Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my car and plan on doing intake and exhaust right off the bat. A tune would be great.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I recommend keeping an eye on Cobb Tuning, if you want a tune. If they support the platform enough to bring out an AccessPort for it, you'll have the only device you'll ever need. It'll be an OBDII Display/Datalogger/Diagnostic/ECU Reflash tool all in one. And it's not a piggyback, you just reflash the ECU and you can unplug the AP.

It's a truly amazing tool, they have them for several cars now.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Though I dont own one, it would be cool to see an Accessport in a focus.

man neither of my cars even has OBII.
An 02 Focus doesn't have one? I thought it was 96 and newer?

And yes, an AP in a Focus would be badass. Cobb said they wouldn't support the platform until they got a GDI engine. Well now they get that, AND a turbocharged variant.

They should hop on the bandwagon. We're much nicer than the Mazdaspeed 3 guys, lol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I recommend keeping an eye on Cobb Tuning, if you want a tune. If they support the platform enough to bring out an AccessPort for it, you'll have the only device you'll ever need. It'll be an OBDII Display/Datalogger/Diagnostic/ECU Reflash tool all in one. And it's not a piggyback, you just reflash the ECU and you can unplug the AP.

How much does one of those tunes typically run for? and how effective are the improvements?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sounds like the smart thing to do. Can't wait for the goodies to be released

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Well the device itself retails around $6-700. You can tune yourself or pay for a tune from any Cobb location or any Cobb certified tuner, of which there are several, and prices will vary from shop to shop.

If your adept at tuning, I recommend playing with it yourself, they have free tuning software (AccessTuner Race) that allows you to build maps and tweak maps for the car, use small increments and datalogging as you go, to make sure you're all within reason.

But be careful on our N/A engine, it's a pretty high-compression engine and that doesn't leave a lot of room for playing around as I've read around.

And Kaputt, the improvements are phenomenal. On the 2008 Impreza WRX (the 228bhp one), an out of the box or over-the-shelf (OTS they use) tune would put the car in roughly the same power area as the 2009 (upgraded, 265bhp WRX).

The Mazdaspeed 3 saw less OTS improvement, but after Cobb unlocked more and more ECU parameters, it's the most comprehensive tuning platform offered for the car now.

So just sit tight and let them work their magic. They already built a custom turbo setup N/A Focus for SEMA, I'm sure they're on board.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
True this COBB thing could be a good thing (I like them, they're local [hihi]) but they offer some cool functions with the AP. Or they did last time I looked through their stuff for the fun of it. Maybe even see some Cobb exhaust systems or even "stage" kits.

Yeah 96 and newer have OBDII but it doesn't work well when there's no harness to go in the car [hihi]. Makes me sad though because I miss my scangauge.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a bad price for a tune. You will definitely see better gains from simple bolt on. I'm ready to drop some $ on a nice catback. I like FSWERKS

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Not a bad price for a tune. You will definitely see better gains from simple bolt on. I'm ready to drop some $ on a nice catback. I like FSWERKS
Not on a turbo'd car you won't. Since turbo'd cars are generally tuned specifically from the factory, bolt-ons don't do much for them unless the car is properly re-tuned to take advantage of them.

With an N/A car, like the Focus right now, bolt-ons will yield a greater result.

The AP would still be a highly useful tool.

True this COBB thing could be a good thing (I like them, they're local [hihi]) but they offer some cool functions with the AP. Or they did last time I looked through their stuff for the fun of it. Maybe even see some Cobb exhaust systems or even "stage" kits.

Yeah 96 and newer have OBDII but it doesn't work well when there's no harness to go in the car [hihi]. Makes me sad though because I miss my scangauge.
Makes sense now, I kinda realized that after I saw the 5.7L swap thing. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts