Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a 2012 Focus SE Hatch w/SE Sport Package two day ago. I was wondering if this vehicle will have the auto opening/closing grill louvers that are supposed to increase fuel economy at highway speeds. I looked on the Ford site and couldn't find anywhere to ask this question and the dealer didn't know the answer either. Thanks for any help given.

Shabo

·
Registered
459 Posts
ALL Ford Focuses in NA have this. That is the final answer. ;)

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
ALL Ford Focuses in NA have this. That is the final answer. ;)
That is soooo far from true. You need to get the SFE package which isn't available with the sport package. Isn't this something you should look in to before dropping $20k+?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is soooo far from true. You need to get the SFE package which isn't available with the sport package. Isn't this something you should look in to before dropping $20k+?
I have an SE Sedan on the way w/ 203A and sport package and ETIS shows the Kysor shutters on mine.

·
Registered
613 Posts
WRONG! You also get the shutters if you are in a California Emissions state. I'm in PA, we're in on the CA Emissions crap, I drive an SE w/ the sport package AND I've got the shutters.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The "S" and non SFE SE models at my dealership have the grill shutters. I have looked inside, they are there.

You do NOT need the SFE.

Also note us Canadians will have the Manual Tranny available on our Titaniums soon.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Seeing as it's standard on the S and the other trims just build from there... I think it's safe to say that all cars have them in the US atleast... I am gonna go dig up my window sticker to be sure though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Look it up on ETIS. Ford's build sheet will tell you but you need a vin number. Btw, mine is an SE with 203a and I have the kysor shutters you're asking about... I understand that Ford wants to make them standard but haven't yet. So they are kind of an elusive option.

They are not on my window sticker! But they showed up on ETIS. You can always look for them. But, they might be hard to spot if open. Std options vary from state to state so you need to just check ETIS and be sure. I think they are worth the trouble so keep at it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
No shutters for me :( maybe that's why my highway fuel economy has been less than desired.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know where on the Ford.com site you can ask questions like this? I looked last night and couldn't find anywhere. I can't believe they don't have that fuction of the site somewhere.

By the way what is ETIS?

Shabo

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I don't know if there's a specific place on the Ford site you can go, but as they said, Ford ETIS (google it) will give you a comprehensive list of EVERYTHING on your car.

If the option is "With XXXX" it's included and if it's "Less XXXX" than it's not included.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
They are not on my window sticker! But they showed up on ETIS. You can always look for them. But, they might be hard to spot if open. Std options vary from state to state so you need to just check ETIS and be sure. I think they are worth the trouble so keep at it.
I just checked ETIS and it shows up there, but same as you not on my window sticker. Yes options vary between CA emission states, cold weather states, and normal temperature zones (such as mine).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Maybe its just Canada that gets the Shutters standard across all the trims. The manual info I posted was from the Canadian brochure.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Reading around the intrawebs they've made it very difficult to confirm one way or the other. I still don't believe I have it until I actually go inspect under the hood a bit.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
[facepalm]

In Canada, ALL Focus models include the Active Grille Shutter System as standard equipment.

AGS is not a feature or free-standing option. Later this year, Active Grille Shutter will be standard across the board on Focus, however it must ramp-up to that level first. Currently, AGS is included in conjunction with the models, series, and/or features below:

* All SE 4 door models
* All Titanium 4 & 5 door models
* All models with "Green State" Emissions
* All models with the optional Winter Package (available SE, SEL, Titanium)
* All models equipped with the optional Engine Block Heater
As I recall, it [engine block heater] comes standard on cars sold in AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI and WY.

Or, put your VIN in here:
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=66BE4A1AF35B098D6ECAE1ED19AF01E9.eccvas502
If you have it it'll say "With Kysor Radiator Shutter"

I believe we may have reached the "across the board" mark, though. As I know someone with a non-winter package SEL hatch from MI that had shutters.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
[facepalm]Or, put your VIN in here:
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=66BE4A1AF35B098D6ECAE1ED19AF01E9.eccvas502
If you have it it'll say "With Kysor Radiator Shutter"

I believe we may have reached the "across the board" mark, though. As I know someone with a non-winter package SEL hatch from MI that had shutters.
You can't always believe this though. For instance we get an insurance discount on my wife's 04 Neon for ABS. The car does not have ABS. Never did. We told the insurance company it doesn't have ABS. They said, "Oh well. You still get the discount because that's how the VIN comes up."

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Well tickle me pink. After further investigation I certainly have the shutters. After 4 months of ownership I'm just this out. This is probably why people are finding their cars warm up much quicker than they're used to.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Ford has said they plan on offering the Kysor shutters on all the Focus, and were ramping up to do so.
The reasons for not having them in particular earlier cars seems mysterious.
I have them on my SE and do not really know why. Though my car was built in end of July.

Many posts on the Kysor shutters here, as the mystery of why or why not added baffles most of us.
They definitely were on the Ti, and with Winter package.
Other than that???
And yeah i would think Ford have finally started adding them to all the Focus, as they make such a big difference in mpgs..
So for early adaptors who do not have them.. sorry you missed out.

There was a uTube video of a guy who made his own shutter out of a Euro license plate and the vid shows it in action. It worked. LOL

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have them too, built in beginning of october, and it wasn't on etis when it first populated. i just went and actually looked and they are there.

se hatch 5speed with sport package and 203a thats it

1 - 20 of 37 Posts