Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious if there are any differences between the two?

fitment. Do they both fit without too much hassle?

Is the green a lot louder? I find the engine quiet so on top of getting the upsides from the snorkel delete and better filter I wouldn't mind hearing the engine more. Do they both sound about the same?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the appropriate performance section, where you can find plenty of prev. debate along with fresh answers.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have the K&N. I do not know if the Green Filter is louder. But I would expect so, Mainly with more open throttle moments. The 'Whaoaoaoaoaoh' sort of hollow sound of the intake (Particularly at WOT)should get more pronounced with the open ended Green filter.

The nice thing about the Green is you can buy the plug for the open end. Which is a cool idea.

If I did not already own the K&N I would buy the Green for the open end PLUS the plug for it.
(so I could play around with it.)
As far as added performance I think it would be a tie between the two products in the MK3

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would try to avoid any kind of intake/filter that's gonna cause you to suck in a lot of hot engine bay air.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
The Green Filter drops right in, no problems. I've had it on my car for about 6 months now. It's awesome. It's defintely loud though! like really loud compared to stock.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback I ordered the Cobb filter from fswerks which is just a rebranded green.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I installed the AEM Dryflow yesterday.
It's not a whole lot louder than the stock one, and the low-end throttle response seems better.
Not sure about power, but I did get cool stickers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Cobb open ended with a snorkel delete. At first it was pretty loud and sounded great (imo), but now it has quieted down a lot even after cleanings. I think the ECU has adjusted to it some how. Works well still though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's not a whole lot louder than the stock one, and the low-end throttle response seems better.
I installed my DryFlow a little over a week ago, and I'm pretty much experiencing the same thing. Throttle response also seems smoother in the 3500 to 4500 range, and I'm getting one to two MPG better average gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I installed my DryFlow a little over a week ago, and I'm pretty much experiencing the same thing. Throttle response also seems smoother in the 3500 to 4500 range, and I'm getting one to two MPG better average gas mileage.
And these guys are only like $40 and are washable/re-usable without oil... not sure why they aren't more popular!

·
Registered
368 Posts
One interesting thing about the DryFlow: AEM says it is designed by K&N, and if you look closely at the filter that is obvious. The closed end says AEM in big letters, the end that goes on the intake tube says K&N in tiny letters.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure about power, but I did get cool stickers.
I found mine to be much quieter than I thought it would be, not a problem for me. It did seem to smooth out the low end a bit.

Stickers? I didn't get any.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good info, guys... sounds like K&N is focusing their marketing on their oiled filters and for the dry ones, allows other brands to re-brand and sell separately... either way at $40 and not having to oil it sounds like the perfect filter to use with the snorkel delete, especially when they say that open end filters defeat the purpose of the snorkel delete: the car will suck in air from the filter open end rather than through the front air intake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would try to avoid any kind of intake/filter that's gonna cause you to suck in a lot of hot engine bay air.
some of the cai you see now are doing just that, but with the snorkel delete when the vehicle is moving you are getting the short ram effect. with the snorkel delete and the lid off of the filter housing you get the best of both worlds. you only get lots of hot air when idling for a long time for any of these though.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
with the snorkel delete and the lid off of the filter housing you get the best of both worlds. you only get lots of hot air when idling for a long time for any of these though.
With the lid off I'm pretty sure you lose the suction of cold air in from the front. With path of least resistance you will always get the air from under the hood, which is probably fine while moving but once fully warmed up and especially in the summer you will suffer from heat soak.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the lid off I'm pretty sure you lose the suction of cold air in from the front. With path of least resistance you will always get the air from under the hood, which is probably fine while moving but once fully warmed up and especially in the summer you will suffer from heat soak.
not trying to sound like a dick but wouldnt that still be a problem with the cai [confused]? and esspecially since the intake tube is much longer than stock which we know makes the intake less efficient. Not to mention the only real way to avoid the heat soak would probably be to do a short ram mod and wrap your header (or get a coated header).

Going back on topic though i have a green open end filter with a closed intake housing and the snorkel delete. when i first did it i noticed an increase in low end torque and throtle response when in 4th and 5th gear[strongman]. plus about a 2~3 MPG increase in my average MPG without changing my driving habits.[thumb]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts