bearing was the only other thing i could think of. it also has a slight vibration while costing anything above 45 but when i ease into the throttle it goes away so ill letcha know if that fixs it again thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
it also has a slight vibration while costing anything above 45 but when i ease into the throttle it goes away so ill letcha know if that fixs it again thank you
This is really helpful because its the exact same thing I'm experiencing. Please let me know what you find. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Jack the vehicle up so you can rotate the wheel. The supplied emergency jack is good enough. Spin the wheel with the trans in N and see if you can hear anything new. Pay attention to where the sound comes from.

I thought I needed to replace my wheel bearings, but when I inspected the situation like above- I found out it was the CV axle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow this was awhile ago, but the problem ended up being a destroyed passenger side motor mount I guess the engine was rocking back to a point where things were binding..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts