Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last night my wife and I went to drive past the Michigan Assembly Plant, just for the heck of it. It's only a couple dozen miles away from our home, so why not.

After we pass the plant, I decide to drive Michigan Avenue all the way back from Wayne where the plant is, through Dearborn, Inkster, etc. into downtown Detroit and then north to Warren where we live.

In Dearborn I get pulled over.

"Are you aware of the speed limits here on Michigan Avenue?" the officer asked.

"Actually, no. I don't often drive out here." I said.

"Well, I clocked you doing 48 in a 35." [nono]

"Oh! I'm sorry."

" Have you had this car long?"

"A couple months. We actually just drove past the plant for fun and are on our way back to Warren."

"And what did it replace?"

"Hyundai Elantra."

"How's your driving record? Is it good, or so-so?"

"It's been clear for several years."

He takes my license, registration, and proof of insurance back to his car.

A moment later he returns and hands them back to me. "You drive safely, sir."

"Thank you, officer." [clap]

I'm pretty sure I would have received a citation if I was still driving the Elantra. [:p]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, blimey, over here it might have been an on the spot fine, or a speed awareness course or a fine plus points on licence. There wouldn't have been any let off...
Chris

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, blimey, over here it might have been an on the spot fine, or a speed awareness course or a fine plus points on licence. There wouldn't have been any let off...
Chris
I wasn't dangerously speeding, sheesh.

The officer was perfectly justified in letting me off.

It was a speedtrap... intended to generate revenue from out-of-towners and, in Dearborn, non-Ford drivers. [:D]

·
Registered
362 Posts
Congrats and thank you for buying American this round!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maybe he has a relative who works for Ford. [clap]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dearborn PD eh? You probably did get off because you we're driving a Ford [cheers]

The wife and I cruised past the plant on our way home from the football game yesterday. I should be taking delivery of my Candy Blue Metallic Hatch SEL sometime next week.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

It was a speedtrap... intended to generate revenue from out-of-towners and, in Dearborn, non-Ford drivers. [:D]
10+ over is generally considered dangerously speeding. And to be honest an officer is never perfectly justified to let anyone off for breaking the law. I identify with being a safe driver and not knowing the area but let's get real, he let you off and he didn't have to, would you have argued if he gave you a ticket for doing 13 over? I'd hope not, it was your mistake and speed limit signs aren't invisible, you should have passed several.

Just my .02. Happy motoring.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
OK so I have pretty much the same deal...... I didn't know where I was or what the limit was and I tried everything but nope. here's a ticket, remember the limits. and that was 9 over [facepalm] now I got a $220 fee to pay.

yet today I'm on the same road and someone passes me probably 10 over and goes right by a cop. nothing. fuuu. lol.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
10+ over is generally considered dangerously speeding.
Signs don't determine 'safe speed'. Traffic conditions do.

There are times when driving the posted speed limit would be dangerously fast (as when passing stopped traffic in another lane), and other times when driving the posted speed limit is dangerously slow (when the rest of the traffic is moving at 15-20 over). Every situation is different, and I stand by my assertion that I was not driving dangerously. The fact that I was let off also attests to that fact.

But by all means, feel free to peg me as an unsafe driver for doing 48 MPH on a divided boulevard with three lanes in each direction... the type of road typically posted as 45-50 MPH around here... speedtraps and school zones notwithstanding. ;)

(I can see now that I should have left that detail out, LOL) [target]

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats and thank you for buying American this round!
Thanks!! [cheers]

Maybe he has a relative who works for Ford. [clap]
This is Detroit... EVERYONE has a relative who works for Ford (or GM or Chrysler). [:p]

The wife and I cruised past the plant on our way home from the football game yesterday. I should be taking delivery of my Candy Blue Metallic Hatch SEL sometime next week.
Nice! I receive compliments on the color all the time! [grinking]

·
Registered
589 Posts
Congrats on getting off! I got out of a ticket a few months back... Got caught going 79 in a 55. It's a good feeling.. But still a bit scary.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I got a ticket once on Michigan in Wayne, when it drops down to 35. Didn't realize I had already hit that point.

It is absurd that Michigan Ave is that slow in most places. Even 40-45 is too slow for that road.

Telegraph is the same...45 MPH and it's four lanes each way in some places. And freakin' Dearborn Heights usually just hides in the turnarounds with no lights running at night...great way to get hit by some idiot in a SUV not paying attention to anything. Nothing like 'hiding' on an unlit, public road in a dark vehicle with no lights on [bash] If you're gonna catch speeders then fine, park in the median with your lights on or so everyone can see you, even while madly texting away. The idea IS to stop speeding, right?.....RIGHT?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
interesting, my first one was by an officer that said he was following me for some time and I saw no one behind me and realized he was right up on me with absolutely no lights on. safe? i dont think so. it was 1am. road has no lights.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was pulled over on Michigan Avenue not to long ago, the cop said my tints were to dark then asked what my name was on here haha

·
Registered
882 Posts
10+ over is generally considered dangerously speeding. And to be honest an officer is never perfectly justified to let anyone off for breaking the law. I identify with being a safe driver and not knowing the area but let's get real, he let you off and he didn't have to, would you have argued if he gave you a ticket for doing 13 over? I'd hope not, it was your mistake and speed limit signs aren't invisible, you should have passed several.

Just my .02. Happy motoring.
Actually, I don't think you have a firm grasp of our legal system. Police Officers are in place to protect "the people". That doesn't necessarily mean they have to ticket anyone at all. In fact, if a call comes in about a guy about to shoot his wife in the face, they're not *mandated* to stop it. Cops have tremendous authority in the business they handle.

Does that mean he should have gotten away? Not necessarily. I stick to around 10mph over the speed limit (as does most of the civilized world) and I rarely go above it. Truth be told it's purely because I don't want a ticket. I was special operations in the military and before that raced for Kawasaki. I'm a *very* good driver and always aware of my surroundings. I don't believe the speed limits should be as low as they are. Most of the "standard" speed limits were created in a time when a car stopping from 60mph in under 130ft was an impossibility!

Cars today are safer than they've ever been. They have shorter stopping distances, massive amounts of technology to maintain control, and the ability to evade, if necessary, something that you might not be able to stop for. There's no reason we need to have speed limits that were created at a time when ice on the road meant certain death.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I just wish officers would pay more attention to the a-holes that are texting while driving, or even talking, and can't stay in their lane, or stop without locking up the brakes.

Me doing 10-15 over isn't the issue in 90% of the cases. There's no pedestrian traffic, the limit is already abnormally slow, and traffic is already doing 5 over as is...meanwhile the jerk who's paying more attention to his phone then the road can run people off the road and run lights and not get caught, because officers are rarely driving around looking for this stuff. They're always parked somewhere and it's hard to catch such behavior.

But the sad reality is that we don't get speeding tickets because we're being unsafe, we get them because it makes the city/county/state money. If it didn't, there wouldn't be nearly as many tickets written. And the previous poster is correct, there is ZERO requirement for the cops to 'protect' you. Hell, even DUI's are a huge cash game. THOSE wouldn't be handed out like candy right now if you didn't rack up huge fees for it. If the city, county and state law enforcement agencies truly cared about safety, and truly felt that speeding was not safe, they would be in clearly marked vehicles, in well lit areas that are absurdly visible, even by the dunce on the phone. Then everyone slows down and gets their thumbs off the phone, even if for just a mile. And you'd also see more cops driving around looking for poor driving, not just camped out in a dark area of the street waiting for the low hanging fruit.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Chris
The Polizei would just make you pay 15-20€ on the spot.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
533 Posts

Hi, wouldn't have made any difference if you were dangerously speeding or not, in our country even 5mph over the speed limit would have generated a fine. It is good that your police seem to have a more liberal attitude then ours that brand anyone speeding as a crimminal...
Chris

1 - 20 of 41 Posts