Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, but I need some help...

So today I was driving to the Dodger game, in bumper to bumper traffic, going slightly uphill, when I got a notification that read "Transmission overheating" and it said to stop safely for 8 minutes. There was no place for me to safely stop.

Now, I know the DCT is faulty, and, in fact, my car often shudders and makes grinding noises, but this is something I've never experienced so far. I am extremely worried.

I drive a 2014 Ford Focus SE with about 33k miles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Moved to MkIII Focus section, because the driving tips stickie is at the top of this page.

LOTS more trans. info. in the MkIII problems section.

Bottom line, it can't take constant creeping. Clutch isn't engaged until the 5-7 MPH zone, so you need enough space to get moving that fast before moving in stop & go traffic. 5MPH is a good walking speed, we're not talking very fast here.

The more creeping the more likelihood of shudder on clutch engagement.

Overheat warning for the trans. is based on recent use pattern, it doesn't have an actual temperature sensor.

·
__________/\__
2,129 Posts
So today I was driving to the Dodger game, in bumper to bumper traffic, going slightly uphill,
There's your answer. Creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic while going slightly uphill. This is not a planetary automatic. The clutches were slipping as they were constantly engaged/disengaged. Friction= heat.

Edit: I see sailor already answered. Do you drive in stop and go traffic often/daily?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
You folks can hand out the best advice from experience, I just moved it here and gave it a start since it's not an item you can pull a DIY fix on (General Tech Chat for the original location).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

I've never owned a Ford before, and I won this car, so it's not by choice.

I knew immediatey from my first week with the car, the transmission seemed off, but Ford and everyone kept saying "it's normal", though I tend to believe otherwise.

So the fact that this happened is the last straw. But I don't know what to do. Lol!

My warranty is up in November, and I will have no peace of mind driving this vehicle after that point. Although, I heard they extended the warranty for the transmission, is this true?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
THREE main warranties to start with, all with different years/mileage that apply.

3/36 bumper to bumper, 5/60 power train, 7/70 Emissions if I remember the numbers right.

Then there's the 14M02 extension for the TCM, that's good 'till 10/150k.

You need to check on the 14M01 extension for clutches/seals programming, it's stickied in the MkIII Problems section mentioned earlier along with the 14M02 details. Production date of yours determines if the 14M01 includes you car, check the dates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a shame, since my car was built on "19.10.2013", I guess my transmission warranty is not covered. Even though it shares the same symptoms.

Wow!

Never will I drive another Ford again.

·
__________/\__
2,129 Posts
What a shame, since my car was built on "19.10.2013", I guess my transmission warranty is not covered.
You stated: "I drive a 2014 Ford Focus SE with about 33k miles"

Your car is still covered by the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

As for your current transmission message, you may not have a mechanical problem. That warning is a caution to give it a rest as creeping uphill is possibly overheating it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You stated: "I drive a 2014 Ford Focus SE with about 33k miles"

Your car is still covered by the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.
Is it possible to extend the powertrain warranty out of pocket? As long as I do it before 5/60,000 ?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Is it possible to extend the powertrain warranty out of pocket? As long as I do it before 5/60,000 ?
I'm sure a dealership will gladly sell you an extended warranty, but I wouldn't worry so much about it. Drive the car like a manual. That's what it is, after all. Driving it like a regular old automatic (creeping in traffic without your foot on the gas) is hard on this transmission, so don't do it. Deliberate acceleration and deceleration are best.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Car for rural driving only. I don't often get stuck in bumper/bumper traffic for long periods of time. I dread it knowing I have to leave space between me and the car in front because ultimately, someone cuts in front and I'm back to square one.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
There's your answer. Creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic while going slightly uphill. This is not a planetary automatic. The clutches were slipping as they were constantly engaged/disengaged. Friction= heat.

Edit: I see sailor already answered. Do you drive in stop and go traffic often/daily?
^^^^^ This .....

Creeping the DCT is the worst torture than can be made...

Planetary ok to do it (people got the habit there)

DCT... don't!

It would be like always partially engaging / slipping the clutch on a 5sp in traffic (uphill even worse!!!) ... it will fade (overheat) & clutch won't last long under stress like this everyday.

I think the mistake by Ford / GeTRAG was to emulate the creeping feeling from the good ol' slushbox. They should just have made the car in neutral when no gas applied.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
^^^ excellent point.

DCT will go into neutral when in drive, but it only stays there at a stop with the brake firmly applied.

·
Registered
409 Posts
They should just have made the car in neutral when no gas applied.
Whenever I know for sure I will come to a stop I just coast in neutral and then sit in neutral. It just feels wrong to have it in Drive when you're just sitting there because it's a DCT and not torque converter. And I'd rather force it to be in neutral than let the computer figure it out.

·
__________/\__
2,129 Posts
Overheat warning for the trans. is based on recent use pattern, it doesn't have an actual temperature sensor.
Wouldn't the 6DCT250 in fact have a temperature sensor circuit as it calls out a specific temperature that triggers disengagement?

Warning Modes & Limp Home Mode

If the clutch temperature is found to be rising, warnings are generated to instruct the driver to halt the vehicle until the clutch cools down. The driver can also accelerate the vehicle to cool the clutch through airflow (clutches can overheat in stop-and-go traffic).

To help reduce clutch heating, the clutch will be engaged more quickly than normal, and engine torque reduced.

If the clutch temperature exceeds 300 degrees centigrade, the clutches are disengaged.

If one of the clutch actuator motors fails, then the transmission adapts to this by using only the gears on the other clutch.
If the speed sensors fail on the input shaft, then the gears on that shaft are blocked.

If the TCM itself or TR sensor (transmission range) fail, then both clutches are disengaged and the vehicle cannot be driven.
These failure modes will trigger the MIL/CEL (malfunction indicator light/check engine light).

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
I've never seen info. on an actual sensor, many references on how they "infer" temperature from recent use history though.

First saw that in Getrag info. linked here on the design of the unit.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've never seen info. on an actual sensor, many references on how they "infer" temperature from recent use history though.

First saw that in Getrag info. linked here on the design of the unit.
It has an ambient temperature sensor and being that it's mounted to the actual transmission its going to know. The heat put out (radiated) by the transmission will be picked up by the TCM.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Here's a decent reference article, includes most of the info. seen in the Getrag articles I've seen:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjOyPig3p_PAhXhy4MKHfC5DaEQFghXMAg&url=https://www.motor.com/newsletters/20100722/WebFiles/ID2_ShiftingGears.html&usg=AFQjCNFSLONYcv3OLeovfEwS-WgUBHxVVQ&sig2=suhNIeQzcJdiHvWZ44aLjA

Ambient (outdoor) temp from another sensor (already there for engine operation) is included in the algorithm for clutch temps.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Here's a decent reference article, includes most of the info. seen in the Getrag articles I've seen:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjOyPig3p_PAhXhy4MKHfC5DaEQFghXMAg&url=https://www.motor.com/newsletters/20100722/WebFiles/ID2_ShiftingGears.html&usg=AFQjCNFSLONYcv3OLeovfEwS-WgUBHxVVQ&sig2=suhNIeQzcJdiHvWZ44aLjA

Ambient (outdoor) temp from another sensor (already there for engine operation) is included in the algorithm for clutch temps.
That's a pretty dumb thing to do. Smart in a way of warning the driver but dumb that there is no indication of a built in temperature probe. Seeing that these transmissions have no cooling system it would have sufficed to put a simple probe. So it's pretty much decided that if you get the message it may not actually be an overheat but would be safer to pull over or ease up on the transmission to prevent and serious damage?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
First time poster, but I need some help...

So today I was driving to the Dodger game, in bumper to bumper traffic, going slightly uphill, when I got a notification that read "Transmission overheating" and it said to stop safely for 8 minutes. There was no place for me to safely stop.

Now, I know the DCT is faulty, and, in fact, my car often shudders and makes grinding noises, but this is something I've never experienced so far. I am extremely worried.

I drive a 2014 Ford Focus SE with about 33k miles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Thanks for the responses.

I've never owned a Ford before, and I won this car, so it's not by choice.

I knew immediatey from my first week with the car, the transmission seemed off, but Ford and everyone kept saying "it's normal", though I tend to believe otherwise.

So the fact that this happened is the last straw. But I don't know what to do. Lol!

My warranty is up in November, and I will have no peace of mind driving this vehicle after that point. Although, I heard they extended the warranty for the transmission, is this true?
Hi jehfmaticla,

If you decide to head to the dealer for the overheating, let me know. Send over a PM with your name, best contact information, VIN, and servicing dealer; I'll check into available options.

Rachel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts