Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I hope this thread is in the right place. I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE with about 56k miles. For awhile now, I notice that there's a strange clunking/grinding sound from the front end that happens off and on when I'm coming to a stop. My initial thought was the breaks, so I checked them myself (then eventually had Ford check it during the regular maintenance) and they seem fine. I've been looking around the forums quite a bit and grinding noise seems to be a known issue when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, but this seems to come and go. I'm not able to reproduce the issue at will, so I'm a bit lost. Any ideas? Could this also be a transmission issue?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
It'd probably be best if you could get a recording of this noise, but you did state that it's not easy to reproduce. Can you elaborate on this noise? I'd consider grinding and clunking two very different and distinct noises. Is it grinding AND clunking? Is it a very short-lived grind? [scratch]

I'd recommend greasing the bump stop first as described in TSB 13-12-09.

There was also a TSB for replacing strut bearings?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first start braking, it sounds like grinding, but if i brake harder it seems like it grinds a long with some clunking as well. It is relatively short. Maybe the last couple of seconds of me coming to a stop. I'll give it my best shot at reproducing it this evening and see if I can get it on tape.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into your suggestions.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
When I first start braking, it sounds like grinding, but if i brake harder it seems like it grinds a long with some clunking as well. It is relatively short. Maybe the last couple of seconds of me coming to a stop. I'll give it my best shot at reproducing it this evening and see if I can get it on tape.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into your suggestions.
Have you been to the dealer to have this diagnosed? Please let me know when you do, and I can check into some options. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it into a Ford Quick Lane during my regularly scheduled maintenance a few months ago and mentioned it to them. The gentlemen who was assisting me went on a ride a long with me to see if we could replicate it. Since we couldn't, I was told there was nothing they could do about it at the time.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I took it into a Ford Quick Lane during my regularly scheduled maintenance a few months ago and mentioned it to them. The gentlemen who was assisting me went on a ride a long with me to see if we could replicate it. Since we couldn't, I was told there was nothing they could do about it at the time.
Thanks for letting me know. :)

Have you looked into getting a second opinion at another dealership? You can find the dealers in your ZIP here: Dealer Locate.

Meagan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it in to a different dealership. They test drove it and couldn't reproduce it, so I was told there was nothing they could do. I'll have to try and get some audio and write down exact scenarios when it happens. Until then, I guess I'll have to live with it and try some minor things myself.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I took it in to a different dealership. They test drove it and couldn't reproduce it, so I was told there was nothing they could do. I'll have to try and get some audio and write down exact scenarios when it happens. Until then, I guess I'll have to live with it and try some minor things myself.
Thanks for following up. :)

Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and preferred dealer name/location. I'll dig into some more options.

Meagan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts