Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK!! Now that all the formalities are over, on to the rat killin!!!

First, let me tell you that I am now the proud owner of a 2000 Focus ZX3 2 door that is electric blue in color. There are no modifications of any kind except for some crappy body work from a previous accident that I did not notice when I purchased the car thanks to a lazy dealership that likes to hide things by not cleaning the car up. LESSON LEARNED THERE!! The vehicle has 114K miles on it.

OK, so now on to some of the "anomalies" I have noticed about this car since purchasing it.

[?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|] [?|]
1) I was returning home from the dealer (34 miles away) and noticed that the car started "bogging" whenever I would step into it. The fuel level had just started to get under 1/4 tank. I stopped at the local gas station and topped it off with premium and it is now running fine, except for when it is under light acceleration (steady increase in speed). It kind of surges, but if I stomp it down, it revs on up fine. I am guessing it is something in the fuel delivery system like fuel pump or maybe trash in the pump pickup screen. I am giving serious consideration to getting the SVT pump, along with an aftermarket pressure regulator and a REAL GOOD fuel filter.
2) The Keyless entry has a ghost in it of some kind. The locking and arming of the system does not always work as it should. Sometimes it will work fine for about 5 or 6 times, then go on the fritz again. The unlocking kinda does the same thing but less hassle. The panic and rear hatch release work fine. I did notice last night after reprogramming the system with the transmitter that whenever I hit the lock on the keyfob and it does not honk the horn, it DOES dim the dome light just a bit then it goes back bright again.
3) The trip meter does not register like it is supposed to. I filled up last night and went a good 30+ miles of running around, and the trip meter only said I went 17 miles. It took just over 2 gallons of gas to refill the car. Has anyone else noticed that and is there a fix?? Do I need to get my computer reprogrammed??
4) Lastly, the alignment of this car was quite excellent when I purchased the car, but!!, after trying to get a burnout going(automatic N drop), it now has a significant pull to the right. It is not undrivable, but I fear that in a very short time that it will chew up my $7400 front tires that are attached to a free car!!

If anyone can offer any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance to all those that reply. Also, if you do reply asking me to try something, you might have to be patient as I am a truck driver and am only home on the weekends for a very limited time.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Heavy E said:
OK!! Now that all the formalities are over, on to the rat killin!!!

First, let me tell you that I am now the proud owner of a 2000 Focus ZX3 2 door that is electric blue in color. There are no modifications of any kind except for some crappy body work from a previous accident that I did not notice when I purchased the car thanks to a lazy dealership that likes to hide things by not cleaning the car up. LESSON LEARNED THERE!! The vehicle has 114K miles on it.

OK, so now on to some of the "anomalies" I have noticed about this car since purchasing it.

1) I was returning home from the dealer (34 miles away) and noticed that the car started "bogging" whenever I would step into it. The fuel level had just started to get under 1/4 tank. I stopped at the local gas station and topped it off with premium and it is now running fine, except for when it is under light acceleration (steady increase in speed). It kind of surges, but if I stomp it down, it revs on up fine. I am guessing it is something in the fuel delivery system like fuel pump or maybe trash in the pump pickup screen. I am giving serious consideration to getting the SVT pump, along with an aftermarket pressure regulator and a REAL GOOD fuel filter.

^^the reason your car bogs is because it wont downshit to another gear. so the car kind of hesitates before it acctually goes. thats what happens when you drive an automatic.

2) The Keyless entry has a ghost in it of some kind. The locking and arming of the system does not always work as it should. Sometimes it will work fine for about 5 or 6 times, then go on the fritz again. The unlocking kinda does the same thing but less hassle. The panic and rear hatch release work fine. I did notice last night after reprogramming the system with the transmitter that whenever I hit the lock on the keyfob and it does not honk the horn, it DOES dim the dome light just a bit then it goes back bright again.

^^the dome lights shouldnt even come on after you hit the lock button. just the parking/turnsignal/hazards lights will flash and then your car is locked. well thats the way it is on mine.

3) The trip meter does not register like it is supposed to. I filled up last night and went a good 30+ miles of running around, and the trip meter only said I went 17 miles. It took just over 2 gallons of gas to refill the car. Has anyone else noticed that and is there a fix?? Do I need to get my computer reprogrammed??

^^the trip meter? does your odometer work correctly. to reset everything disconnect your batery for about 20 min then reconnect it. itll reset the cars computer system.

4) Lastly, the alignment of this car was quite excellent when I purchased the car, but!!, after trying to get a burnout going(automatic N drop), it now has a significant pull to the right. It is not undrivable, but I fear that in a very short time that it will chew up my $7400 front tires that are attached to a free car!!

^^your jsut a dumb ass if you are doing n drops in your car. it tears up your tanny, and how it knocked your front end out of alighnment is interesting. oh and 7400$ tires. what kind you running. if you want to get a burn out going pull up the ebrake and then give it some gas, let your tires start spinning then drop the ebrake. its a little less harsh on the tranny, but hard on the brakes. i wouldnt recommend burning out anyways.

If anyone can offer any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance to all those that reply. Also, if you do reply asking me to try something, you might have to be patient as I am a truck driver and am only home on the weekends for a very limited time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I used to own a 2000 focus. First, your vehicle uses 87 octane by the manual. Try a fuel injector cleaner and see what happens. Also if you just got the car, doing a oil change service is not a bad idea .If it is abnormally bogging down under heavy acceleration, you may want to take it to a ford dealer. Your vehicle is out of warranty, but I believe there was a recall on a lot of the 2000 models in regards to a fuel pump issue. My car was one of those. They fixed it at no charge. I would suggest to avoid doing burn outs by dropping neutral into Drive. You will damage your transmission. As to alignment, check tire preasure if not, take it to a tire place to check it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the advice, but archie[8] [8] , calling someone a ******* because they wanna have a little fun in a vehicle they just bought is not a good idea. Dont tell me you didn't go out and flog your car just a little when you first go it. Thanks for understanding and try CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not name calling next time.

jealm and bonoman5064, thanks for the info regarding the pump recall, I will check into it.

The keyless entry/power lock control module SEEMS to be the culprit in regards to my locking issues. Does anyone happen to know if there are subsequent relays that the control box operates?? I popped the board out of the box and there appears to be a couple of dark spots on the board, but no apparent burning from shorting out. Guessing that the module itself is bad or that the onboard relay is failing. When I first plug it in, it works for maybe 2 locking cycles, then stops working and the relays just go tik tik pretty quick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel Pump Recall

I just checked with the Ford Lincoln Mercury Recall information center at http://www.genuineflmservice.com/GetRecallSoap.asp and it said there are no recalls for my vehicle.

I also did a basic carfax, not the detailed version, and it indicated 9 records for this vehicle. I know that that could be anything from it being sold and then registered again, to being wrecked and then rebuilt.

[???:)] [???:)] [paranoid]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked at alldata but they want $25 to tell you what should be free.

I also took one of the other posts suggestions and unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes or so. The keyless entry system bug is not completely gone, but it is now attributable to just not picking up the remotes signal, or not completed the previous cycle of commands.

The mileage is not back up to snuff, but it is quite a lot closer. It now shows 2.7 miles instead of the 2.9 that it actually is.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You may have damaged a motor or transmission mount during your 'neutral drop' escapade. If so, you may now have a 'torque pull' when the car pulls during accelleration. Have your mounts checked, and fix it as soon as you can if it is bad. driving around like that will cause undue stress on the C.V. axles (the inner joints especially)

P.S. welcome to the board [thumb]

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Heavy E said:
Well thanks for the advice, but archie[8] [8] , calling someone a ******* because they wanna have a little fun in a vehicle they just bought is not a good idea. Dont tell me you didn't go out and flog your car just a little when you first go it. Thanks for understanding and try CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not name calling next time.

jealm and bonoman5064, thanks for the info regarding the pump recall, I will check into it.

The keyless entry/power lock control module SEEMS to be the culprit in regards to my locking issues. Does anyone happen to know if there are subsequent relays that the control box operates?? I popped the board out of the box and there appears to be a couple of dark spots on the board, but no apparent burning from shorting out. Guessing that the module itself is bad or that the onboard relay is failing. When I first plug it in, it works for maybe 2 locking cycles, then stops working and the relays just go tik tik pretty quick.

i apologize for speaking what i thought. and as for me going out and and floging the car when i first got it is wrong. the first 6k miles (car now has 13K miles) i only was under full thortle a handful of time, and still to this date ive only been under full throttle around 10 times. im not hard on the car, there is no need to be. and as for n drops i wouldnt do it in any car not even a rental. next time i will try putting my thoughts into words that a more along the lines of constructive criticism than name calling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am guessing that everyone here is thinking that the N drop I did was under full throttle. I am a grown up kid in most ways, but I dont want to rip the axles out of the car. It was only about 2500 rpm's, which I understand is just as bad because it was a neutral drop.

The pulling in the front end is a continuous thing. When I had the hood up yesterday to unhook the battery to reset everything, did not notice any unusualamount of twist in the engine/trans assembly. Just wondering if I managed to knock something loose when it caught gear and started pulling. I will get it aligned and the oil changed and syntec put into it next weekend before heading up north to help girlfriend move ito her new place.

Take er easy folks as I am about head back out over the road again.

Enjoy your week and thanks for all the information. I hope to be picking your brains about this car for a very long time to come.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just noticed something. The focus that is on the top right, the blue 2 door, looks just like mine, except the bumper has different fog lights, and one of those is half full of water.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Heavy E said:
I just noticed something. The focus that is on the top right, the blue 2 door, looks just like mine, except the bumper has different fog lights, and one of those is half full of water.
lol...that be the RS ma friend...arrrrrrr....

oh, sorry. Thought it was still pirate day! Welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is with a great adue that I must bid thee a fond farewell. Ford dealer says tranny gonna go poopie doopie very soonish due to the vehicle being tboned like a rare steak and having it in a big bind of some sort. He said that the surging is due to the transmission not being able to decide between overdrive and limbo or some such crapstuffs. I think he is bananas. He must not know about a lockup torque converter.

I called the dealership and they said bring it back up and we will get you taken care of today. I said I am in Little Rock driving OTR, soonest would be saturday. He agreed to replace the vehicle with a different one. Gonna go after that F-150 long bed I saw unless they have something else I like in a car. It is white with a V-8 and dual gas tanks. Gonna cost me $100 to fill it up. But at least I will have something to tow the race car I want to build when I get it done.

I really do appreciate all the help you guys/gals/people/its/things [;)] have offered and I will keep you posted on the progress.

Ed (eighthmiler on ebay)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scratch the Fond Farewell!!!!!!!!! Got the Dealership in Jonesboro, AR (Blackwell Baldwin) to do the fuel delivery module recall. Found a bad tire on the front right side and they replaced that.

I am going to be keeping the car and giving that plik in Black Rock, AR a call about being such a dumb butt to not even look at what I told him to. He played idiot and just wanted to try to get into my wallet for a trans rebuild. Gonna have to refresh his memory about doing what the CUSTOMER wants, not his wallet or comission check.

Catch yall on the flip.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
^^^Good to hear everything worked out good! Welcome "Back"... [:D]

·
Registered
507 Posts
I KNOW YOUR EXACT PROBLEM A focus with 114,000 miles on it. did I read that right. If i did a road flar under the passanger set will burn at 3000 degrees. Or a granade will fix it. Jokes aside and sorry to hear of bad fortune. Sounds as if you did not have bad luck, You would have no luck at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts