Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I unplugged the grill amber lights, everytime I turn on the headlights the dash display shows both my left and right blinker lights constantly on and when I turn on either my left blinker or right blinker they blink faster. I know the car knows the lights are unplugged. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
875 Posts
You could plug them back in and cover them with electrical tape (so you can't see light from them), then just secure the bulbs somewhere they can't be seen. That way, at least the car would still detect them being connected and you wouldn't get the fast blink. I'm sure there's a more non-ghetto way of doing it, though; I'm sure someone else knows of a real fix.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dathlok, did you leave the amber lights in behind the grill?
I am thinkining of pulling the bulbs, but putting the bulb housing back in all plugged up and behind the grill tomorrow in the am. That's about the only idea I can come up with.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I installed some LED signal bulbs on mine, and it did the same thing. I tried every possible combination of rotating the bulb 180 degrees, and no such luck.

So, I ordered two 6ohm load equalizers from http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm to hopefully fix the problem. Havent gotten them yet, so no idea if itll fix the problem, but Ill post when I do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think you guys are getting it..... I dont want any lights in front of or behind my grill. I dont want lights there at all, hence the new grill with no spot for lights.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
524 Posts
What are you doing for blinkers? Are you running no blinkers or did you switch to projectors/HIDs? You need blinkers, if you did the HIDs or something, you should be able to wire into those blinkers from the others. Darthlok didn't get the issue, and nor did I because our EAPs have the HIDs and don't use the ambers as blinkers. I'd just wire them into wherever you've installed blinkers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, no problem here either with the HID's. Just took off the old grill and put on the new one with no light problems.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ya, if you want to run with no turn signals on the front, do like you said and pull the housing out and leave the bulbs in. When it freaks out and leaves the lights on, and blinks all fast its telling you its detected a problem, so ya. You could probably dip them in black paint or something so you cant see them illuminate when you use the signals. Probably want to fasten them up so theyre not just bangin around in the engine bay.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Which grille did you guys get? And does anyone know if it's only the upper part of the STEEDA new billet grille that fits our rides? Or if both upper and lower fit?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yes i'm going to plan on getting a new grille also. but i'm going to wire those turns into my fenders so i can have the turn singals there. just an idea i thought you could use.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah, the car will think the signal lights are burnt out if it cant detect the load being put on them.. sort of the same reason why putting in some LED bulbs make the car think the bulbs are burnt out.

I would think it would work by using some of those modules some of the LED lights use, it's just a certain kind of resistor you put in line to the bulb and makes the computer think there is a working bulb in the socket. Not positive though, but there's got to be some electrical nerds on here that could explain better.

And I'm sure you know that not having front turn signals is illegal and fairly inconsiderate to other drivers (ie. you're waiting to make a left turn and yeild to oncoming traffic when they are actually going to make a left turn also.. you know what I mean).

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah, make sure you have at least some kind of turn signal up front. spend the time to mold them somewhere else in the bumper or something... that would be neat.[thumb]

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well you could always get the mirrors with the turn signals and wire them to the mirrors and that should close the circuit, thats what your problem is. The turn signals are on one continuous cirrcuit, blow out or remove a bulb and the line is open thats why the light blinks like crazy. the resister trick should work or you can just relocate the light, to a new set of mirrors or to the fenders like they are in the UK. Those in my opinion are the 2 best and cleanest choices, either one will fix the problem the others will know more. But as for me, Im getting the mirrors.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do I close the circuit? I dont want turn signals in the front anymore. The two on the side will do me just fine. I know it's illegal, but so is my tint and exhaust. I'm not looking for legality here, just coolness!

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
^^^ its not illegal, if you have the hid lights, they have turns on the front, and you have them on the bumper.. you should be fine.. as for the problem, ive never seen that happen in an svt before...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Bad contac, or bad bulbs. Thats all

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
^ Yup

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
That IS his problem. He doesn't have the HID's so he has no turn signals on the main wire so the system is reporting low resistance.

Your gonna have to put a bulb in or wire in a load modulator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts