Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around when this old 2dr sentra (early 90's?) pulls next to me at a light. I thought I could take him cause i have Zetec. We launched and in first he had 1-2 cars on me, second he had about 3 carlenghts, and at the end of third he was about 5 car lengths away. WTF? At the next light he just laughed at me. I am so mad, I dont believe a POS sentra beat me.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
What kind of Focus do U drive ?

LX, SE, ZTS, ZX3, ZX5, SVTF

Any mods done to your car ?

Do you have a manual or auto tranny ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
What you probably raced was the infamous Sentra SE-R. It was indeed produced only in the mid 90's and only came as a 2 door model.Dont feel bad man.A lot of people have made the mistake of racing against this car just because it looked like a plane ol' sentra..This car came with the SR20 engine.It Was 2.0 dohc 16 valves that packed 140 hp factory!!The car weighed nothing and if modded, yeah, it would turn you upside down.I know, I used to have one!!!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
BONOMAN, you beat me to it. It prolly was an SE-R, or a Sentra with an SE-R motor. A stock SE-R ran pretty decent 0-60 times (they were excellent times back in the day for a Nissan Sentra, and still decent now). With mods it's gonna be a pretty quick little street car.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Yup, from 91 to 94 I believe. Then the SE-R went away and came back as a fat ugly "200SX SE-R" that wasn't as fast or as good-handling. And now of course we have the current sedan Sentra SE-R.

The original was popular with enthusiasts, who tended to drive it stock, the way it came from the factory. Now it's popular again, this time around with modders who swap motors, add turbos, etc. The Sentra was a pretty basic car, but the SE-R came with all the right stuff you need to go fast, even a limited-slip diff.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hey can someone tell me the differance between a new se-r and the se-r spec v when I was at the dragstrip a couple of weeks ago i was running close with 1 he was running 15.9's I was running 16.0's.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Sentras are notorious for being sleepers. It was probably an SE-R! These are not PsOS! A lot of guys do engine swaps in Nissans but I doubt this guy had an engine swap becuase he would've smoked you. The new SE-R is similar in performance to the SVTF, I hope you don't consider the SVT a POS.

·
Registered
875 Posts
saleenzx3 said:
Hey can someone tell me the differance between a new se-r and the se-r spec v
20-30hp, helical limited-slip, Skyline GTS seats, 6-speed, 17s

[Can someone confirm all this, I'm doing it from memory]

·
Registered
678 Posts
..yeah SE-Rs.. I might be getting a good ol' 92' SE-R to play with on the streets.. my uncle is selling it for $300.. and its only got 80k miles.. its exterior is in horrible shape which makes all the better.. no one around here will expect it..

·
Registered
17 Posts
It had to be a 91-94 Se-R. They are 2-door boxy economy looking cars. They have the sr20de (140hp) and weigh about 2400lbs. I rode in one that had a T25 turbo bolted on and a front mount intercooler running a modest 8psi I think. It was Off the hook fast. There was no traction in 1st or anywhere in 2nd gear. it wouldnt even think about traction before the middle of third. One of my friends has a 91 with sr20det swap. It dynoed 302 hp at the wheel. He raced a Z06 three times on the highway and walked away from him each time. If you were surprized imagine a z06 owner ;-)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yeah, I would have to agree with the consensus. SE-R's are nice, and I am not a huge fan of Nissan, although it IS the only Import I would consider. I hate Honda and Toyota, but Nissan knows their stuff. I used to have an '85 Maxima sedan. Nothing special about it, until you consider it was in my family until 2001 and had 340k miles. But I know a few people around here with older Sentra SE-R's and even the stock ones are still pretty mean. You just never know what someone is rocking in the lane next to you. But if you love your ride, that's what matters, not who wins off the line. Oh and by the way knightm3, another difference between the SE-R and Spec V is the price. Can you believe the Spec V only has a base MSRP of $200 more than the SE-R? THAT is a deal for what you get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
se-r vs spec v

When i bought my 03 in march there was a 1200$ difference between the se-r and the spec v. Still a great bargain.

I got a 6 speed with Helica limited slip (biggest selling point)
17" good looking & light weight wheels
further tuned suspension
10hp (im not totally sure thats true)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Focus Fanatics I drive a 2001 zx3 and I just got a 2004 SE-R Spec V as a family car for my wife, I paid $14,900 for the car and it's very nice. I got some plans for the spec v too. like a Nismo intake and ehxust. I see evryone also likes the se-r spec v's just like the best car in the world the Ford Focus, so I guess i got the best of both worlds. Any ideas what I should do to the Sentra first?

·
Registered
74 Posts
lol !!!!

You Have fallen victim to the SE-R those cars have better power to weight ratio then we do, and more power.... and If he had work done to it you really would get smoked.. I know I used to have one with H/I/E ran low 14 s -- high 13's Stripped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
$14,900?! was that brand new or a demo? I totally got ripped. I paid 17,200 .. so out the door it was 19,600 I think.

I got audio fanatic package and power sunroof/moonroof thing.

Have fun with your 04, they have a wideband o2 sensor and a better knock sensor many owners and even magazines report faster quartermile times.

03 times posted in magazine was [email protected]
04 times posted in magazine was [email protected]

There is a guy on www.thevboard.com that has an 04 with header, intake, catback doing [email protected] Fastest trap speed i have seen for normally aspirated spec v.

If you want to make it quick, get the following: AEM or Injen Cold air Intake, Hotshot header, catback exhaust, at least motor mount inserts (im not sure if they were improved for the 04 model) then you will have 2.1 or 2.2 60' times and doing mid 14's. Have fun

1 - 20 of 32 Posts