Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if theres a nice place in the focus to acutally mount a GPS. I dont no, i just think it would be cool if it could go in a pillar pod, or...in that triangle on the right side of our gauges..or...somewhere else thats easily accessable but doesnt stick up out of the top of the dash, attached with double sided tape u no?

ooohhhh visor in replace of mirror?

anyone with ideas hit me up. Im asking for gps for christmas.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... I orginially wanted the Pioneer dvd player/gps but's it's a little rich for my blood, so a gps unit is option B. I was thinking the triangle beside the gauges. You could easily mount it there with some custom bracket, run the wires through it behind the dash and hardwire it somewhere.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I replaced my huge factory stereo with an aftermarket one and installed mine below the head unit. it barly fits and takes some creativity to build a bracket for it depending on model of GPS, I got lots of practice working with fiberglass, also seen a couple custom jobs to mount the GPS in front of the shifter where the cup holders are.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Here's what I'm using......Two different versions. The second version is the best because it is instantly adjustable to compensate for different sun angles. Since the photos were taken, I've added another Velcro square over the flasher button. And I added another power outlet under the glove box, so the power cable doesn't go over the face of the audio unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Im in the same boat that you are in. i got a gps from black friday and i have been trying to find a place to stick it. i put in one the window underneath my rear view mirror but if kinda blocks your vision. i wanted to stick it between my middle to air vents but the stupid dash is rounded and it didnt stick. so yea its on the window for now

·
Registered
459 Posts
I mounted mine to the lower left part of the window, as close to the dash as I could get. It fits nicely, and it's not really blocking the view of much there. Also have a Scangauge mounted at the top of the windshield, about 4 inches to the right of the A pillar, with the wire ran behind under headliner/under pillar.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've been considering that triangle to the right of the instrument cluster for awhile now. For either a GPS or a ScanGaugeII ... dunno tho. I need to do some neck bending tests to see if up somewhere around the headliner would work. GPS and ScanGauge placement are two of my 09 projects I plan to work on tho.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i saw a spot that was pretty sweet:
a gps hard wired installed and mounted to the very top left hand corner of the windshield with the wires tucked.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
I would mount mine on the left side of the steering wheel up on the dash. Just my opinion tho, idk, then it wouldnt get in the way really.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've been considering that triangle to the right of the instrument cluster for awhile now. For either a GPS or a ScanGaugeII ... dunno tho. I need to do some neck bending tests to see if up somewhere around the headliner would work. GPS and ScanGauge placement are two of my 09 projects I plan to work on tho.

You should fiberglass it in there if you choose that spot. I thought about mounting my Scangauge above the mirror, but it was a little too far to look while driving, that's why I put it basically right in front of me at the top of the windshield. GPS is down low, easy to see also.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i have a satellite radio, not exactly a GPS, but its mounted right under the radio bezel. i actually just used double sided tape to stick the GPS mount just behind the cupholders on the center console so it stays right where it should.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I just thought of mounting it (a flat screen GPS, if possible) right above the mirror, in the headliner........that would be sweet

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine is a suction cup style, and I hung it right below the rear-view mirror. Very video-game HUD style when I'm driving. I don't use it most of the time, and when I do it's running on battery power, so no cables, but if for whatever reason I need to plug it in, my wires just hang. I've been trying to figure out a way to tuck 'em somehow.

I'll get a photo up tonight if I remember.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts