Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched and read about front end noise but can't match my symptoms to what I saw. First, my car has 4 matching tires, the front tread is about 60% remaining, no evidence of cupping and wear is even across the tire. Pressure is 32 psi. My problem is a grating noise that is speed dependent. My noise changes as my speed changes. I jacked up the car and spun all 4 wheels by hand. No noise from rear. But both fronts have a slight grating sound. No other symptoms, I grasped the tires to see if there was any play in them, no play. Car drives perfectly at freeway speed, no vibration, no rumble or grinding when turning corners. So I am left to wonder if this is early stage front wheel bearing failure, brake pads dragging on rotors or? I just purchased my car [San Diego car, 93k miles]. [I drove an '01 SE sedan automatic w/72k miles and no similar noise, and an '05 ZX4 automatic sedan, 74k miles, no noise but I fell in love with the wagon]

·
Registered
438 Posts
My first guess would be brake pads, second would be bearings.
When you are driving down the road, and you encounter a sweeping right or left turn, does the sound change? That is indicative of wheel bearings as side loads change.
Pull the tires off and check the pads if you think it may be brakes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Al, thanks for both responses. No, the sound does not change when I make turns, i.e. load the side. It is a constant sound. Will go for brake pads. RE: vibration, will check motor mount on passenger side. MANY thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That mount is hydraulic. You can remove the cap, under it will be a bubble. It should not be collapsed. It may seem fine, but are often the root of vibrations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts