Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you own a gps, then this is for you

after doing some research, and realizing that you can upload custom points of interest onto almost any gps brand, i came across a site, that for free will give you a bunch of updated points of interest

BUT it gets better

two of the categories are red light camera locations, and speed trap locations

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/safety/

that is a direct link to the downloads for the speed trap and red light camera loactions

once downloaded, it will warn you while you are driving, about a 1/4 mile before these points of interest. you dont have to be in a route, it will just automatically alert you

i dont claim that it has all of them, because i dont know. i dont know how well it works, because i only put this on my gps tonight. so i will drive around with the gps on, and see how well it works

i do know, that on a garmin(what i own) that you will also need to download the poi loader software, which is available from garmin, for free. go to their website, and download poi loader, and then you can download the free points of interest updates, and use the poi loader software to load them to the gps

keep in mind that is for garmin. i dont know if it works the same way for tomtom, magellan, etc...

thought i would share the wealth

edit for the poi loader software for garmin
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

again, idk about any other gps brand, but i have garmin, so thats what im posting..lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
don't you have to subscribe to it or something in order to receive that option??? mines a tomtom and i'll have to check it out when i get home and see if it will down load....hope so..:)

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no subscription, its totally non-manufacturer related

thats why i did so much research, becuae i didnt want to pay for it, found the free site, and got them on my garmin for free

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, definately.. i cant wait to go driving tomorrow and see what it does.. ill try to get video too

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
If I can get this to work then I'm going to ruv you rong time!

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, it worked on mine, i have yet to test it out, but i have good faith that it will work perfect

if it does work well, make sure to pass it on to people you know. im sure that this could save people from tickets

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, with garmins at least, it puts the custom points of interest in your favorites folder, ill post pics in a minute

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after you use the poi loader software, on a garmin, it puts the new points of interest into a different location

you can see, custom poi

notice the red light and speed trap points of interest

detail of the red light camera

blurry, but a map of the red light camera

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you own a gps, then this is for you

after doing some research, and realizing that you can upload custom points of interest onto almost any gps brand, i came across a site, that for free will give you a bunch of updated points of interest

BUT it gets better

two of the categories are red light camera locations, and speed trap locations

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/safety/

that is a direct link to the downloads for the speed trap and red light camera loactions

once downloaded, it will warn you while you are driving, about a 1/4 mile before these points of interest. you dont have to be in a route, it will just automatically alert you

i dont claim that it has all of them, because i dont know. i dont know how well it works, because i only put this on my gps tonight. so i will drive around with the gps on, and see how well it works

i do know, that on a garmin(what i own) that you will also need to download the poi loader software, which is available from garmin, for free. go to their website, and download poi loader, and then you can download the free points of interest updates, and use the poi loader software to load them to the gps

keep in mind that is for garmin. i dont know if it works the same way for tomtom, magellan, etc...

thought i would share the wealth

edit for the poi loader software for garmin
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

again, idk about any other gps brand, but i have garmin, so thats what im posting..lol
were you asked to login/password before you downloaded....its asking for a login????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts