Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2008 Ford Focus SE with 91k miles. Seems really nice and I like be the gas mileage coming from a 2000 4.6 v8 expedition. What I'm wondering is if there is anything I should have checked out and possibly replaced soon?

The only issue I'm aware or is there is a bit of noise when breaking so maybe I need to get the brakes checked out, the car is in need of some new tires so I am getting those ASAP and maybe it will reduce the noise. The suspension seems a little soft and squeaky when going over bumps.

Also I believe the timing chain and coolant flush are coming up so I should be getting that done in the next 10k miles along with a new water pump since its right there when you do the timing chain. I believe the timing chain is a 120k mile job but this vehicle can damage the motor if its broken during driving correct?

Thanks a lot and I enjoy this forum from what I have read over the last week. I bought this car because it's supposed to be very reliable and its good on gas. Here is a picture of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF!

Moved this to the new members check in section for the best fit, questions that go unanswered can be posted individually in the best section for each.

One that catches my eye is the comment on timing chain replacement. That is NOT a typical maint. item on your Duratec engine, the info you found somewhere matches what would be recommended for a Timing Belt on the Zetec version used in the SVT model sold through '04. Chain is "lifetime" in your engine.

Coolant replacement - Sure, as you're at 5 years now.

Tires sound needed, and the brakes can get a peek while the wheels are off if convenient then.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the move I didn't know we're would be appropriate. Yeah that's great to know, having the timing chain blow up and kill my engine is not something I wanted. Hopefully I can get a list of things that I need to do and can make this car last to 200k.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem, the duratecs seem to live up to their name.

Rod bearings going from lack of oil or never changing it seem to be the weak point, and that doesn't happen often. (when a quart comes out after it makes noise, the problem is obvious)

You didn't mention trans. type., the automatics like a fluid change at 30,000 intervals as a rule (don't think that changed at all through '11 as the basic trans stayed the same). Stick is 100,000 for a trans fluid change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its a automatic, so I should add trans fluid to the list of things to check out. Wish I had a lift would be easy to do that myself.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow. I love that color! Welcome! This is one of the best forums I have ever been on. Lots of good info and help on here

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are Duratecs that have over 200K miles, and I have not heard of any timing chain fails. I had an '09, and would have kept it longer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are Duratecs that have over 200K miles, and I have not heard of any timing chain fails. I had an '09, and would have kept it longer.

Good luck!
My dad's '03 zx3 mtx75 w/duratec 2.3 is just over 200k he just replacing the belt couple weeks ago that was the original. Clutch was at around 150-160k suspension around same time to the svt kit. Needless to say if you maintain it it'll take care of you

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't touch the timing chain.... You may cause more issues such as leaks. I'm at 80k... And this spring I will only do spark plugs, that would be out of the ordinary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts