Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I went to get lunch for me and the guys at work. I didn't realize it at the time, but the bag they put the fries in had grease leaking throgh the bottom of the bag. Needless to say, of course I sat the bags in the passenger seat and a nice puddle of grease leaked into the seat. Never in my lifetime have I had that problem up till then, and of course didn't notice it until I got back and picked up the bags. I have some upholstry cleaner called "tough stuff" that i've used for quite some time for normal stains and stuff and it works wonders, but does nothing for this particular stain, as I have already tried. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to use or any remedies that might get the grease out. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, steam cleaner would definitely do the trick, but I don't have one, and don't know of anyone who has one, so would have to either rent one or take it to a detail shop, which I despise. I'll check into the simple green, as long as it wouldn't stain or anything, then I would for sure give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
you might try spraying the spot with simple green, the applying a small amount of water, up to a cup or so, depending on the size of the spot, then immediately placing a clean, white towel over the water and then placing a hot iron over the towel. this will absorb the excess water, but also immediately convert it to steam, and it will draw out all the water, the simple green, and hopefully the stain will come along too, all ending up in the towel. it worked for a coffee stain on a carpet, but i didn't use simple green, just water. the thing is, don't use a colored towel, it might bleed into the seat - white is best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Might try lighter fluid. Need something to desolve the grease. Blott it not rub. Or even finger nail polish remover. I would you lighter fluid first.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like there's many options, if one doesn't work, i'll go to the next. If there is anything else you can think of that might help, then i'm all ears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for the record, Tuff Stuff is really the best interior cleaner ive ever used. Too bad it didnt work for you. Its always gotten out stains for me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I was really suprised the tuff stuff didn't work either. I've used it for many years for every stain i've ever had in every vehicle i've cleaned or owned and it's done wonders. I have tried a few other things before I found the tuff stuff, but the tuff stuff came out to work the best for me. I kinda figured though that it would take something a lil stronger to get out grease. I have yet to get it out cause i've either been busy with work or it's been too cold and rainy to mess with it. Hopefully this coming weekend I will be able to work with it and and try some of the things that were mentioned from you guys. Thanks again for all the good advice.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would reccomend simple green too, just think of what that stuff did to your seat, and you are eating it! LOL Theres motivation not to eat fast food

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
tuff stuff is good, but i've always been a bigger fan of the prestone interior cleaner. jeremy's idea sounds like a winner, though. i've heard of people doing this before with good results.

MIke

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i've been so busy with work and not to mention it's been all cold and rainy, I just now got around to working on the grease stain again. Well I didn't have any simple green, nor did I have anything like lighter fluid or fingernail polish remover, so I tried the tuff stuff again along with steaming hot water. First I sprayed it down with tuff stuff and let it soak in, then took a glass of steaming hot water and poured on there hoping that would draw up the grease and then took the shop vac and went to town on sucking it up. Wouldn't know for sure till it dried. So got in this morning to go to work, and it looked like it worked. The only problem is, everytime I have used that tuff stuff, wherever I sprayed it, it leaves a stain where I use it. So now the orginal stain is up, but now the tuff stuff and the water left it's own stain. I knew it did that because I had that problem with the driver seat, and the only thing I could do for it not to show was clean the whole bottom portion of the seat. Guess what i'm going to eventually do is invest in one of those portable steam cleaners and just steam clean them. Seems to be the only way to truly get them clean and not to have the bother of these cleaners.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Step 1: Apply a small amount of dry-cleaning solvent or alcohol to the stain. Use small amounts to prevent any possible spreading of stain. Blot quickly using soft, absorbent, white material such as paper towel or napkin. Dry-cleaning solvent and alcohol are commonly available at grocery, drug and hardware stores. Do not use flammable solvents like gasoline, lighter fluid, etc.

Step 2: Apply a small amount of Paint-Oil-and-Grease (POG) remover (available in hardware stores). Leave for 8-10 minutes. To remove POG, apply a small amount of dry-cleaning solvent and blot it using soft, absorbent, white material such as paper towel or napkin.

Step 3: Repeat steps 1 & 2.

Step 4: Mix half a teaspoon of a clear, neutral pH, non-bleach dishwashing liquid with one cup of warm water. Apply it to the stain and leave for 5-10 minutes for best results. Rinse with warm water. You may have to rinse it several times to completely remove the residues. Never use automatic dishwasher detergent because it may contain bleaches that harm the textiles. Never use a laundry detergent because it may contain fluorescent dyes that may affect the dyes.

Step 5: Mix two tablespoons of household ammonia in one cup of water. Apply it to the stain and leave it for less than a minute. Blot using soft, absorbent, white material such as paper towel or napkin.

Step 6: Mix 1/3 cup of white vinegar to 2/3 cup of water. Apply it to the stain and leave it for less than a minute. Blot using soft, absorbent, white material such as paper towel or napkin.

Step 7: Rinse with water and blot completely using soft, white, absorbent material.

·
Registered
170 Posts
alcohol isn't flammable? I wouldn't put a match to it myself. Indy cars and some drag cars us alcohol as a fuel. The general step above are good.

·
Registered
756 Posts
In a couple of weeks I will have my own brand for removing stubborn spots and manufactured to exacting specifications for the auto industry. Watch for it in the next 3-4 weeks:)
I believe everyone will be impressed with the performance and ease of use (MUCH easier and faster than the above home remedy. This has been in the works for about a year and almost ready to be released )

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Just so everyone knows, turtle's own brand of stain cleaner doesn't work. I got a mountain dew live wire stain in my carpet and it won't budge it. Nor does oxyclean either.

·
Registered
756 Posts
waynestowels said:
In a couple of weeks I will have my own brand for removing stubborn spots and manufactured to exacting specifications for the auto industry. Watch for it in the next 3-4 weeks:)
I believe everyone will be impressed with the performance and ease of use (MUCH easier and faster than the above home remedy. This has been in the works for about a year and almost ready to be released )
It is finally here!!! :)
Works great and very easy to use. It is a concentrate, not watered down, so a bottle will last a looong time. It is also good gor home carpets:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts