Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Focus enthusiasts - I just discovered this site yesterday and I wanted to introduce myself. I'm an engineer in metro Detroit, and I worked on the PZEV Focus for years. Like most of you, I'm a Focus fanatic. I could have worked on a number of different vehicles, but the Focus is my favorite, so I stuck with it!

Based on some of the posts I've read, this board is both passionate and knowledgable (on the latter, sometimes incredibly so). I wanted to say thank you for loving what is the best driving compact car in America. I'm proud to have been part of it, especially the PZEV car with the new engine/powertrain, and I hope y'all continue to enjoy it for years to come.

If you have specific questions about the engineering side of the vehicle, whether it be design or testing, I may be able to shed some light. Of course I can't break any confidentiality agreements, and some stuff I just won't know, so I'll tell you that as well.

I do realize that we all pretty much want the same thing - to make Focus as kick ass as possible.

Keep up the good work!
deepwater

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Thank you and I hope you decide to come back and visit us once and a while!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Cool.....this could help a lot of PZEV owners on basic modifications possible....We should get our Zetec engineer.....

Hey deepwater, do you any engineers from the ZETEC department....

Peace...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hey deepwater,

Your insight in the K&N thread is appreciated!

I was wondering if you could share any 'secrets' or rather little known facts about this engine without violating the agreement you spoke of.

I haven't ever been this passionate about a vehicle I have owned, and 100% of that is because I'm always trying to explain to people what an engineering marvel this car is. In fact, so entusiastic... that 2 people I let drive my car, promptly went to the dealership to buy one! We are hungry for information, as you can tell.... so help us out!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
deepwater said:
... If you have specific questions about the engineering side of the vehicle, whether it be design or testing, I may be able to shed some light. Of course I can't break any confidentiality agreements, and some stuff I just won't know, so I'll tell you that as well...
Hey, deepwater:

Welcome! It's great to have an "insider" here. Discussions do tend to get fairly technical at times and your input is encouraged and appreciated!

I'll have a few questions and I'd like to take you up on your offer.

1) The PZEV exhaust manifold appears to have an integrated catalytic converter. True? If so, I am wondering how the catalyst monitor works. Normally there are pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors, and the computer monitors the difference in these two sensors to determine if the cat is working properly. Seems that you can't have a pre-cat O2 on the PZEV.

2) Several of us have noticed that the engine seems to warm up exceedingly fast. In moderate temperatures, from a cold start, the temp gage will climb to the normal position within about a minute or so; at colder ambients, it's still within just a couple minutes. Have there been specific engineering actions taken to achieve this, with thermostat/coolant routing or whatever? The assumption is that something has been done, and the purpose is emissions - warm engine has lower emissions. True?

3) Why is the air filter non-servicable? Is it because it's just too difficult to make a removable/replaceable element seal well enough to pass PZEV evap requirements?

4) What's up with the horsepower and torque ratings? In '03, the Ford website showed 148HP and 152 ft-lb; for '04 the numbers have dropped to 144HP and 149 ft-lb. Were changes made between '03-'04, or were the initial numbers just a bit too optimistic, or what?

Looking forward to your comments, and thanks in advance. Good to have you with us!

·
Registered
875 Posts
soffiler: That about covers my questions as well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vassili95, since the Zetec is being phased out in early summer 2004 with the introduction of the 2005MY, there really isn't anything left to engineer on the Zetec. I was involved with the tail end of Zetec engineering, but it should be noted that SVT has its own separate engineering staff. Also, I don't have vast tuning experience, and I assume that's what you're inquiring about.

Eggyolk, I don't have many secrets to share. The PZEV-specific content in the ENGINE doesn't hurt performance in any way. That content doesn't really involve items that you can modify anyway. For the development of the Duratec 23 engine, engineering didn't leave anything "in reserve" that could be pulled out their back pocket by tweaking or tuning if they wanted a few more HP. To gain more HP, you would have to actually modify powertrain hardware. Hence, some of this was done for the 2005MY hardware to get even more power out of the smaller displacement Duratec engines coming for 2005MY. But don't get too excited - there wasn't much left to do (like I said above) - the modifications to intake/exhaust likely result in only a few HP benefit.

A few more tidbits on intake/exhaust hardware:
-The intake manifold has two internal valves, a charge motion control valve (that activates around 3000 RPM I'm guessing) and a variable induction or communication valve between plenum volumes (that activates around 4500 RPM I'm guessing). Even if you could tweak the engine calibration in the powertrain control module (PCM) for these two valves, I would not advise it because those are optimized for flow (which means optimized for torque and power) and you'd only be hurting not helping.
-The thermactor air or secondary air system dumps fresh air into the exhaust manifold for faster lightoff of the catalyst. It only operates at startup.

Soffiler, great questions.
1) Not positive on my answer, so I'll ask a buddy to see that he agrees before I respond to that one. Give me a week or two.
2) The engine block doesn't warm up at a rate that is inconsistent with other state-of-the-art engines. If it's faster than the Zetec, it's not by much. I'm surprised you guys think it's exceeding fast on the PZEV. The Duratec I4 engines use Visteon's Black Oak PCM. The previous engines used the older EEC-V PCM. The instrument cluster for one PCM is not compatible with the other, so the cluster is all new for the Duratec I4's, even though it may look the same. Perhaps the temp gauge is calibrated differently, but any difference should only be slight. As for emissions - warmer engine block means little to emissions - it's all about the catalyst, which is fully lit before the engine block is fully warm (see my thermactor air comment above).
3) Main reason air filter is not serviceable is like you guessed - to ensure good seal for PZEV evap emissions requirements. Not only is it difficult (but not impossible) to make a filter element seal well enough for PZEV evap, but it's even more difficult to guarantee that careless do-it-yourselfers and oil change shops re-assemble the air filter box correctly. If too many vehicles were found to be serviced and/or re-assembled incorrectly, CARB/EPA could find a way to make Ford liable for that, which could lead to a recall. As concerned as Ford is about recalls, and as many recalls as Focus had for 2000MY, they couldn't flirt with that risk. It's also difficult (and more expensive) to service an air cleaner that is not in the engine compartment. But locating the air cleaner and inlet in the lower fenderwell is not without its benefits. Hot intake air results in lower power, especially on hot days at low speeds (think stop and go driving in Palm Springs or Vegas in the summer). The lower fenderwell has much cooler air than the engine compartment on the hot days. Speaking of cool air, what do you guys think the reason is for the duct situated just behind the LHS fog lamp?
4) No significant hardware changes were made between 2003 and 2004 for the PZEV. I wasn't aware of the Ford website saying 148/152. I believe the final numbers were 145/149 (and Ford doesn't exaggerate even 1 HP or ft-lb like some Japenese makers). Still, 149 ft-lbs in a Focus?!? Is that not awesome? The ST next year will have even more!

Hopefully that's enough for you guys to chew on for a while.

Quick question for the group - how do you feel about the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) of the PZEV with the Duratec I4 engine/powertrain? Engineering put a lot of effort into it. If any of you have driven both the PZEV and Zetec on the freeway, you'll probably agree that the difference is night and day. I know some of you tuners like more exhaust note, but vibration at highway speeds can't be as desirable.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Deepwater, may I say (as Mike Myers used to on SNL) - I'm as happy as a little girl! For a car forum to have gained a member who actually worked on the production of that car, well, that's pretty cool. It's great to have someone on here who knows exactly what they are talking about concerning engines and whatnot.

I can assure you that as a PZEV engineer, you would have cried, had you been present the last time I talked to a Ford salesperson about the car. He didn't even know what PZEV stood for. [:D] I knew more about the car than him, and I don't even have the PZEV motor!

I have a question, too: I see you noted that the PZEV is now controlled by the Black Oak chipset, as opposed to the Zetec's EEC-V. Why the heck is the Black Oak so hard to crack? SVT owners have been waiting patiently for a performance chip, but nothing yet. Will PZEV owners be in the same boat? Or do they even get to fiddle, seeing as that the whole point of PZEV is stricter controls on emissions?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
deepwater, as far as your noise question, I have to say, I think you all did a great job! I'm not certain on the highway, since I only test drove an SPI briefly before going to another dealer and picking out my PZEV.
BUT, when I turn on the Focus in my driveway and run back inside, I can't hear the thing running til I'm within a few feet of the baby! It's great, but sometimes I wonder if I turned it on at all when I step out the door! Good job on that... everyone in my family comments on how its such a quiet little car, certainly compared to my 96 Mustang[:)~]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EuroZX3Focus said:
What motor will the ST be featuring?
EuroZX3Focus, the ST will have the 2.3L Duratec 23 like the PZEV currently available for '04. However, it will be without the PZEV content, and will benefit from a re-tuned exhaust in addition to the other subtle powertrain tweaks for 2005MY.

SVT4ME, most dealership salesmen are just that - salesmen, and NOT car fanatics. I am usually disappointed that the dealerships don't do more to learn about the products they sell, but I also understand that not everybody can be like us (and be crazy about cars). BTW, this does NOT apply only to Ford dealerships. At some competitor dealerships, not only have I found the same level of underinformed salesman, but I've been flat out lied to about the product, and called them out on it. They didn't like me much. About the PCM chipset - c'mon man. Of course the OEM's (Ford, GM, DC, etc.) don't want you toying with the calibrations. They could get in trouble with the government if too many cars are tampered with, so it's in their best interest to put in tons of safeguards in the electronics systems to prevent tampering. But like we've all seen with computer related stuff, the hackers seem to improve about as quickly as the hardware makers....

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
deepwater said:
But like we've all seen with computer related stuff, the hackers seem to improve about as quickly as the hardware makers....
Indeed. No offense intended there when I asked that; I know engineers as a group don't tend to be thrilled when someone takes their work and then messes around with it. But some of us want a little bit more performance, and are willing to make compromises that the average consumer (to which cars are designed/marketed) typically isn't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally found the press release that I was looking for:

http://www.interford.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31483

With that, you guys should be up to date.

What do you guys think of the styling? I'm pretty sure they have the wrong rims on the black ST in those photos. Ford's going to put aluminum wheels on the ST, not those ugly things. Also, the ST will have the new fog lamps shown, and even though it's difficult to see in those photos, it will have a sweet looking chrome tailpipe.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I'm mixed about the new sedan, there are things I like, like the integrated turn signals in the lights... but the interior is not attractive. Certainly not the beige, and I like the oval vents better than the Blah rectanglular ones. Are there any changes due up for the hatchbacks or wagons that you've heard of??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned a lot of diff cars across all price ranges and for general driving fun nothing has come close. I test drove a Zetec in NH and was dissappointed and wasn't going to buy the car. I had my dealer get a PZEV from MA and it was night and day. I did take both on the highway and I felt less NVH from the PZEV. I love the seat of the pants push you get from about 3k RPM. I noticed the Intake next to the left fog light, was that to get the coolest air possible or is there a good flow of air in that area.(as in a Pontiac "RAM AIR" intake)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lil PZEV, the new styling (inside and out) applies to all body styles and trim levels - sedan, wagon, and hatchbacks.

Demo07, that "intake duct" is to provide ambient (cool) air to the lower fenderwell and intake area.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
are that the last word about the new focus ?
man that thing is really ugly..
IMO young buyers will loose interest in the car...looks like a family car...not an sport car...

i have a sedan an imo looks better than the zx3...but i wouold rather have a 00-04 sedan than this version....

have you seen the thread we have about it here?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Deepwater,
I like the new exterior. I always thought the only model that looked good from behind was the wagon.
The other models needed a little getting used to for me.
I really like the angled dash of the current interior much better than the '05.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts