Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Titanium has grill shutters. At what instance do they close? The reason I asked is that my car is parked, but they are open. I did see it closed one time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
They'll stay open until you get up to speed. The engine needs air flowing over it to keep it from overheating. Thus they will only close when the car is cruising and doesn't need it as much.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Titanium has grill shutters. At what instance do they close? The reason I asked is that my car is parked, but they are open. I did see it closed one time.
The active shutters close at highway cruising speeds, to cut down on the drag and thus, increase mileage/fuel efficiency. The shutters will be in the open position when the car is parked and at below highway speed.

·
Registered
936 Posts
In Canada I know for sure that all Focus models/trim levels have the active shutters. Not sure about the U.S.
This is because the grille shutters have a more important role in cold weather (hence it is packaged with the heated seat Winter package in the U.S.)...

They can be shut in order to allow the car to warm up faster in very cold weather, and closed at much lower speeds to prevent the car from having to burn more gas just keeping itself warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts