Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! [wave]

I got a project for myself to do before summer. I was able to get these at a decent price. Only catch is they are peeling really badly, and 1 rim has some curb rash that will need to be repaired. I couldn't pass them up though, as they just look too good. I will be taking the 1 rim in for the repair, but I hope to do the refinish and paint myself.

That brings me to the advice part! Does anyone here have any experience with doing this? Any best practices that I should follow? Thanks for any and all advice!

Also these have TPMS's still on them. I am pretty sure my 2002 ZX5 cannot take advantage of those.

Attachments

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Thye really aren't that bad looking! I would sand it down, are you going to powder coat them or whats the plans if you make it that far?

Good luck with the rash, I don't know how to tell you to fix that. Love these wheels!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I just re-finished a set of these rims.
Went from this...

to this...

Lots of patience and fresh sandpaper. Did a dry 220 grit sanding to blend in the peeling clearcoat, then a wet 400 grit to sand out the scratches then a 800 wet sand to smooth things out. All by hand-took me a week off and on to just sand.
Then three coats of color and two coats of clear all applied within an hour or so. Just allowed the paint to dry about 10 minutes between coats and then allowed it to dry for several days before mounting tires.
And the rash-just some 5 minute JB Weld and sand to shape.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand of paint did you use? I am going to be doing rattle-can as I'm trying to keep cost down.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
you might also try some aircraft stripper to see if you can the paint off that way instead of sanding it all down. You will still need to sand and use a self etching primer but not having to sand all the pain down will save you time. I know you want to keep costs down but might call a few places to see how much media blasting costs and/or how much to powder coat; just to have an idea before you spend money on paint and supplies.

Also, do some reading in the how to section to get some ideas on what works best:
Paint:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167906

Repair:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112771

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Aircraft stripper is wonderful stuff but for those on a budget replace chemicals and etch primer with elbow grease. Sandpaper is cheap and here is a link to the paint I used...
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/auto-hiperf-wheel-graphite/840116
Comes in Graphite, Silver or Black. And at $8.97 a can (used two cans of color and one can of clear) had them painted for under $30. Yes birds fly over my house going "cheep cheep"!
One point to make-if the inside is in good shape leave it be-that will consume a lot more paint to refinish a portion no one will really see (unless you want show quality wheels).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Those look good.

I hate it when they aren't mounted with the marks at the valve stems, takes just that much more weight to balance them. (yellow circles)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Red dot takes precedence (assuming they mounted it on the low point of the rim).
Does any tire shop really go that far?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have yet to see one go that far.. theyd rather stick a sheet of weights on them.

Rims look great by the way. :)

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I hate it when they aren't mounted with the marks at the valve stems, takes just that much more weight to balance them. (yellow circles)
SO thats what the yellow circles are for! now I know, saw them on my car and wondered.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not all use them, I remember mounting Motorcycle Cheng-Shin tires without, Dunlops with the yellow circles, and Metzlers with a small red dot.

Lightest point on the tire, to match with the stem for a heavy spot on the rim.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The red dot is the high point of the tire-wheels should have a stamp or mark to indicate the low point. Highest point of the tire goes at the lowest point of the wheel to give you a better ride.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good to know, I missed your earlier post on the red dot when I responded to Jeff's quote reply on yellow circles.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Nice resto on the wheels, the color looks great.

I have yet to see one go that far.. theyd rather stick a sheet of weights on them.

Rims look great by the way. :)
One thing I like about these rims is that they can't throw unsightly clip-on weights on the front. Bad thing with the stick on weights is that they fall off after a few years, and you're wondering, "what the hell was that noise?" when they do.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll love that combination of wheels & suspension.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts