Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was wanting to get a turbo or supercharger, which ever is better i dont know. but anyways, i was wondering instead of spending huge bucks on those, if there was something you could do to maybe put some computer like fans taht run on DC custom mounted in the pipe or custom box to suck air through the filter, and blow air into the engine.

it was just a thought, i realize that its not going to be much, but would it be enough to make a difference, if so, how much air movement would it take?

haha, call me strange, but i was just thinking of a neat project that would be cool to try out. of course i would have a switch in the car, so when i wanted them on, i hit a switch, and that turns the fans on, let me know what you guys think if it would be worth trying or not.[8] [thumb]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
A forced induction system has to push enough air to overcome the vaccum that the engine creates on its own, and then some. The only successful electric-driven FI system I've ever seen was a cluster of electric motors running a gearbox that in turn ran an Eaton M45 blower, and that only created something like 4 PSI in bursts (you couldn't run it constantly, it was more of a nitrous-type setup, switch operated and only on occassion.)

For your original question, turbo is better hands down. Its more upgradeable, provides far more torque and causes less drag on the system. That said, you won't find one in the same price range as say, a JRSC, but it'll give you more than a measly 50 HP increase.

Tom Lesperance (of Focus-Power) used to be the top dog in Focus turbos, but he recently got out of the turbo business and he's just doing engines and tuning now. There's a few widely available kits on the market, Roush and Precision are the two names that come to mind, and you could always build your own kit and have it tuned later (which you'd have to do anyways.)

If you choose to go the supercharger route, there's a few options; JRSC, Vortec, Focus-Sport, VF Engineering or Powerworks (among others.) The problem with a supercharger is it creates significantly less torque, and puts more drag on the engine since it runs off of a pulley instead of exhaust gasses. Superchargers are typically cheaper than a turbo but still require tuning (despite popular opinion.)

You should look to spend anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000, depending on your eventual goals.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
SkaAddict said:
[B

You should look to spend anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000, depending on your eventual goals. [/B]
....that dollar amount will only get your foot in the door...[:D]

·
Registered
789 Posts
finalley said:
....that dollar amount will only get your foot in the door...[:D]
i differ on this comment. the roush stage 2 turbo kit gives you everything you need including the ecu flash that you need. it runs for 4k and that is all you need unless you want to go higher than 12 psi then you will need to start replacing the internals.

here's a link to the roush kit and a list of everything that comes with it.
http://www.turbo-kits.com/focus_turbo_kits.html

GO TURBO

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
focusfreak03 said:
i differ on this comment. the roush stage 2 turbo kit gives you everything you need including the ecu flash that you need. it runs for 4k and that is all you need unless you want to go higher than 12 psi then you will need to start replacing the internals.

here's a link to the roush kit and a list of everything that comes with it.
http://www.turbo-kits.com/focus_turbo_kits.html

GO TURBO

...You can differ all you want, The initial cost of ANY kit itself is only the beginning....You then go on to change parameters, unless oh, then you need to start replacing...
What are those upgrades, free?? what about the clutch, LSD, free??[confused]

·
Registered
813 Posts
Indeed. Any kit will just get your foot in the door as finalley already stated. Kit's have most/all of the stuff you need to get the turbo on the car and running. That's all. It doesn't even mean the car will run good. Tuning and extras end up costing thousands more. If you want to be uber cautious you can buy things like a J&S Safeguard, Wideband AFR, EGR guage, boost guage, etc. If you want some tuneability you'll want something like the PRP and Wideband AFR. To reinforce weak parts you'll need to upgrade your clutch. To be able to pull all that new found power you want an LSD. These are only a few example of where the rest of your money goes. Most will not be satisfied with just the turbo kit and will want to reinforce that investment with extras.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts