Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if its just my car but when i start the car in the morning its kinda warm and i just leave and i notice that in 1st 2nd and so on the car seem to pull back and forth with like something draging down the road. it does it at like around 2 to close to 3k rmp. in other words the car dont run smothly threw the 2k and almost 3k rmp. is there i can check or should i send it to ford.FORD.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
It's not just your car, I hate to say "they all do that" but believe me this is a very common issue with these cars. People who have gotten a custom tune for the ECU have reported that this "surging" problem either went away or at least got better, but I can't comment on that because I do not have a custom tune.

My car even sputters and "lopes" at idle like a cammed V8 when it's been sitting for a while, it goes away once the car is warmed up though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Same here, once warm it goes away!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
My idle with the stock tune is lopey as well, regardless of engine temp.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
my car jumps up to 1800 rpms a stays there till the car is warm. sorry had to tell somebody

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That is to try to warm the cat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Unfortunately it is a by product of the computer retarding the spark to fire off the cat. SVT wanted a long tube header design which prevented placing the cat close enough to curb emissions on "cold" start up to meet California LEV regulations. They actually mention this in the SVT Focus dealer brochure (the header design and cat placement not the surging). A friend of mine is a powertrain engineer with Ricardo and he made a comment on my car’s surging the first time he rode in it. He said it is a common fix to get the emissions lower but some car models are more susceptible to the surging than others.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how exectly will i get it fix? and how would i or some lower my emmisions if thats the prob with svtf?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Get a tune, that will help a lot...then follow the above mentioned mods to even further reduce the "normalcies" of a SVTF

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yeah my rpm's stick too sometimes when the engine's cold, takes a couple minutes for the idle to get to a normal range and i do feel like i get a back and forth pull but very slight when normal driving at 35-40mph in 4th or 5th. i guess it's normal?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont like it at all i think its anoying. i guess i will get a tune xcal 2 or toms tune and a trotle body well wich or what brand of tb is good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is no "fix" for this POS. It will go like hell through a corner, but not much else. Get rid of it so that I know every Honda is still a target.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill try a tune and maybe boost it later on so i wont feel it anymore [driving] this car is nice but maybe there will be a fix for it later on.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Get the tune. I just got mine from wayne and the surging is a thing of the past. Surging on stock tune is a svtf anomaly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how much is the tune from wayne that would be my first mod for the summer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts