Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's a short story. I was wanting to do projectors ever since I saw the eagle eyes projector headlights for them. I was convinced that they do perform pretty well with HIDs installed. Since I wanted to go for a custom look, I decided to do a custom retrofit with Morimoto Mini H1s. I ended up selling my two Rockford Fosgate T112D4s with my Rockford T1500-1BD system to fund this project. I didn't want to sell it but since soon down the road Im going turbo.

Well here are pics: Pics with the cutoff line, the camera started to fog up because of it being inside a cold house then taking it outside where its 99% humidity. The cutoff is actually sharper than shown

Unpacking:

^^^ 130" projector screen in the background. ^_^

About the kit:
I bought it from TRS.com. The kit is Morimoto Mini H1 with Morimoto 5000K bulb, graphite transparent shrouds, and an H13 mounting plate. It all cost under $155 shipped with 5% military discount.

Im just waiting on my SES headlights to come in, wednesday, and have time off to do them. Most likely it'll be all finished and ready to go by Saturday! Right before my wifes birthday!![wiggle]

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I always melt whenever I see those Morimotos. SO. AWESOME. I can't wait to see how it comes out!

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will add some night shots with comparison of a HID projector and HID Halogen.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are night shots comparing HID Projectors and PnP HID in halogen.

Projector Hi

PnP Hi

Projector Low

PnP Low

Combine low

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looking forward to this. please post pictures during if you can.
Will do. I'll have another thread in this sub-forum on how-to.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
urgh!!! hurry up and be saturday already! i'm really interested, especially after seeing this

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ that looks very clean. That has the Morimoto FX-R projector. My projector is a little smaller than that. Plus the shroud in that pic is WAY bigger than mine. I still wonder how they'd taken off the vertical bar looking things and make it look like it was never there.. I'll find out..

Im actually gonna start working on them Wednesday, open and install projector, but the cure time for the silicon RTV is 24 hours. With limited clamps I can only do one at a time. I'll have one completely done by thursday night, but can't do the other untill friday since I have 24 Hr duty thursday. Thus, both wont be done till saturday.

·
Registered
578 Posts
will you be hacking out the wings like in the ^photo^. i did some measuring and with the mini h1 a or d2s kit the projetors should just slide into the old bulb locals without the need to chop up the reflector. i think the beam will clear the wings without any interference. i am hoping this is the case as i am also waiting for mine to arrive. but dont follow my advice make it yours and do it in a way you will enjoy it. because at the end of the day that is all that matters.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will you be hacking out the wings like in the ^photo^. i did some measuring and with the mini h1 a or d2s kit the projetors should just slide into the old bulb locals without the need to chop up the reflector. i think the beam will clear the wings without any interference. i am hoping this is the case as i am also waiting for mine to arrive. but dont follow my advice make it yours and do it in a way you will enjoy it. because at the end of the day that is all that matters.

thanks for that, I already know the fact that the projector just slides in but the "wings" will interfere with the light output. The lower "wing" will cut right through the light output for the low beam. I've also done an "eye" measurement and the bottom will have to come out. But why do one, do both for a cleaner look.

Also the D2S version has a 33MM rear bulb holder where as the H1 only has roughly 29 MM rear bulb holder. our H13 is 31mm. The D2S will need slight modification. This is why when you order through TRS, you may buy the H13 adapter to compensate the gap. Im not sure if those numbers are exact, this is stated by a customer service rep from TRS.

·
Registered
578 Posts
yah i was hoping to be able to save the wings and mount ccfl tubes to them. oh well back to the drawing board...

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yah i was hoping to be able to save the wings and mount ccfl tubes to them. oh well back to the drawing board...

sorry for the bad news but, IMO, it'll look way cleaner without the vertical thingy. If your going with projectors there are shrouds that allow you to run CCFL on the shroud for a halo look

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
i think they just cut the bars off and painted it white. which i've always wanted to see done. it is very clean and something i would want to do

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If i remember the vehicle where those headlights go on was a white 08 se focus. It also had the Audi style led lights in it too. Which was just a little cheesy for mine. I want my retrofit to end like that but with black.

Headlights come in today, as soon as im off im opening them both.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Holy balls. got into contact with them about making a set
$830 or so with me sending in my lights.

I think I'm going to get them.. spending my SHO money already.. lol

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That really makes me want to pick up a set of headlights at a junk yard and just go to town on them.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well a little update. Got headlight in yesterday. The lens on one is scuffed so I ended up using my OEM set. Once I'm ready to reinstall, I'll open the ses and just take out the dark chrome and install them In.

The Morimoto isn't a drop in and install. It takes a few modifications with the reflector bowl and the adaptor for h13.

So far the disassembly for one headlight went smooth but was very difficult at the bottom of the lens. I have one projector almost fully flushed but will need to shave off a bit from the reflector bowl.

I'll keep you updated and post a how-to with the next headlight.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here are pics of the projector in the reflector bowl. Did a little sanding around the hole but not too much. Took about 10 minutes to fully set the projector in there.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Looks good so far, was it hard to open them up?
Im thinking about cutting out the bars and painting all the chrome white to match my car, leaving the reflector alone of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts