Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been having this problem with my foci. I clutch in all the way and make sure not to clutch out early. but whenever i take it to the mex in a race going from 2nd to 3rd always grinds no matter what i do. Does anybody else have this problem? Its embarresing to be taking a car and hearing that nasty noise. So if anybody can help id appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Could be a bad synchro or a transmission fluid change might help. I'd do what ^^ said and take it to a dealer.

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
Dealers won't do shit to help you!!!

You can't tell them that you're racing and they can't duplicate the problem under "normal" conditions. Is there a way to adjust the syncros?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
no. it happens to me under normal driving, but they will tell you that you aren't pushing the pedal in far enough.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
I wouldnt' say it's normal on all MTX 75. I own 2 Foci, both with that transmission, and I have never had a problem grinding going into 3rd.

However, a lot of people have had the same problem.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i have that problem when i race but not all the time its actually a problem in all for cars that have a stick going into 3rd stangs get it to and if your not careful and the stick kicks back it can break your arm happened to a friend while racing a formula 6 firebird

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
i have an 05 duratech,,,3rd tranny sense i bought this car,,well first two times they rebuilt it and last time they replaced it..1st time tranny went out it just quietly went out and would not go into gear,,,pulled over and nothing....grinded like hell trying to get it into gear,,,called the tow truck,,they rebuilt the tranny at the ford place,,i got it back and two days later i brought it back due to reverse grinding and would not work..so then they rebuilt it again...then while driving the gear got stuck and would not release...so i had to hit the brakes and pulled it over and called the tow truck...1st time the clutch exploded and tore up the syncro and tranny 1st 2nd and 3rd gears...2nd time it was some kinda cone thing in the tranny...and gears...then they just replaced it with a new tranny and no problems sense....i stoped poping the clutch now.,..lol...lady at the ford dealer asked me if i race it or if im hard on it...of course i told her no...haha

·
Registered
545 Posts
My 3rd gear doesn't grind per se, but it is sort of crunchy sometimes. If you are told you aren't pushing the clutch pedal down enough you should tell them to sit and spin [nutkick] . My clutch fully disengages after the first few inches. After that it is just leg exercise (I push it to the floor anyway).

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
It might be as simple as a cable adjustment. If its doing it under normal conditions, you might be able to get them to determine it and warranty it. But if they drop it and look at the flywheel, they may be able to determine the abuse from racing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i asked the techs at my work and they asked if i raced too. I bought my car used with 14k miles on it. i did get the extended warranty. They would be more than happy to look at it but they are the type to tell the service manager that it was me doin the wear and tear on it. so just have to play it off. everything you have said is exactly what is goin on with my car. I just didnt want it in the shop so soon. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts