Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my FC TB installed today and I got a question

Well I had some fun today, I started with helping my friend install a UDP and Short Ram intake on his '94 ranger then we install the TB on my Focus.

It went some what okay, what really threw us was that on the FC diagram to place the TPS, it had two different positions for an 02 ATX. So I had to call Focus Central and the guy told me to use the vertical ones for 02 Foci that have a sensor that is like 3/4 inch thick. He said it was the late model 02s that have them.

Then for some reason they didn't include the proper bolts for my sensor so I had to go out and buy similar ones and grind them down to the proper length. And for the record, they are 5mm in diameter and about 26mm long.

I got question though, I disconnected my battery per the instructions and when I first turned it back on, it was fine. I just took a trip to get some food and my check engine light is on. It was on right when I started up in my garage and when I started up at the resturant.

Is it just because the computer is re-learning? Or is there something else? I checked the TB, everything seems to be tight.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
the FC diagrams are bogus, i used the ones off of www.myfordfocus.com, as for the engine light, you have any other idle problems? try disconnecting the battery again for around 20 minutes, if it doesnt work after that get the code scanned

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I looked on there and those are the ones I used.

I'll try disconnecting and re-connecting the battery tomorrow and seeing if that clears it up.

When I got back today, and just let it sit for a moment, it was idling around 800rpms.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pull one of the wires off the battery and touch the other one with it, that will reset the engine light, start from there, also make sure you didn't accidently disconnect any wires near the firewall.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
cross battery wires?!?! um you can reset the light by reseting the ECU, which is done by disconnecting the battery, not by crossing the terminals

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I think when I got mine installed, Aaron didn't reconnect the battery for like 20 minutes. It works fine and I never got a check engine light or it never idled high.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disconnected the battery for like 20 minutes, reconnected it. Let the thing idle for about 5 minutes, it idled fine... Turned it off, then back on and I got a CEL again.

The car seems to run perfectly fine too, which is confusing, so I'm gonna go get the codes ran.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't got a chance to go to AutoZone yet, the thing was having trouble starting. It refused to start, even if i waited a little bit. So we tried unplugging the TPS and it started instantly.

So maybe if the connection was flaky? Or the sensor just went bad?

Also, how long after a CEL error goes away does it take for the light to go off?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be the TPS because it starts and runs fine without it but as soon as I plug it in, it will not start.

How much is one of these sensors anyways?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FIGURED IT OUT

My dad's escape has the EXACT same TPS and we looked at it.

The TPS is just a resistor that sends between 0 and 4,000 oms and what happened is when I called FC they said use the vertical holes which is grossly wrong.

When you install it in the stock position, you gotta move it about 5 degrees to put it on. And the sensor can rotate about 120 degrees but to use the holes that they said, you rotate it about 25 degrees and if you open the TB to full throttle, it will go past the maximum on the sensor thus breaking it.

When we took the broken one off and used our Fluke altimeter, it registered up to 10,000 oms and not even moving the reading was jumping around and it never got close to 0 when I manually moved the sensor to the closed position.

I think you can mount in the middle holes, which are the same holes as stock however, the holes on the TB are smaller than the one on the sensor so if you were to screw it in, it would still have play in it. So they need to include shoulder screws, where they are thicker on the top and smaller on the threads. They didn't send me any screws for the TPS. Or they need to drill bigger holes on the TB.

I plan to call FC tomorrow and talk to them because essentially they busted my TPS there is no way you can use the holes they said with the TPS sensor.

Since the sensor kept reporting sending back numbers way off the scale, the engine won't start because I was told by a friend mechanic that it is probably a fail safe. I've taken the sensor off and the car starts and is drivable until I can get this situation resolved with FC.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i have the same damn problem oracleguy runs fine and everything but my check engine light is on and i broke my tps im thinking of buying a new one im going to go check my local junkyard and if im not suceccful there im going to go to the ford dealer and see of they can order me the tps[?|]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah check a junkyard. Ford only sells new TPSs for the focus with a new throttle body which is kinda dumb. However for at least my year, I know the 01 Escape has the same sensor and Ford will sell just the sensor for that, 30 bucks. Still pricey....

I eventually found one and I got my TB installed today (I had the sensor for a week, just hadn't had time) and it seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
30 bucks?!?! geeze its a piece of frickin plastic i jus hope that they have a wrecked focus at my local junkyard.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, technically it is a resistor that computer reads the ohms returned and knows where the sensor is turned to but yeah, spendy little things. Your best bet it is a junkyard.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I think you can mount in the middle holes, which are the same holes as stock however, the holes on the TB are smaller than the one on the sensor so if you were to screw it in, it would still have play in it. So they need to include shoulder screws, where they are thicker on the top and smaller on the threads. They didn't send me any screws for the TPS. Or they need to drill bigger holes on the TB
Is this how you have your TPS set up now?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah after I was able to get a new sensor I checked what the reading were when it was on the stock TB and then was able to find the correct position on the new one that only had a small variance.

I used the vertical set of holes, I had to stick the sensor on and the rotate it back (or towards the back of the car if it was installed on the manifold) about 4-5 degrees and the holes will line up, then just use some shoulder screws so it is centered properly and it seems to work. My mistake was I rotated it forward instead of back.

I kinda wish the included instructions were more complete, I was kinda surprised how vague they were.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a note, this post helped me a great deal. I was installing the focus-central 65mm throttle body (for the 5speed Zetech) and the throttle position sensor screws broke along with one side of the sensor. I ordered the sensor but no screws came with it. they are hard to find... i called focus-central and they sent them to me for free.

·
Registered
187 Posts
wow, u pulled this one back from the grave [:p] glad to hear their advice helped and welcome to the forum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts