Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rec’d my new Magellan RoadMate GPS that I got free for purchasing a set of Continental tires at Tire Rack. I’ve never installed one before – anyone have a best location suggestion for the 2012 Focus?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a garmin nuvi. and it fits perfectly in the SYNC display, maybe yours will too?

I dont use my GPS alot so its usually in the glove box, but when i do use it i just put it here

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks Great....thx!!

I'll give it a try....I probably won't use mine that much so that's a good solution....leave it in the glove box, out of sight, and don't have an invitation for some yahoo to break a window to get it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
in my SEL with MFT, i stick it to the windshield just right of the rearview mirror mount, so when I look up at it, its just below the mirror in my sightline, works like a charm for me

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you direct wire it, I would mount it on the left side of the front windshield where it is easy to reach and program. NOTE: check warranty coverage on your car if you direct wire it as it could be considered, under strict interpretation, as a modification. The same could apply to a radar detector. The other location choice is limited to the plug in in the center console on my 2012 Focus, which will limit you to mount it in the center of the windshield.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use a friction mount on my Garmin. Just sits on the dash on top of MFT when I need it and pops into the center console when I don't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lower left side of windshield.
A little out of the way, but I remove it from the holder to program an address.
I need to hard wire it under the dash so I can free up the power socket and get rid of the loose wire wrapped around the steering column and shifter.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have a garmin nuvi. and it fits perfectly in the SYNC display, maybe yours will too?
I dont use my GPS alot so its usually in the glove box, but when i do use it i just put it here
i do the same thing with our Navigon, But i put it at an angle so i can still see both screens.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
99 Posts
My garmin has a 5 inch screen- way too big to fit in there. Kinda wish I still had my old one now [bawling]

I have a 5 inch garmin as well, and it wont fit there either... I personally like the 5 inch more than the 4.3 inch - i find it stands out more since there are also 2 other 4 inch screens in the car.

I just prop it on top of my dash above the sync/radio screen... I feel like my car gains an 'extra screen' this way and also gives it an extra 'techy' feel. Anyway, It works great for me and I trust the garmin brand more for my navigation purposes :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 5 inch garmin as well, and it wont fit there either... I personally like the 5 inch more than the 4.3 inch - i find it stands out more since there are also 2 other 4 inch screens in the car.

I just prop it on top of my dash above the sync/radio screen... I feel like my car gains an 'extra screen' this way and also gives it an extra 'techy' feel. Anyway, It works great for me and I trust the garmin brand more for my navigation purposes :)
I included both streams so both would get this. I traveled by air a lot and had to rent cars. I used a beanbag type of mount for my Garmin allowing it to be placed anywhere, on any dash. That worked out pretty well for me and may have application here. I am glad I got the technology rebate when I ordered my Focus or I would not have opted for built in navigation. With navigation built in, I do not have to hide the unit to prevent potential theft.[burnout]

·
Registered
202 Posts
I ordered a ProClip that I modified with an original Motorola Droid suction cup car mount ($11 from Amazon). The ProClip version was $35. It will clip just below the A/C vent to the right of the steering wheel. ProClip has a lot of holders that work with that mount. www.proclipusa.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use my phone as a GPS. Had a hard time finding a place to mount it (so many curves on the dashboard) and the windshield was a bit too much of a slope for my taste. Ended up putting the adhesive puck on top of the radio:
http://i.imgur.com/06MlO.gif

I like the viewpoint it gives, and I don't have to get the windshield dirty with suction cup residue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I ordered a ProClip that I modified with an original Motorola Droid suction cup car mount ($11 from Amazon). The ProClip version was $35. It will clip just below the A/C vent to the right of the steering wheel. ProClip has a lot of holders that work with that mount. www.proclipusa.com
I noticed you have a roof rack. May I ask what type it is, where you got it, how much it cost and how happy you are with it? I want one to carry my kayak. Thanks ahead for you reply.

·
Registered
360 Posts
thanks for the link! perfect mount!

·
Registered
202 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts