Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving down I-235 one night a couple of weeks ago and lo-and-behold a recliner showed up right in front of me. I had to swerve, HARD, to avoid hitting it. Since then I've noticed that (what I assume) my wheel bearings are much louder, especially when I turn. It's not just one either, and it could be all of them. Its just faint enough to make it difficult to hear. I've had it checked out, but I obiviously don't trust the mechanic that looked at it, or I wouldn't be looking for all of your opinions. What do you think? The car is for sale so I need to know if it needs to be worked on before it sells or not.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has an opinion??? The mechanic that checked it out dismissed it as random noise. The wierd thing is that when it was on the lift it didn't make any noise. So only when there is weight on the wheels does it make the noise.

·
Registered
108 Posts
you really need to eliminate all other possible causes or components to be sure.
when does it make noise other than corners: speeds, accel, deccel, slow rolling,

i know when my wheel bearings went on my mustang it rattled like a bitch only during deccel though. and several people told me it was a warped rotor.

and you mentioned hearing it after the incident on the hwy, is it possible you were sent into a state of extra-awareness and so then notice every noise of your car?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't really say that much more about it. I can hear it when the car is "rolling", and its much louder when turning. When the engine is not at idle, it is nearly impossible to hear. I'm sure that it is present at higher speeds as well but road noise makes is impossible to hear it then. I know its not the gear box because it doesn't stop when in neutral or when the clutch is dis-engaged. I know its not the brakes because the brakes make a different noise, lol. The fact that it did NOT make the noise when on the lift is the key I think. Here's an easy question - how much is it to rebuild or replace a bearing, if in fact that is the cause of the noise?

·
Registered
108 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts