Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I caught some air over some railroad tracks my car landed on the front right tire.

Since then I've noticed a grinding or scraping sound coming from the front right especially when the steering input is at full lock to the right. It also happens to a lesser degree when in a turn at speed.

I took a brief look at the front sway bar links and they seem okay.

Any idea what this might be?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is your rotor dust shield bent up against the rotor by any chance?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope seems okay.
I was reading another thread where just looking at the sway links isn't enough.

Instead the suggestion is to remove the link and see if the noise goes away...any thoughts on this as a form of diagnosis?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is the grinding sound when you are accelerating or does it make this sound when you turn your steering wheel? If it's when you turn your steering wheel I'd probably be more inclined to say it's the strut mount bearings. It is always better to remove the sway bar end links and move them by hand to see if there's any play though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound only occurs after the steering input has been given...as though it is the load that is causing it rather than the action of the turn itself.

Accelerating into the turn definitely is causing the sounds and if I had to rediagnose the sound it seems to be coming from the right, yes, however maybe closer to the foot well rather than the strut area...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Loose sway links rattle/knock - not a grinding noise unless broken & hitting something.

To check the obvious first, look at the fender liners. They might be loose & moving at speed to contact even if they look OK at a rest.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Summary

Loose sway links rattle/knock - not a grinding noise unless broken & hitting something.

To check the obvious first, look at the fender liners. They might be loose & moving at speed to contact even if they look OK at a rest.
Is the grinding sound when you are accelerating or does it make this sound when you turn your steering wheel? If it's when you turn your steering wheel I'd probably be more inclined to say it's the strut mount bearings. It is always better to remove the sway bar end links and move them by hand to see if there's any play though.

So I took the car into a mechanic and after I described the problem he thought it was a LCA issue. Put the car on a lift and took a look under the car.

He said the car is fine :) in fact in excellent condition, the sway bar links are slightly worn - probably due to the car being lowered according to him - and when we took the car out for a test drive, I couldn't reproduce the sound at all. During the test drive, he said that he gets lots of Foci through the door of this vintage and this was the cleanest and nicest driving car of the bunch - that's a great compliment, I think.

He thinks the sound occurred because of the spring having been torqued due to the jump and landing. Having lifted the car and unloading the spring probably helped in this regard.

I'll be watching out for this sound and hopefully it doesn't come back.

Anyway, even though I couldn't find the issue, I'm glad to know that the car is in no way in an undriveable condition.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so the sound is back.

Now it sounds like it's rattling. Only happens when turning right. Or for a short while after when pointed straight.

It rattles on and off... Not all the time in an undulating manner per se.

Please help me diagnose the problem. In the meanwhile, I'll try and get some video going to get a visual aid.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
OK, so the sound is back.

Now it sounds like it's rattling. Only happens when turning right. Or for a short while after when pointed straight.

It rattles on and off... Not all the time in an undulating manner per se.

Please help me diagnose the problem. In the meanwhile, I'll try and get some video going to get a visual aid.
Your rattling noise has nothing to do w/ the engine?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't seem like it...though it is much more noticeable when on a cold start.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Any vibrations?

Engine mount can react to a turn to produce noise/vibration before it does when running straight (don't hear about it OFTEN, but not unheard of).

And there WAS that jump....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Any vibrations?

Engine mount can react to a turn to produce noise/vibration before it does when running straight (don't hear about it OFTEN, but not unheard of).

And there WAS that jump....
Your rattling noise has nothing to do w/ the engine?
Cold start, right turn on to hill side: http://youtu.be/M9SNeGUrH9w

Car Sound diagnosis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJg0HfgOe5I&list=UU_PjnZ8fEUzjgXgJUPnu7pA

I uploaded two videos to YouTube hoping that you guys can get a clearer picture. Passenger motor mount maybe?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happens only when engine is cold...I found a thread on focaljet that talks about this exact issue and the guy changed his PSM and all was good.

Should I change my DSM too? I already have a CFM poly dogbone.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Couldn't hear much in the one video that worked for me the other day.

More vibes/noise cold matches a PSM mount going bad.

Wouldn't hurt to do the DSM as well, works best as a set. Just the PSM should do unless the DSM looks bad.

One poster had a good pic. of our PSM, showing it sacked just enough that a bump on one side of the mount touched the center portion that attaches to the engine on the bottom when loaded - plenty to give nasty noises as it vibrates metal to metal.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couldn't hear much in the one video that worked for me the other day.

More vibes/noise cold matches a PSM mount going bad.

Wouldn't hurt to do the DSM as well, works best as a set. Just the PSM should do unless the DSM looks bad.

One poster had a good pic. of our PSM, showing it sacked just enough that a bump on one side of the mount touched the center portion that attaches to the engine on the bottom when loaded - plenty to give nasty noises as it vibrates metal to metal.
Hey Sailor,

The second video link is fixed...you can hear it better in that video.

I'm pretty sure it is the PSM that's failed at this point.

Any idea where to get it inexpensively? By it I mean the motorcraft one.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm mainly hearing a "click, click, click" in the video, don't know where that's from.

My PSM is starting to go, healthy extra vibes when cold, no noises yet.

Village Ford on this site discounts OEM parts. I used Tasca in the Minneanapolis area before Village came on board, names up there change & there are a couple that discount as our old main contact (Steve) changed Dealers.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm mainly hearing a "click, click, click" in the video, don't know where that's from.

My PSM is starting to go, healthy extra vibes when cold, no noises yet.

Village Ford on this site discounts OEM parts. I used Tasca in the Minneanapolis area before Village came on board, names up there change & there are a couple that discount as our old main contact (Steve) changed Dealers.
The click sounds are from the keys..the creaking is what I think the PSM is making.

What kind of feedback does the DSM give when not working effectively?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Worst I've seen is the trans fall on a new '12+, no idea what really happened there as the OP just had it at a Dealer.

Metal to metal vibes/noise if it comes apart enough for the parts to touch, that's about it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good pics!

See how it wore through at the sides to touch metal to metal once it was sacked out?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts