Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I purchased a CD silver '04 SVT Focus Tuesday and I'm in love with it. The handling, power, interior....all excellent. I like the six-spoke wheels too!
I want to take care of it, so here are some questions/concerns I have:
1) Will I ruin the engine by flooring it occasionally(I have 600 miles now)?

2) I drive 75-80mph on the freeway, can I still expect 28mpg?

3) I've noticed that the 1-2 shift sometimes produces a mechanical "Clunk" sound....is this a warning sound or normal?

4)Should I wait until the 5,000 miles factory oil change, or get one sooner?

5)I can't find the max speed(mph) for each gear before upshifting listed anywhere in the manuals...anyone know?

Thanks for the help!
BTW, build 1/24 scale models and once the SVT Focus kit comes out I'm building a replica of my car....so if anyone wants one let me know
Alvin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldnt be shifting at 7000 this soon, maybe 5 at the most for the first 2-3000 miles. And that clunking might be because you might not be used to the tranny and poppin too soon. It took me awhile before i got used to the 6 speed. Much different from a ZX2 manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oil Change every 3000, be on the safe side and your car will need it if you have a happy foot and like to race at times.

Also you can drive the car a little hard but try not to red line it. You wanna finish breaking the car in. I got almost 5000 miles on mine and i still try to take it ez.

I think the SVT gets about 21 mpg because its more of perfomance car then a econo car. Make sure its premium. Its the price you pay for an svt but i'm willing to live with it.

[thumb] Welcome aboard [thumb]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on your '04. I'm on my second fSVT - the first, an '03, got totalled on last 12/28. The '04 is still being broken in. But to your questions.

1. The transmission clunk is not something I've experienced with either fSVT. So you better keep an 'ear' on it, take it back to the dealer, so's they have a record of the problem. That could save you later, warranty-wise.

2. Call me old-fashioned, but I can't believe it's a good thing to thrash a brand new car. My advice is to drive it 'normal' but not like you're at a race track. I do know that my '03 fSVT got smoother and faster as it broke-in.

3. An old mechanic/gear-head friend of mine said to change oil shortly after buying a new car. Why? Because of the chunks of metal that wear/break off of the new parts as they seat. Then change it every 3,000 miles, more if you thrash the car. As far as I'm concerned good oil and frequent changes are WAY CHEAP insurance for your motor.

4. When the '03 fSVT had about 2000 miles, I drove it from Michigan to western Tennessee - a 700 mile trip. On the way there we drove through Ohio - home of the notorious Speed Nazis - so I had to watch the speed limit very carefully. On that leg of the trip, after driving like 2 hours, I was tapping the gas gauge because it hadn't moved. I got 37+ mpg on that leg of the trip, about 34, overall. And I ain't lying. Of course, most of the driving was steady-speed in the F-Way, your mileage may vary....

Enjoy your new Focus. I think they are the best value for the money and outhandle almost anything on the road.

·
Registered
975 Posts
hey congrats on the new focus svt.

1- U wanna take it easy - i floored it when i had 700miles on the car and i broke something in the engine but the warranty covered it because i blamed it on the ford :p lol. So take it easy till then.

2- 28mpg is not something u would get out of this car ( as previously stated by other users.

3- Ive heard that sound myself i asked the dealer about it said it was normal it was really loud at first but its gotten quiet.

4- The way i changed my oil was at 1,000miles i changed it and then changed it at 3,000miles. So every 3,000miles change the oil.

5- The max speed isn't listed but if u look in the manual it shows u wat speed u should be shifting at. when i was breaking mine in... i shifted on 3,000rpms. Don't redline just yet..give it some more time to break in.

And welcome enjoy ur car its a extremely fun to drive. i totalled my mercedes benz and this was the next car i got and im very happy with it. No where near the mercedes but hey im loving it. A car i can beat up on and have alot more fun with. enjoy urself!~! Btw im interested in the replica let me kno further details bout it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My response to SVT4life's remark: "2- 28mpg is not something u would get out of this car ( as previously stated by other users."

Dear sir,

Your remark would seem to imply that I am either dishonest or incapable of accurately calculating my mileage. I log every gasoline purchase and stand by my figures. You may want to re-read what I said - that this mileage was achieved while on the expressway, mostly steady-state driving. I do agree that in daily driving, including around-town and stop-and-go, or if you have a lead-foot, you will not get that kind of mileage.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
To answer the question about the clunk sound, I have this too. I know other SVT owners have reported it as well. Mine usually does it when the car hasn't been driven and is cold, like after sitting overnight. As far as I've heard, the clunk sound is not an indication of a problem. Nevertheless I usually go easy on the shifting until the car is warmed up.

Also, is there a 1/24 scale model of the SVT Focus coming out? I wasn't aware of that, or I'd get one myself so I could build a "mini-me" of my car. [:D]

Everyone has a different opinion on what to do concerning break-in. Personally I prefer the old-school philosophy of going easy on the car for at least 1,000 miles - varying speeds, no constant continuous speed, early oil change like someone mentioned, etc. Once it's got some miles on it, let 'er rip! The SVT has a redline of 7,200 RPM - I know my SVT owner's manual supplement has a guide for the speed in MPH for each gear, yours didn't have that?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

In mine, I got 27 mpg on my last highway trip, which included putting around in several small towns on the way to the final destination. In town, I have normally been getting around 20 mpg

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Hello and Welcome aboard. I'm sure you are enjoying your new 04 SVTF.

Clunk sound is for some of us norm, I also have this going from 1st to 2nd. As SVT4ME stated just take it easy shifting till the car warms up.

I took it easy in my car for the first 1000 miles, oil changed every 3000.

Ha, I dont believe I have gotton 28 MPG since my car first months if even then. LOL Then again I like the high rpms, so my lead foot is to blame for my poor gas mileage. lol

Rev limit kicks in at 7200 RPMs as already stated, pesky little thing so watch out for it. [;)]

Again welcome aboard the FF Forums. [:)]

·
Registered
374 Posts
As for your 3rd question I too notice the clunking noise from 1st to 2nd gear apparently it's caused by slack in the cable of your shift linkage. Nothing to worry about....just turn up the stereo.

Oh ya [welcome] and great choice in colour[thumb] .

·
Registered
245 Posts
SVT recommends changing at 3,000 then again at 5,000 and then every 5,000 miles after that. There is no need to change it every 3,000 anymore with newer cars and better oils. I would say that the guys with SVT know what they're talking about. Congrats on the car too. I love mine.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
silver02svtf said:
great choice in colour[thumb] .
WELCOME!!!

(There is no "u" in color!!! Silly Canadian! ) j/k

·
Registered
671 Posts
When I got my 2003 the dealer said there is no "break in" Slam and go. I raced mine SCCA with 800 miles on it and beat the crap out of it. I just got 5000 miles and she takes every lick with no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. everyone! This is a great forum. I had no idea there was huge SVT Focus following.
RE: gearshift noise, I called the dealership and they said just bring it in for a roadtest. On my way there I didn't hear a single 1-2 gearshift clunk, so I chickened out and went back to work! I noticed the clunking sound last night during stop and go city driving(San Francisco city streets). It is a relief to know that it might be normal though. Anyhow I am in love with car. I'm torn between exploring the Audiophile system and listening to that brassy exhaust note! I call it my baby M3 now!
On gas mileage: I am accustomed to driving a '91 Honda Civic to work(80 miles roundtrip) that would go almost 380 miles on one tank of gas, that's why I was shocked at the low mileage of the Focus, but like most of you said...it's worth it! This past week I managed about 290 miles on one tank, with some hwy, city and "showing my friends" driving!

Here are some pics of my '04 CD Silver SVT(red interior) and some wheel shots, until I figure out how to post pics:

http://community.webshots.com/user/alving04

You can also see how I build 1/24 models of my friend's rides.
There are several pre-built metal SVT Focus models out there, but I build detailed plastic kits and Revell is supposed to release a "Focus SVT Tuner" kit in March.

Thanks again for the help, and I'll update you with whatever I find from the dealer.
Alvin

P.S. I can't wait till tomorrow....I haven't had a chance to just stare at the car or even look at the chassis from underneath. I'll take some pics for sure!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gwizzy said:
WELCOME!!!

(There is no "u" in color!!! Silly Canadian! ) j/k
[hihi]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
675datsun said:
Here are some pics of my '04 CD Silver SVT(red interior) and some wheel shots, until I figure out how to post pics:

http://community.webshots.com/user/alving04
Sweet Datsuns! Oh and the Focus ain't too bad either. [:D]

Do you own one of the roadsters in the pics? I've always wanted to get a 510, vintage Z or one of the roadsters but every time I've been in the market for a car there are no good ones for sale. That and I always come to my senses and realize a 30+ year old car is not exactly practical for everyday transportation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts