Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm getting closer to the time where my warranty is about over and therefore, I'm thinking about a "few" bolt-on mods now. I've been looking over CFM's website, Wayne's, FS's, and a few others. I really like the idea of a few products that I found on FocusSport's site. What can you guys tell me about the quality of their products?

I'm thinking small stuff so far such as; FS Underdrive crank pulley, ST brace, and FS plugwires for starters. I'm especially interested to hear how the FS wires stack up against the MSD's. I recently saw an MSD wires/coil package on another web site and have been debating which set of wires to get. The coil would be an extra bonus but not sure if its really that big of a difference with these cars. My only experience with aftermarket ignition products is MSD and I've been very satisfied as to how well the parts work on my mustang.

Anyway, I like the price and performance "claim" of the FS wires so its a hard decision at this point. Also, the UD crank pulley seems like a nice LITTLE mod that will free up some power. Any suggestions on a certain brand UD or why to get one or not? I'm open to personal experiences shared and opinions. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Get the FRPP plug wires...they are a bit bigger at 9mm and come in the color of your choice :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daeron said:
Get the FRPP plug wires...they are a bit bigger at 9mm and come in the color of your choice :)
I appreciate the advice. Aside from the bigger diameter wire, why do you recommend the FRPP unit over the FS? Color isn't a factor per the FS web site;

Why should you replace your original wires? Here's a few reasons: FocusSport High Performance 8mm Spark Plug Wires provide better conductivity and more spark. Better conductivity and more spark means improved throttle response. The Mag-Wire ( suppressed wire w/spiral wrapping ) that we use is rated at 250 ohms per foot, which is the highest amount of spark you can use without radio interference. Compare this to the 2,000 ohms per foot rating of your factory wires ( less ohms=better performance ). And we use factory connectors for the best possible fit along with 100% double silicone jackets. FocusSport wire sets will withstand temperatures as high as +650°F and as low as -65°F.

I know its only wires so its not that big of a deal.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
i always hate posting in the svt section since I don't have one, but I would stay away from an underdrive pulley. Many people over time experience problems and quite frankly, I don't think it does all that much.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
If I was going to run an UDP I'd try and find the 2 piece set, they are hard to come by since they aren't made any more but that would be my best bet. As for coil/wire I got the MSD and really like it.

PS Duff, I have yet to see a SVT zetec owner complain about UDP's causing problems, I'm assuming you're talking about balance from vibration issues.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anaxagoras1986 said:
Why would you want to get the hipo wires? Stock ignition systems on the SVTF can handle some serious power.
All around tune-up. Stock stuff is decent but there is always some room for improvement.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
svt2nv04 said:
^^some say they do, some say they don't. tom from focus-power says they're good for about 4-6hp
I know that each vehicle is different and that going off of the typical 10 rwhp gain achieved from UDPs on the 87-93 stangs, I'm betting that there is at least a 3 rwhp improvement. Basically, anytime you can slow down parasitic drag you'll free up some lost horsepower. UDPs always seem to stir up those that support them and those that don't. I'm guessing by Tom's many years of experience tuning and all, that he is probably correct. I'm guessing that you're in support of them too then?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MISVTfocus -

Interesting that you mention the 2 pc. UDP set. I noticed that CFM carries a 2 pc. set that claims to use the stock belt. I don't know if there really is a difference in HP between the single FS UDP and the CFM 2 pc. UDP set. Not sure about wanting to slow down the water pump on this little car too much so the one piece crank pulley is a little more appealing.

As for the your experience with the MSD kit, I'm glad to hear that you like it. Did you notice any kind of improvement?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Not to open up the UDP discussion on what i can or cant do to your car.

I have had mine on for around 20k miles, car runs great and revs faster and i felt a difference after i installed right off the bat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lunarc said:
Not to open up the UDP discussion on what i can or cant do to your car.

I have had mine on for around 20k miles, car runs great and revs faster and i felt a difference after i installed right off the bat.
Nice to know. I'm looking forward to getting one now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MISVTfocus -

Knowing that MSD makes good products, I assumed right then that there is a noticable performance improvement to be had. Hearing this, I'm not sure about just going with the FS wires and replacment plugs now. I may have to drop the extra cash and get the MSD kit. I thinking about it now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MSD is a reputable company I wouldnt hesitate buying their coil but from what i have heard there is no gain from switching the stock coil. You should invest in a tune. Best bang for the buck for the SVTf.[thumb]

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have the Essingler UDP (Same unit sold by Ford Racing) and it's great. Its something I would buy again.

I also have the MSD coil and while there was no HP increase, it did help with the car's driveability.

I also have Ford Racing plug wires...you have to use the ZX2 wires if you're going with the MSD coil.

You can get all of this stuff from Karl at www.MassiveSpeedSystem.com

[thumb]

·
Registered
92 Posts
As far as I know MSD makes several of the different companies wires for them. Someone else can tell you which ones. I run an Essinger UDP with nice improvement and 20k miles on it. More vibration but not as much as the rear engine mount replacement. The Ford racing wires made the engine run a lot smoother. I noticed the difference instantly. Also have Focus sport flash which has been the best power upgrade for money by far and a short ram intake.

Worst upgarde for money.... Cam gear. It was inexpensive at $70 and realitively easy to install, however the improvement is small (4lb tq) at 3000 rpm. The expensive part was the Dyno tune $270 ... Yep I was raped! So I wouldn't do it unless you have access to a cheap dyno or your car appears to run under power compared to other SVT's. Some SVT's come out of the factory way off on timing. Mine happened to be perfect as it was at 0 degree's.

The three other things I will consider will be a short throw shifter, throttle body and maybe cams.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For my .02 (well, more than that, because I actually have all the parts I'm talking about...)

Get the FS wires over the FRPP. The FS wires, unlike the FRPP ones, actually use the Ford connectors and are the correct length. The FRPP just don't fit quite well enough, and this is purely an aesthetic mod as the stockers do just fine. So, get the ones that fit and look right.

Forget about any bolt-ons until you've done the rear motor mount and a short shifter. The VF mounts sold at FS and elsewhere are very nice. For the shifter, either the Steeda/FR or the new adjustable CFM piece should fit the bill nicely.

After your rear mount and shifter are in place, item two is a flasher and tune. You can't really do better than the FS tunes, and you could certainly do worse. If you're planning on getting an ORP in the future, make sure your tuner turns of the rear O2 sensor in your tune so you don't have to mess with anything later when you put on the ORP to prevent a CEL from popping up.

Intake (I would recommend either the FS Cool-Flo which is what I have, or the AEM CAI) and ORP/Hi-Flow Cat will be the next on your list.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the UDP yet. That's because I already had a tune and intake when I did my UDP, and I didn't notice a bit of difference when I put my FS UDP on. The two piece kits might do better,but IIRC the two piece kits just resize either the alternator or water pump pulley (I think?) so that the stock size belt can be used. Really, I probably wouldn't bother with a UDP until EVERYTHING else has been done since you should be getting more power out of pretty much every other bolt-on available.

Don't bother with ignition/coil upgrades, waste of time and money

·
Registered
762 Posts
jr_psychologist said:
Don't bother with ignition/coil upgrades, waste of time and money
I disagree...The stock coil is prone to random failure and the MSD coil and FRPP wires made for a nice improvement in the cars driveability.

The Essingler UDP also made a difference that could be felt.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can tell you from experience- TWICE that MSD Ignition- Coil/Wires from CFM plus Denso Iridium ITV 24's will make your car run NOTICABLY better. Also CFM sells the 2 piece under drive pullies. OR the One piece under drive pully. I would say go for it. ALSO a 65MM throt body with the two piece under drive pullies really make the car rev easier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts