Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Coming over here from the explorer forum for some friends and advice please! I hope it is ok to just link my registry from there. I try to be helpful once I have an understanding of what is going on. Hopefully someone here knows me. lol

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329322

Got a kid off in school,about 5 hours from home, and heck, I thought it was time to swap his 1998 Mountaineer for something a bit newer and more economical. Found this 2006 Focus in Light Tundra Metallic color with a few things that could use improvement. So far I like the car pretty well, however I drove our 06 Avalon to go get it, and drove the focus home while my wife followed. My judgement might be a bit swayed. I am kinda old, my back always hurts and I have a few broken ribs that are still healing.

During the 90 mile trip I found it had plenty of passing power for it's size, and the fuel consumption was terrific compared to my 2000 Mountaineer. So far I like it save for what I feel might be a tad of vibration, reminds me of driving our old 83 944 we used to have. What I mean to say is you are very aware that this is a 4 cylinder even when it is idling. Is this normal? I used to own a nissan 200sx which idled so smoothly I once started it when it was already running. You would never make that mistake in this car's current state.

Also, the rear driver door refuses to lock. I can't even push the lock lever in by hand.

I did order a full set of engine-trans mounts in hopes of ridding it of the vibration. Hopefully this repair is pretty straight forward, [8][8]

Thanks for letting me join, vent and ask for advice. Sorry for butting in. [bootyshake]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooops! I forgot pictures!

Here you can see my Mounty getting a new axle. Couldn't re use the u bolts so I am waiting on new ones.

Funny how a cat knows when you are taking a picture of something besides them-

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I can personally say that the idling is normal for these. I used to own a 2007 ZX4 and the vibration was terrible. It was maintained very well, too, but still did that.

For any other problems, you can easily find help by searching, or creating a thread in the Mk1 Focus section!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, kinda sorry to see my son drive off with this today. Happy he has a more reliable car, but I kinda liked driving it last night. Wife and I took it for a little country cruise, she commented on how smooth it drove. My Mountineer is only getting about 15MPG on a good day, the focus used very little go juice compared to it. For short trips it was easier to drive also. I'm gonna miss the lil guy.

(Right up to the time of the 1st phone call reporting trouble that is)

Thanks for all the help. I still wish there was more explanation--pictures of the IMRC ( tumble flaps) repair-temp fix. Oh well. I'm kinda spoiled by the Explorer Forum I guess.

Safe travels all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts