Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started on a new grille yesterday, kind of sick of the monotony amongst the first gen Focus front-end. This is just a pic of the front piece mocked up on my car. I have to cut the mounting tabs and curvature plates yet, but you can get an idea of what I am going for here. Once that work is complete I'll powder coat it and apply a water-transfer pattern to set it off. Let me know what you think.

Let me know what you think.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Innovative but I'd lose the focus on the front and do some kinda pattern. People already know what you drive, don't need to spell it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fux yeah! I like a place where not everyone is all, "ohMgeee I love it" "Sickkkk!!!1!"

@Dirt:

Pattern... Got any ideas? A swaztika, shocker logo.... lol Seriously though, what are you thinking? I couldn't come up with anything clever so I just cut Focus.

I'm not a big fake-cf fan but here is the wtg pattern I'll probably lay down:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry but to me the euro grill would be better but each to thier own
I, too, like the euro styled grille. However, I have always been the type that thinks a real, true modification will not be seen on any other vehicles. Something truly custom, to me, is better looking than something store bought... If only I were as creative and resoursful as the guy who came up with that damn euro grille, then maybe everyone would see what I am saying! lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
what about cutting more holes on each side of the focus logo and making them pulse with blue (or whatever color you like) leds? Also you could light up the focus lettering with leds. Or instead of holes use horizontal slats. Just some thoughts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I, too, like the euro styled grille. However, I have always been the type that thinks a real, true modification will not be seen on any other vehicles. Something truly custom, to me, is better looking than something store bought... If only I were as creative and resoursful as the guy who came up with that damn euro grille, then maybe everyone would see what I am saying! lol
I'm not trying to bash your idea or execution as you are doing great and more power to you but I'm just partial to modifications that the average person wouldn't notice but anyone who owns a focus would and be amazed at the fact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about cutting more holes on each side of the focus logo and making them pulse with blue (or whatever color you like) leds? Also you could light up the focus lettering with leds. Or instead of holes use horizontal slats. Just some thoughts
lol My plan = The holes will utilize some old light-gels and my turn signals will be placed back behind them. The word "Focus" is going to have a spaced back-plate for the purpose of blue lighting... Great minds think alike, eh?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not trying to bash your idea or execution as you are doing great and more power to you but I'm just partial to modifications that the average person wouldn't notice but anyone who owns a focus would and be amazed at the fact.
hmmm... Getting a point across on the internets can be a task at time. lol

I think I read your post as it was intended to be read. You're not a fan. That's no big deal, I love honesty. I did not read it as bashing at all. I was just explaining why I was doing what I am.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I think the problem aesthetically is that it's a 2D. If you could use the water jet to make something 3D I think you'd get more 'likes' ... even if it's something as simple as a 3 bar AL grill.
Just browsing eBay, looks like bar stock isn't too expensive to toy with; though considerably more than sheet steel.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
No idea on pattern lol. I just got a euro grill in and love it but like you would like to do something unique. I like the 3d and lighted ideas. Eventually I figure something out to do for myself. Until then it's euro for now.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I'll with hold my opinion until you're finished. I wouldn't put it on my car but I like where you are going with it so far. Good work.

By the way, I like the light ideas.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
i love the "one off" kinda thing... i like where you are heading with this. could turn out great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll work on it a bit tonight, tweak a few details and get some progress pics up tomorrow.

@iminhell:

About your sig;

Bring jobs home, look for "Made in
America" on all your purchases

Change "America" to "USA." Mexico is in America, too. USA jobs are what matter. It's sad, but there are companies that use the vauge "Made in America" lable to further take advantage of people with good intentions... Take our "American" Ford cars... Foci (my 03, anyway) are made in Mexico.

Also, I've got some ideas that will add more depth/another dimension to the look of what I've got. We'll see where I get tonight and you'll have to get with me and lmk what you think, then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a little bit done tonight. Contour plates, mounting tabs anf Focus back-plate all cut and welded in place. It is looking better now that it is not sitting flat, but actuall contours with the curve of the hood.

May be a day or two before I get to work on it again. All this 3D talk is really about to push me to buy that set of dimple-dies I have been wanting so badly.... hmmmm.... lol

A pic from tonight:

And another:

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I could see that potentially looking good with the amber turn signal lighting up
behind those holes. It could meet up with the headlight better though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts