Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the zx3 that I've been wanting for so long and couldn't be happier with it. The first time that I drove it to work though, this highschool kid starts going on about his car is faster. It's a baseline, bone stock grand prix. I don't know what year but it's gotta be pre 97(old body style). I despised this little punk from the beginning and it would be really sweet to walk him. Any info on wether I should give it a shot? O, the Focus is a stick and the grand prix is an auto. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Even if it is faster it is still a very slow car. I bet you can take him.

1996 Gran Prix SE
Curb Weight: 3318 lbs.
Horsepower: 160 hp
Torque: 185 ft-lbs.

[offtopic] Screw Pontiac. Screw the GTP. Screw the Sunfire. Screw the Vibe. The only acceptable car Pontiac has ever made has been discontinued & it wasn't that cool anyways.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, you guys have a way of telling me exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for pulling up that info for me infra3sv. I have a virus that disables my search engines so that was kinda tough for me. I'll be shure to tell ya how it goes

[offtopic]
yeah, screw em

·
Registered
42 Posts
if you get a good launch you should take him, grand prix are dogs, too heavy. they have a nice torque curve, but that doesn't really matter in a drag race. they're good at high speeds but that doesn't matter in a drag race either. if you launch good and make good quick shifts you shold take him (don't forget, his car's 6 years old and he probably beats the hell out of it so it's probably not makin too close to stock power numbers)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I owned a 2002 Grand Prix, trust me when I say the Auto are slow, even with the OD cut off still slow on the launch, but they pick up speed once you get up into the RPM's. If you get a good launch you should take him. I agree with Thom, his car being as old as it is, not going to get the stock numbers on HP and Torque. Good Luck and let us know how you do...

·
Registered
875 Posts
They're lead sleds. Walk him for the blue oval crowd. [;)]

·
Registered
54 Posts
MY girlfriends mom has a 98 gtp and its supercharged, and i thought i was like a 13 sec car but after driving it, it feels like a 15 sec car, it has balls though i wanted f**k with it

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
my buddies 01 gtp is a 14.7 1/4 car, and his cousin is a 13.7 car, both gtps, same year. And it's not bs, we all went to the drag that night. I came out with a 16.9, bah.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think you should race him. I raced my friend, he has a maroon color grand prix base model with the 4 cyl and atx. We raced about 3 nights ago. He threw up the numbers and we ran. I had a horrible launch and spun my tires for about 2 seconds maybe 2.5. He floored his car and we stayed right next eachother into second gear and into 3rd, but once I hit 4th I was gone and beat him by quit a few car lengths. So I am sure with a proper launch you can beat him by the time you get 3rd. I was surprised mostly that we were neck and neck for so long. I was sure he would beat me off the line. I say go for it.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
You can take him. Practice launching and you'll smoke his "wide track" arse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i don't think they were 'wide track' yet in 97. the thing is...even the new grand prix gtp supercharged with 260hp only runs low 15s... everybody who has one thinks they're fast though cause they're so heavy...kind of like people with v6 mustangs. but a 97 shouldn't be a high 16 second car at best...and with an automatic..probably mid 17s.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well here's the thing. Besides running his mouth all the time this kid's not a very good worker so he got his hours cut. So I haven't had many chances to race him. I did once when we both got out of work at the same time but as soon as he got into his car he reved the engine, dropped it into gear, and peeled out. I knew better than to take off after him and make a run on a thirty degree engine. I love my focus too much to hurt it like that.
One day though.... I won't let you guys down.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Thom said:
i don't think they were 'wide track' yet in 97. the thing is...even the new grand prix gtp supercharged with 260hp only runs low 15s... everybody who has one thinks they're fast though cause they're so heavy...kind of like people with v6 mustangs. but a 97 shouldn't be a high 16 second car at best...and with an automatic..probably mid 17s.
This is too good to be true. I'm up to race a 2002 Grand Prix GTP in my SVTF Dec 27th at my husbands company Race Shoot-out. I still dont know if I can take him, what do you all think?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts