Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an intermittent grinding noise in my '14 se MK3 for about 20k miles (currently at 107k miles). It sounds like it is coming from the transmission or the engine bay, somewhere in between there. This only occurs while i'm driving (not at idle), and typically only occurs while the vehicle is cold. After 3-4 hours of driving the noise goes away. Typically I shift twice (DCT) from a stop then in between 25 - 40 MPH I hear a intermittent, sometimes continuous, faint grinding noise. Once I get on the highway it subsides, or if I am going 20 or under the noise isn't there. Once I start braking more heavily the noise subsides unless I let off or until I come to a complete stop, start again and it comes back around 25 - 40 miles. Does anyone else have this issue? Could someone shed some light on if this is transmission gear grinding, clutch slippage, etc. ? I'm out of the 100k clutch warranty and don't have the $ to replace them so my only option, unless it is a small inexpensive issue, is to wait it out and replace the clutch in 50 -75k miles. I guess i am just trying to understand the issue and quite honestly, I don't really trust my (shady) ford dealerships to accurately diagnose the issue and/or be upfront about it without any attempt to upsell me or replace items not needed. (They always try to get me to do alignments even though my alignment is good, injector cleaning services, etc, always trying to upsell ffs). Anyways some help from anyone with knowledge on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Sounds like TSB 14-0066. Technically, this TSB only applies to the Fiesta even though the vehicles use the same transmission. I tried to get it repaired on my car years ago but the dealer gave me the runaround and I eventually just gave up. She's still chugging along at 187k miles. I feel like this issue is at least partly to blame for the recurring clutch repairs. I don't feel like paying for a new output shaft on a car that's worth like $3k so it is what it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts