Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 soundsplinter rl-p 12's, right now i have the bass turned almost all the way down on my radio, the subs turned down as far as they go on the radio, the gain and bass boost on the amp on about half and it's still pretty damn loud

·
Registered
151 Posts
i always wondered what should the LPF be set at? and What the heck is sub sonic for ? is it good to have the lpf at the lowest setting and also whats a good setting for sub sonic

·
Registered
77 Posts
anubis05 said:
i always wondered what should the LPF be set at? and What the heck is sub sonic for ? is it good to have the lpf at the lowest setting and also whats a good setting for sub sonic
Sub Sonic in most amps is a filter which suppress very low signals (my is 15Hz and less) that human cannot hear (but can feel). You can turn it on to extend subs life and to save power (current).

Try setting the LPF to the highest and then turn it down until you get the exact limit of bass frecuency you want. This will take a while to have it done.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Start the LPF with 80Hz and tune from there.

As said, the subsonic cuts off the lowest frequencies. (it's a HPF)
Start with 20Hz and tune from there.

I have mine set at 31Hz.

·
Registered
613 Posts
hey now not all sony amps are bad
I have their' top of the line mono amp
and it does a great job

ahh 300th post,

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had two sony gtx 2200's, they got hot really fast but never overheated. don't hit anywhere near as hard as my new amp either.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you know, that if you have two amps that do the same amount of power, they will sound exactly the same?

For instance, a $1000 ARC Audio amp that does 100wx2 @ 4 ohm, and a $75 Sony amp that does [email protected] 4 ohm, will make the speakers sound exactly the same, as long as they actually put out that rated power. The difference is components used, and build quality. One will last a year, the other your whole life.

Just a little bit of info for ya!

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DetroitBass said:

as long as they actually put out that rated power.
i think that might be one of the problems with the sonys. i had to have he bass boost up all the way and the bass up on the radio and it's still louder with the eD.

·
Registered
563 Posts
With a subwoofer amp you really won't notice a difference. It really only comes into play with main speakers. Most of the time, people can't tell a difference anyways.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
DetroitBass said:
Did you know, that if you have two amps that do the same amount of power, they will sound exactly the same?

For instance, a $1000 ARC Audio amp that does 100wx2 @ 4 ohm, and a $75 Sony amp that does [email protected] 4 ohm, will make the speakers sound exactly the same, as long as they actually put out that rated power. The difference is components used, and build quality. One will last a year, the other your whole life.

Just a little bit of info for ya!
I couldn't disagree more.

Unless you're only referring to sub duty. Even then, the different desings will control the subs differently. The Zed and Arc amps have a lot more control than Tru amps. The eD I tried actually had great control as well. Of course with a sub, the differences will be harder to tell with most people.

As for components, that statement is definately not true. I just want to clarify this for anyone reading. I'm sure you meant for sub duty only.

I tested Tru, Zed, Arc, and eD in the same system. There were very apparent differences that had nothing to do with power, and all of the amps were nearly the same output. The untrained ear might have a harder time between the Zed and Arc, but the others were night and day difference. The eD amp was a lot brighter with good dynamics; a live sound. The Tru amp was laid back. And the Zed and Arc amps are the closest to being neutral, with the Arc being a bit more dynamic, and the Zed being dead quiet in the floor.

Now I aree some people can't hear the differences, or maybe don't know what to listen for.

I happen to have good ears. [:D]
I'm not sure if that was a blessing or not though. LOL

Differences in amps that affect SQ:
Regulated vs Unregulated
Quality of components
Overall Design
Signal to Noise
Op-amps used (Burr Brown, etc)
Bipolar vs Tubes vs Mosfets vs IGBTs (and how they are used in said design)(mostly BiPolar vs Mosfets)
Clipping, Efficiency, Headroom, etc.
Heat dissipation aspect of case
Balanced pre-amp section vs non (affects noise floor big time) (Zed is dead quiet)
Types of Capacitors used, Power Supplies, etc.
Channel Separation
Frequency Response fall-off at the ends (I've seen tested differences)
Various amp Classes A, B, AB, D, G, T, and probably more. (most are AB, D, and T)

Wow, that was fun. I hadn't ran through the details in a while. I kept reading all the debates on this subject and knew the only way to know for sure was to do my own A-B testing. Once I heard the differences, I started researching what's what. Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio spent some time with me explaining a couple of things as well. He's been designing amps since the 60s, so I figured he'd know a thing or two. [;)]

Anyone reading this:
If you want to debate it, you first need to have direct A-B testing experience in the same system back to back. If you didn't hear any differences, then it's real simple...... YOU didn't hear the differences. It is what it is. Some people can hear the differences.

Enjoy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts