Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock P6s simply did not have enough grip for me, so I broke down and got a set of Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. This is first time I've run this tire on any car, having run Toyo T1Rs, Hankook K104s, and Kumho 712s on other cars. I was tempted by the much cheaper Kumho SPT, but I figured I'd give these a try.

I was running the P6s at 34f/28r. I have the F1s at 33f/30r.

The F1s are simply better in every way than the stockers. Of course, the F1 is a summer tire so don't even think of using it in snow, and it will probably wear quicker as well.

The F1 is more responsive, has more grip, both wet and dry, and has a nice, very linear breakaway that inspires much confidence. It also is much easier to induce a drift with this tire, and I'm running a closer tire pressure stagger than I had to with the P6s.

The car feels more responsive and tossable. I feel that it stops better, but I have no way of measuring. It certainly takes the corners faster. I can take wet corners nearly as fast as I took dry corners with the P6s, and I'm taking dry corners about 5mph faster. The tires are very confidence inspiring on wet pavement, giving up very little grip, when compared to other tires.

Comfort, as far as I can tell, is identical or slightly better with the F1s. Noise is also about the same. The tires exibit no wandering or tracking issues.

I've put 500 miles on them so far, so they may give me a little more grip as time goes by.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I can't wait. I have a set sitting in the garage. "The boss" won't let me install them until the Conti's look worn. So I am pushing them hard, and can tell you all their failings.

Like just rotated and pressure stagger was backwards 33 front / 37 rear. The car drove like it was plowing in the front and on ice in the rear. Awkward.

Glad to get info on tire pressure for Gs-D3s, as I have never found a combo that was "satisfying" with Conti's - the best compromise was the aforementioned 37 front / 33 rear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts