Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what do you guys think of this:

Instead of buying a billet grill for my 05, what about cutting out the black honeycomb, and putting a mesh grill in there, and then cutting out the plastic on the bimper and putting the same on the bottom?? Anyone seen this or heard of it being done??

·
Registered
759 Posts
why cut the honeycomb out? Just place the mesh over, that way you don't run the chance of ruining your grill. Same goes for your bumper, don't go around cutting stuff out, just try laying it over.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yeah dont cut anything dude, i tried it on mycobalt thinking it would work and in the end it didnt

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I would agree with everyone thus far...

Unless you are very confident in you dremmel skills, I would not do such a thing. I have not looked much at the 2005 grilles, but if they mount in any way similar to the previous model you could always get enough mesh and form the whole grille.

IMHO, covering a stocker with mesh looks like crap. Which is why I can understand you wanting to remove the honeycomb and keep the framing for the mesh.

Good luck in your decision... either way (hope you have a steady hand)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
how do you mount that stuff over or mount it to the bumper period?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I see zip ties on the majority of them... some of the companys that make the billet grills, they use some sort of bolt on, they claim it isn't zip tied on but I have no idea how it works though.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
As Danny said, most of the grille inserts are held in place by zipties. Others use (for a lack of a better name) slip tabs that clip at the end. Similar to the air fresheners that attach to the airvent.

When I did mine... 2002.
I just wrapped my stockers, after a while I got tired of how it looked. So I just molded the mesh to the same shape as the stock (top grille). And mounted the badge to the mesh.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
wow there has to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
^^ got a closeup?

Everything looks nice from far away...

Mind you... my hood is not closed

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
cruzstyle said:
i have done it to myu car and theres other car that have it dones theres already threads about it. one was posted a week ago.

P.S.

Not bashing you in my previous post. Just how mine was with the mesh wrapped around the upper grille. Just looked a lot better upclose without the stocker there.

Yours does look good, I am just curious how it looks up close.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow...well thanks for the advice..i was kinda hesitent(sp?) to cut anything anyway..but hey cpyder..how did you get your mesh like that? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Thats the good ol' gutter guard feom the Home Depot.

It can be cheap, but as long as you take your time and prep everything it will look good.

I first shaped the mesh the to dimension of each grille. Cleaned the mesh, then glossed them (a few coats of high glooss clearcoat). Wrapped them around the stockers and viala.

Later on I redid it with only the upper mesh and no stock grille. (no pic though)

Then I just got tired of it and got the Euro grilles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts